Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: venter on June 04, 2011, 11:35:56 AM
Horan is failing miserably. 7 free takers is  a complete joke.his credibility is shot to bits. Just think about it, 7 f@*king free takers, you'd be doing well to find 5 penalty takers for a penalty shootout yet he has half the team takin place kicks. That in it self would demoralise a team..( the players must have been deciding themselves to take the fees, you couldn't possibly come up with a plan like that in the team room...absolutely no leadership from management) He can't even sort out the basics, any optimism for the year ahead is truely misplaced, avoiding humiliation outside of the wider public eye is about all we can hope for!!

I think thats a little unfair and perhaps too easy a stick.

The way the London game went Dillon and Campbell were the frees. Dillon from the left and Campbell on the right.

Dillon got taken off so Andy Moran took over from the left.
Campbell got taken off so Cillian O connor took over from the right.

Andy lost confidence after missing two more easier frees in front of the posts and I think he left one to Aidan O Shea.

In summary its not as disorganised as people are making out

Farrandeelin

Shhh! Nobody is allowed to criticise Horan, well we are, but hope Abbeysider doesn't find it! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

In fairness we ve had a problem nailing frees and 45s for years now. Easy enough to identify a problem, solving it is an entirely different matter. Campbell had a good league kicking them from the right, but did not have a good day in London. Dillon has been decent for years but his range is limited enough and Andy just looks like he s forcing it. Horan was criticised for using the keeper for the 45 but if Hennelly is the keeper he should be used for all 45s because nobody else has the range apart from maybe Richie Feeney.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2011, 09:54:46 PM
Shhh! Nobody is allowed to criticise Horan, well we are, but hope Abbeysider doesn't find it! ;D
yes but as long as you ignore the personal abuse the conversation can continue.
as regards the criticism any criticism  of the london game  is fair it was an bar the result it was an unmitigated disaster as were last years league final and longford and Sligo games excepth they didnt have the saving grace of winning . but the annoying thing is the critics were saying the same thing after mayo's fantastic runs in 1996 1997 2004 and 2006 a clear case of  not knowing  a bicycle crash from a war . the sad thing is i believe if horan get his head clear and oick the best 15 players  and tactics Mayo are as good a team as is out there  . With  the 2 trevors back the osés playing Mc garrity k higgins  Returning, a recall for parsons and  Ronaldson Horan has a chance to save his Managerial career from being a one year  Trivia Question ala Brian McDonald
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

In fairness to Horan, this was his first intercounty championship game as a manager so he deserves a bit of leeway. McGeaney was beaten by Wicklow in first game as Kildare manager yet he has turned things around since then. It all depends on how much Horan has learned and is willing to learn - if he does then the London game will be long forgotten about. I for one would be happy to give him another 2/3 years presuming he shows that he's improving even a little.

Any word yet on the starting 15 or how training is going for the Galway game?

criostlinn

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 06, 2011, 07:55:19 PM
Quote from: venter on June 04, 2011, 11:35:56 AM
Horan is failing miserably. 7 free takers is  a complete joke.his credibility is shot to bits. Just think about it, 7 f@*king free takers, you'd be doing well to find 5 penalty takers for a penalty shootout yet he has half the team takin place kicks. That in it self would demoralise a team..( the players must have been deciding themselves to take the fees, you couldn't possibly come up with a plan like that in the team room...absolutely no leadership from management) He can't even sort out the basics, any optimism for the year ahead is truely misplaced, avoiding humiliation outside of the wider public eye is about all we can hope for!!

I think thats a little unfair and perhaps too easy a stick.

The way the London game went Dillon and Campbell were the frees. Dillon from the left and Campbell on the right.

Dillon got taken off so Andy Moran took over from the left.
Campbell got taken off so Cillian O connor took over from the right.

Andy lost confidence after missing two more easier frees in front of the posts and I think he left one to Aidan O Shea.

In summary its not as disorganised as people are making out

Did Alan Freeman and Jason Doherty not also have a go at a free

AbbeySider

Ah I dont defend him that much, but thats how the free's worked out when Dillon and Campbell were taken off and Andy subsequently left one to Aidan O Shea!

I dont think im biased, as I was critical of Howley's role, among other things but I think Horan and co would have learned from that.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 07, 2011, 09:18:21 AM

Ah I dont defend him that much, but thats how the free's worked out when Dillon and Campbell were taken off and Andy subsequently left one to Aidan O Shea!

I dont think im biased, as I was critical of Howley's role, among other things but I think Horan and co would have learned from that.

:D :D :D you must be joking Abbeysider . i'm scared to post anything neagtive at all  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 07, 2011, 09:27:38 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 07, 2011, 09:18:21 AM

:D :D :D you must be joking Abbeysider . i'm scared to post anything neagtive at all  ;)

Ok, ill keep my balanced and positive opinions away from the Mayo topics for now !

Tatler Jack

Did Mayo or Galaway play any challenge games over weekend. See Mayo lost to Donegal by 2 points on Thursday last. I would expect both teams  will have games against Cork and/or Kerry in the run up to the 26th - that might give an indication of where each team are at.  Meath will also be available now for challenges.

highorlow

That goalie has a fair kick on him. Let him take the frees?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2011, 08:21:23 AM
In fairness to Horan, this was his first intercounty championship game as a manager so he deserves a bit of leeway. McGeaney was beaten by Wicklow in first game as Kildare manager yet he has turned things around since then. It all depends on how much Horan has learned and is willing to learn - if he does then the London game will be long forgotten about. I for one would be happy to give him another 2/3 years presuming he shows that he's improving even a little.Any word yet on the starting 15 or how training is going for the Galway game?

Mayo have to have some sort of a medium term plan. This ochon is ochon o approach doesn't do anyone any good because the county stays in the same rut it was in the year before. 

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2011, 10:40:38 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2011, 08:21:23 AM
In fairness to Horan, this was his first intercounty championship game as a manager so he deserves a bit of leeway. McGeaney was beaten by Wicklow in first game as Kildare manager yet he has turned things around since then. It all depends on how much Horan has learned and is willing to learn - if he does then the London game will be long forgotten about. I for one would be happy to give him another 2/3 years presuming he shows that he's improving even a little.Any word yet on the starting 15 or how training is going for the Galway game?

Mayo have to have some sort of a medium term plan. This ochon is ochon o approach doesn't do anyone any good because the county stays in the same rut it was in the year before.

True, we need a medium term plan but crucifying managers year in year in doesn't constitute a plan......

Unfortunately, I think we'll be waiting quite a while for such a plan.

the Deel Rover

i see that mark ronaldson is back in the panel
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

highorlow

Quotei see that mark ronaldson is back in the panel

The panel must be still open all the time anyhow. Good to see that.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go