Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2011, 09:18:08 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 14, 2011, 08:00:28 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2011, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 14, 2011, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 14, 2011, 04:09:27 PM
watching the pressure the leitrim backs were putting on shine and kilbride and yet the just needed a inch of space and over the bar, its nearly impossible to stop them

I thought Shine was very wasteful on Sunday, maybe on a dry day he would have scored 1-7.

His shot selection was poor in the 2nd half but his opening point settled them down and his goal killed Leitrim. Apart from that he showed for and won alot of hard ball out in front in the first half when it was still a contest. I thought he was even more effective than Kilbride in the general sense.
His shot selection may have been poor but everyone one of those shots were hit extremely clean, guarnteed pts if there was no wind imo, there even a 45 which he hit wide that went 15 yards past the goals. Unreal striker of the ball. And i thought he looked sharp and for a big man hes awful composed on the ball under pressure. Kilbride too.

Sligonian stop agreeing and +1ing me! Its startin to freak me out!
Reverse pychology?
No, youve simply started to talk some sense ;)

Looks like us in Sligo have more confidence in Roscommon than the rossies do. Interesting that. I'll leave ye to it.

This is the championship no team is good enough to win.  I never saw such modesty.   What a tragedy Sligo are out.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2011, 10:10:53 PM
watching the pressure the leitrim backs were putting on shine and kilbride and yet the just needed a inch of space and over the bar, its nearly impossible to stop them

I thought Shine was very wasteful on Sunday, maybe on a dry day he would have scored 1-7.

His shot selection was poor in the 2nd half but his opening point settled them down and his goal killed Leitrim. Apart from that he showed for and won alot of hard ball out in front in the first half when it was still a contest. I thought he was even more effective than Kilbride in the general sense.
His shot selection may have been poor but everyone one of those shots were hit extremely clean, guarnteed pts if there was no wind imo, there even a 45 which he hit wide that went 15 yards past the goals. Unreal striker of the ball. And i thought he looked sharp and for a big man hes awful composed on the ball under pressure. Kilbride too.

Reverse pychology?

Looks like us in Sligo have more confidence in Roscommon than the rossies do. Interesting that. I'll leave ye to it.

This is the championship no team is good enough to win.  I never saw such modesty.   What a tragedy Sligo are out.

Not all of us are modest. I ve always liked a team that could win as favourites, a team that cannot win regularly when they are expected to are not a good team. I ve never believed in this underdog mentality and underdog football. In fact I hate it and it has not done us any good down the years. Even when we had good teams we tried to attach an underdog tag every game, no matter who we were playing. When Johnno got the job the first thing he did was deflate expectations. Football euthanasia!
I dont expect that many of my county men share my sentiments however. And it appears that the Rossies prefer the blushing bride role as well. But we all know the Rossies really expect to win. They always do when they are half decent - and this team looks like they could be very decent indeed. When Ros had a great team they strutted like no other team in Connacht have done in my time - not even the Galways that won AI.

Anyway back to Mayo. I m not at all confident about this Summer. I ll put it this way. If we had the likes of Harte and McGar fit and management went with the selection and tactics I outlined earlier in the league campaign I would be c**k sure we would win Connacht. That is even after flatlining last year. Even if Galway had Army and Meehan. But their is too much uncertainty about us and fellas we needed to be fit wont be.

ross4life

it appears that the Rossies prefer the blushing bride role as well. But we all know the Rossies really expect to win.

Mayo fans might also have the"blushing bride role" if they came from where we have been the last decade. Won't be many Roscommon fans expecting a win in the final but we will be expecting a more competitive edge & at the end of the day nothing wrong been a little cautious.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 10:44:47 PM

Reverse pychology?

Not all of us are modest. I ve always liked a team that could win as favourites, a team that cannot win regularly when they are expected to are not a good team. I ve never believed in this underdog mentality and underdog football. In fact I hate it and it has not done us any good down the years. Even when we had good teams we tried to attach an underdog tag every game, no matter who we were playing. When Johnno got the job the first thing he did was deflate expectations. Football euthanasia!
I dont expect that many of my county men share my sentiments however. And it appears that the Rossies prefer the blushing bride role as well. But we all know the Rossies really expect to win. They always do when they are half decent - and this team looks like they could be very decent indeed. When Ros had a great team they strutted like no other team in Connacht have done in my time - not even the Galways that won AI.

