Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, August 15, 2017, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 17, 2017, 11:53:20 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 17, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 17, 2017, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 17, 2017, 11:00:12 PM
I'll give you 5 Don

The first man would be an obvious and well known target,the other 4 not so,but all are living in the county and would know their way around a hurling team

Lorcan Mahoney Abbeyleix
Andrew Ryan full back with Toomevara,Tipperary Intermediate and teaching in the county
Brian Carroll,ex Offaly and teaching in the CBS (open to correction there)
Declan Qualter ex Oranmore Maree and residing in Ballyroan
Damian McDonald living in Stradbally and trained/managed DIT fitzgibbon cup teams,also involved with Dublin underage

Nothing surer than you will take this as a personal attack, I'd find it hard to see the above happening.

1) Already involved
2) Young lad still hurling himself (if it's same fella i'm thinking of)- be hard to pin him down to coaching Laois teams in summer months i'd say
3) Already involved with coaching Offaly underage teams?
4) Don't know anything about him?
5) He's the head of the IFA? Surely time would be a problem?

Any of the above would be welcome additions, but at the end of the day it's going to be 99% Laois hurling men who will need to drive this. Very few outsiders are going to be bothered.

A Personal attack??

Throw up your 5 recommendations then,obviously you can do better

Point proven!

Always easier to curse the dark than light a candle with you Keyser

Throw up your 5 names

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on August 18, 2017, 11:21:36 AM

Throw up your 5 names

You are actually incredible. Incredible. I pointed out that you would probably react like that. Who is cursing the light? As I said it would be fantastic to have any of those people involved. In fact it would be fantastic to have anybody involved. There are roles for everyone in this. People can be kitmen, liaison officers, stats men etc. I would turn nobody away.
In terms of actually managing/coaching the teams I'd propose some of the following;

Stephen Reilly
Eamon Jackman
Seamus Dwyer
Brian Stapleton
Tadhg Doran
Arien Delaney
James Hooban
Ollie Hally
Noel Costelloe
Brian Bowe
Fintan Deegan
David O' Brien
Barry Bowe
Liam Lalor

The above represent every Senior Club in Laois plus others.

Find me posts where I "cursed the light"?
My posts generally tend to be practical, realistic and solution driven (If I do say so myself!). Whether it be county teams, underage amalgamations, under age grades, schools promotion etc.
I'm not in the "let's keep banging on Croke Park's door" camp or the "You know nothing (Jon Snow!)" camp where we can't survive without Tipp & Kilkenny men training our teams.

It would be great if all or some of "your men" got involved. The fact is that it will be Laois men who make up at least 95% of those doing the donkey work at underage level with our county squads. 

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 18, 2017, 12:06:46 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 18, 2017, 11:21:36 AM

Throw up your 5 names

You are actually incredible. Incredible. I pointed out that you would probably react like that. Who is cursing the light? As I said it would be fantastic to have any of those people involved. In fact it would be fantastic to have anybody involved. There are roles for everyone in this. People can be kitmen, liaison officers, stats men etc. I would turn nobody away.
In terms of actually managing/coaching the teams I'd propose some of the following;

Stephen Reilly
Eamon Jackman
Seamus Dwyer
Brian Stapleton
Tadhg Doran
Arien Delaney
James Hooban
Ollie Hally
Noel Costelloe
Brian Bowe
Fintan Deegan
David O' Brien
Barry Bowe
Liam Lalor

The above represent every Senior Club in Laois plus others.

Find me posts where I "cursed the light"?
My posts generally tend to be practical, realistic and solution driven (If I do say so myself!). Whether it be county teams, underage amalgamations, under age grades, schools promotion etc.
I'm not in the "let's keep banging on Croke Park's door" camp or the "You know nothing (Jon Snow!)" camp where we can't survive without Tipp & Kilkenny men training our teams.

It would be great if all or some of "your men" got involved. The fact is that it will be Laois men who make up at least 95% of those doing the donkey work at underage level with our county squads.

