Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 04, 2020, 08:31:35 PM
Quote from: delgany on February 04, 2020, 07:02:12 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on February 04, 2020, 07:10:24 AM
Have city teams not entered reserve teams in the ACFL?

4 belfast clubs out of 10 in Reserve Div 1
0 Belfast clubs out  7 in reserve div 2

Tells it's own tale I suppose.

Swings and roundabouts really, I can remember our club had 3 senior teams playing all county and two senior hurling teams playing all county, plus our divisional teams.

You'll probably find in most cases the club can't find anyone to commit to looking after the team, he's the guy that actually gets the lads out, the players are there, just lost interest and need to be brought back!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

What teams have entered?

delgany

Quote from: JimStynes on February 04, 2020, 10:03:12 PM

What teams have entered?

St Paul's/ st galls/ st brigids/ GnaM/ ....

Rodger Mona

i think from my own experience there would be more of an appetite to play reserves if the leagues were structured back the way they were. there are many good players within some of the bigger clubs who could play against div 2/3 teams. i remember St.Galls, Cargin and johnnies reserves playing the likes of ahoghill, st.treseas and st.brigids seniors in Div 3. Theres no incentive for div 1 reserve players to go and train to play before a senior game against an opposition reserve team with 13 men or a team who have pulled men out of retirement to fulfill a fixture. Which has happened. Not good for antrim football and doesnt give young lads a stepping stone to play senior football. Credit to the likes of Portglenone who have been successful at fielding two really strong senior and reserve teams when alot of the bigger clubs have failed to get keep players on board.

Na Glinntí Glasa

it seems to be a problem now for a lot of years and is affecting both codes.

I rem playing reserve football when i was just out of minor when we were a Div 1 team and there was a load of fixtures to be played (quite some time ago). We dont have a reserve team now due to a lack of numbers sadly and a decline in football in general in the club which has been turned around a bit.

This season we have 2 U12 hurling teams and 2 U14 hurling teams competing in A & B leagues but just the one in each code for football. there isn't the desire for the football in the same vain as hurling within the club.

Ive always put it down to the fact that football just isn't as good a game as hurling is for the kids. they prefer to play hurling over football and that continues right up to adult level as well. If your not a dual club well then you wont have that sway.
hurl like f**k boi!

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2020, 09:53:45 PM

Swings and roundabouts really, I can remember our club had 3 senior teams playing all county and two senior hurling teams playing all county, plus our divisional teams.

You'll probably find in most cases the club can't find anyone to commit to looking after the team, he's the guy that actually gets the lads out, the players are there, just lost interest and need to be brought back!
I have a suggestion. Why don't we just agree to pay the reserve team managers - seems to be OK for senior teams

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: delgany on February 04, 2020, 11:32:14 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 04, 2020, 10:03:12 PM

What teams have entered?

St Paul's/ st galls/ st brigids/ GnaM/ ....
I think Belfast clubs are putting their 2nd teams into the South antrim league to save on traveling - don't think there is same set up in SW?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on February 05, 2020, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2020, 09:53:45 PM

I have a suggestion. Why don't we just agree to pay the reserve team managers - seems to be OK for senior teams

You might just get the nod then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 05, 2020, 09:48:51 AM
i think from my own experience there would be more of an appetite to play reserves if the leagues were structured back the way they were. there are many good players within some of the bigger clubs who could play against div 2/3 teams. i remember St.Galls, Cargin and johnnies reserves playing the likes of ahoghill, st.treseas and st.brigids seniors in Div 3. Theres no incentive for div 1 reserve players to go and train to play before a senior game against an opposition reserve team with 13 men or a team who have pulled men out of retirement to fulfill a fixture. Which has happened. Not good for antrim football and doesnt give young lads a stepping stone to play senior football. Credit to the likes of Portglenone who have been successful at fielding two really strong senior and reserve teams when alot of the bigger clubs have failed to get keep players on board.

No incentive to train div 1 and then play reserve v a gather up and line some 50 year old who looks like hes 5 mins from having a heart attack. 1 week your own reserve team could be decent and the next a gather up. Its shit and falling apart, mad the Johnnies have no team now
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

BrendanAntrim

There are some 50 year olds who lined out last season and are a few years off a heart attack yet!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on February 05, 2020, 10:34:15 PM
There are some 50 year olds who lined out last season and are a few years off a heart attack yet!

I'm 48, lined out in a few games last year! Age is only a number  :D

BrendanAntrim

Same here. Except for the 48 bit  :)

Milltown Row2

imtommygunn

Big derby in the club c'ship bs.

Not sure too many standout fixtures early on.