Anyway back to Mayo. I m not at all confident about this Summer. I ll put it this way. If we had the likes of Harte and McGar fit and management went with the selection and tactics I outlined earlier in the league campaign I would be c**k sure we would win Connacht. That is even after flatlining last year. Even if Galway had Army and Meehan. But their is too much uncertainty about us and fellas we needed to be fit wont be.

I agree with most of what you say Moysider. I really dont think (joking aside for a moment) the Rossie supporters are lacking belief in the team or playing down their chances. Most see it as a good side that can develop in to a great one. But O'Donnell's strength as a manager has been to dampen hype and mantain focus with longterm goals via incremental progress in mind. You cant blame Roscommon supporters for being cautious after all the bad days plus you have to accept its only a few weeks since they were hammered by Longford in Croker. Then there is the fact that despite last year's success its been a long time since they've troubled Mayo or Galway in senior championship football. They definitely can win the final but to expect or be sure of it would be false confidence I honestly think.
You're correct about the great team strutting but then again it was  great team in fairness...

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on June 14, 2011, 11:06:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 14, 2011, 08:23:46 PM
it appears that the Rossies prefer the blushing bride role as well. But we all know the Rossies really expect to win.

Mayo fans might also have the"blushing bride role" if they came from where we have been the last decade. Won't be many Roscommon fans expecting a win in the final but we will be expecting a more competitive edge & at the end of the day nothing wrong been a little cautious.

Nonsense. If I was confident about pissing on Galway and then Ros I would not be slow coming on here and saying so. There is a possibily that Mayo - even without likes of McGar and Harte could swarthe through the province - but it is a  big leap of faith. It hasn t happened too often, even when we had better more settled sides.
I don t read too much into London, but it did happen. I m hopeful that we will be better prepared than in recent years and we might have more pace and power about us but a bad day can level that out. As regards the last ten years ye have won as many Connachts as we have - we ve had a desperate decade in championship and our qualifier record is embarrassing. Us Mayos are very much wait and see. Put a few of us together and there would be war picking a team. Few would agree with more than 10.

moysider

Quote from: ross matt on June 14, 2011, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 10:44:47 PM

Reverse pychology?

I agree with most of what you say Moysider. I really dont think (joking aside for a moment) the Rossie supporters are lacking belief in the team or playing down their chances. Most see it as a good side that can develop in to a great one. But O'Donnell's strength as a manager has been to dampen hype and mantain focus with longterm goals via incremental progress in mind. You cant blame Roscommon supporters for being cautious after all the bad days plus you have to accept its only a few weeks since they were hammered by Longford in Croker. Then there is the fact that despite last year's success its been a long time since they've troubled Mayo or Galway in senior championship football. They definitely can win the final but to expect or be sure of it would be false confidence I honestly think.
You're correct about the great team strutting but then again it was  great team in fairness...

A great team and I admired them more for their attitude.

As regards O Donnell I honestly dont know. Ros people rate him and that is important. But dampening hype I m not sure about. Hype was laid out as a reason Mayo lost big games in the past but that was a load of bullshit. A scapegoat to cover up bad preperation, bad selection and poor tactics. Football needs to be hyped and not dampened in the current climate. Anyway some of Mayo s best wins, as well as terrible beatings, happened during hype. I dont think hype has f**k all to do with it. As regards a long time - 2001 is recent vintage for me. That ending fucks me up more that losing any AI ever did.

moysider

I did say 'as well' Ross4life, as well as a bit more.

Maybe ye are coming from a better place. Ye had some 'embarrassing' defeats - but only yerselves were really paying attention and it s not too long ago at all that Eugene McGee - the Voltaire of football - had ye down as the pin-up boys of football.

Not the same as calving charolais bull triplets before a few million people in September. Now that is coming from a bad place.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 11:48:04 PM

Maybe ye are coming from a better place. Ye had some 'embarrassing' defeats - but only yerselves were really paying attention and it s not too long ago at all that Eugene McGee - the Voltaire of football - had ye down as the pin-up boys of football.