From even a cursory look at your list,more than 75% of them are already heavily involved,

be it coaching and reffing (Tadhg Doran),coaching,involved with the laois set up and strategic review (David O'Brien),Playing and on strategic review (Eamonn Jackman),Playing and coaching adult teams other than their own club (Butch Stapleton)

Everyone of these are good hurling men but the net needs to be cast to not just Laois men,but hurling men living within the county,many of whom are making a contribution already.

Both Lists need to be combined,Im sure there are others out there too who could be contacted both blow in and native.

Anyone else we are missing lads? 

Keyser Söze

I agree that most are heavily involved, but you are far more likely to get a commitment from busy Laois men than from busy outsiders.
The likes of Brian Carroll and Andrew Ryan are almost too local, in the sense that they are far more likely to commit to their own club/county as it is so easily commutable.

By my count 10 of those names were not involved in any huge way with Laois in 2017

Reilly, Dwyer, Doran, Delaney, Hooban, Costelloe, Bowe, Deegan, Bowe and Lalor.
I'm sure they are busy in their own rights and maybe its even unfair to be naming them here.

clonadmad

if you want to get anything done,ask a busy man

Be it a native or "outsider"

I wouldnt discount anyone be it Andrew Ryan or Brian Carroll,I see it too often both in business and coaching "agh shur that lad wont be interested because of ..............."

Approach them and find out.

The survey is fairly comprehensive to be fair to the authors.

3 recommendations I would make and these are off the top of my head.

1.All underage Games to be reffed by Referees,currently you have U12 games being reffed by mentors,parents etc

not acceptable and this practice needs to be stopped,because sooner rather than later you will have this slide into u14 level

Solution:all clubs have to have a referee (currently by my count there are 12/13 clubs who dont contribute a ref,we lost 13 refs last year and only gained 5 this year),you have a year to get a ref on board,after that  the club is barred is from all senior and juvenile competition until a ref is in place,tough love but similar has been put in place in tipp and galway.

2.No juvenile/underage knockout games to take place between last week in July and last week in August,play challenges all ye want but it is very unfair on both parents and mentors missing games and/or having to come home from holidays.

3.Portlaoise,love it or hate it Portlaoise has nearly a quarter of the population of the county,the exposure rate of kids to GAA barring CnaB is low,

Street leagues were ran 30 years ago often attracting 100's to watch u14 games,why not run estate/townsland leagues now in both hurling and Football in the parish?,at u10 and u14 level,the scheme could then rolled out to the other population centres.

other suggestions would include

inter schools leagues between schools in a parish

3rd/4th class and 5th/6th class CnaB competitions

Underage B Competition;rule should be 15 starters in a match (if both teams have 15 or more available)rather than the current set 13 and leaving 4/5 on the sideline.

if a club has an A and B team in an underage competition,both panels should be submitted to the CB before the competition start,stop the shuttling of A grade  players down into B/C grade competitions.

More resources put into the whole club/schools link as well.

OTF

Surly with 25% of the population a GDA should be assigned solely to Portlaoise.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on August 18, 2017, 01:56:36 PM

Hard to argue with any of what you wrote. But the above IMO is mostly the responsibility of individual clubs. And some clubs are doing it very well.

I don't agree with the holiday window either. Maybe a two week one. Firstly if we want to develop skillful hurlers finals should be in good weather and rewarding skillful teams, not mullocking about in October.
I actually think that all club underage finals should be played be second week in September.  This would also allow our secondary schools to get trial games and panels together in time to be competitive. Not missing players depending on who has reached U16/minor finals.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 18, 2017, 11:13:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 18, 2017, 01:56:36 PM

Hard to argue with any of what you wrote. But the above IMO is mostly the responsibility of individual clubs. And some clubs are doing it very well.

I don't agree with the holiday window either. Maybe a two week one. Firstly if we want to develop skillful hurlers finals should be in good weather and rewarding skillful teams, not mullocking about in October.
I actually think that all club underage finals should be played be second week in September.  This would also allow our secondary schools to get trial games and panels together in time to be competitive. Not missing players depending on who has reached U16/minor finals.

I wouldn't have them mullocking about in October
Semi's last week August or first week September,finals 2/3rd week in September at the very latest
September weather is normally good