Not the same as calving charolais bull triplets before a few million people in September. Now that is coming from a bad place.

More than some. prior to Leitrim game in 2009 we had lost 10 championship games in a row on Irish soil you claim Mayo had a desperate decade but nothing like ours TBH.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

western exile

??? For the love of God or Money!!   Would the reigning champions start talking like champions, please?!
Unless of course they consider themselves undeserving of being the champions.

ross4life

Quote from: western exile on June 15, 2011, 01:03:16 AM
??? For the love of God or Money!!   Would the reigning champions start talking like champions, please?!
Unless of course they consider themselves undeserving of being the champions.

Certainly not undeserving, Sligo were the best going into the final & we beat them deserving so. July 17th will be the chance for us to become the undisputed champions.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on June 15, 2011, 12:38:31 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 11:48:04 PM

More than some. prior to Leitrim game in 2009 we had lost 10 championship games in a row on Irish soil you claim Mayo had a desperate decade but nothing like ours TBH.

Worse actually. We had good teams that crashed and burned.

macdanger2

Good to hear SOS might be back - could play MF with AOS on the 40 maybe? Or hold him in reserve more likely.

I'd keep Harte in reserve too unless he's in middling shape - no point in him doing more damage stretching to make it. Same with McG unless he's fit.

Geraghty is a loss, he's had a few poor enough days but at least he's a proper corner back rather than us having a wing back playing in the corner.

Farrandeelin, any word on how Howley is?? McL or T Mort are likely to play the sweeper if he's out I'd say.

Barney

QuoteGood to hear SOS might be back

Seriously lads do we really expect SOS to come into the team, grasp a game from midfield without a winter's training and only game time against Monaghan?

And we can really expect to go anywhere when the management do not have a clue of their team, their styloe of play, and fitness allowing are likely to play Geraghty, Vaughan, and Trevor again all of whom have only a few weeks training and little or none county football this year?

The whole thing smacks of a shambles and a story being made up as we are going along. The only thing is that Galway may be in as big a mess - but then again they may not because they are going about their business very quietly.

Do we think we could heading for a record low attendance in recent memory for a Mayo/Galway game. 10,000ish could test it.

And another thing - are Mayo heading the way of Offaly hurlers when you see the issues arising now over a e2m debt. And yet the Mayo debt is multiples of that and I know which is the nicer venue after the money being spent.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Barney on June 15, 2011, 08:54:59 AM

Seriously lads do we really expect SOS to come into the team, grasp a game from midfield without a winter's training and only game time against Monaghan?

And we can really expect to go anywhere when the management do not have a clue of their team, their styloe of play, and fitness allowing are likely to play Geraghty, Vaughan, and Trevor again all of whom have only a few weeks training and little or none county football this year?

The whole thing smacks of a shambles and a story being made up as we are going along. The only thing is that Galway may be in as big a mess - but then again they may not because they are going about their business very quietly.

Do we think we could heading for a record low attendance in recent memory for a Mayo/Galway game. 10,000ish could test it.

And another thing - are Mayo heading the way of Offaly hurlers when you see the issues arising now over a e2m debt. And yet the Mayo debt is multiples of that and I know which is the nicer venue after the money being spent

i was thinking the same thing myself barney when i heard Daithi Regan talking about it on Newstalk bringing all the matches to tullamore ect to Finance the debt and only 200 truning a bit like the way our lot bring every single match (league,club semis/finals) to castlebar for lads to play in a empty stadium with no atmosphere 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 15, 2011, 09:37:08 AM
Quote from: Barney on June 15, 2011, 08:54:59 AM

And another thing - are Mayo heading the way of Offaly hurlers when you see the issues arising now over a e2m debt. And yet the Mayo debt is multiples of that and I know which is the nicer venue after the money being spent

i was thinking the same thing myself barney when i heard Daithi Regan talking about it on Newstalk bringing all the matches to tullamore ect to Finance the debt and only 200 truning a bit like the way our lot bring every single match (league,club semis/finals) to castlebar for lads to play in a empty stadium with no atmosphere
What is the current debt on the refurbished McHale Park?  I assume it sizeable.