Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: Tubberman on June 03, 2011, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: ludermor on June 03, 2011, 03:13:19 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 03, 2011, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 03, 2011, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 02, 2011, 10:05:14 PM
Thankfully the match is in Castlebar and the Mayo team should be able to find it without too much trouble. I see on another site that whilst the Mayo supporters supported the local airport in Knock the Mayo team did otherwise. Apparently in a noble gesture to re float a stagnant economy the Mayo county board spread their cash around a bit.

Hence the players gathered from all over Mayo in Castlebar. Then got the bus to Galway. From there they flew to Waterford. From there (sigh...I am getting travel sick at this stage) they flew to Southend. From there they bussed to London. And from there they made it onto the pitch the next day, travel weary and road and air lagged.

How dare anyone suggest that the county board might have got a handier way over i.e like the cattle boat from Dun Laoighre or a yacht from Westport.

:o i'm surprised rte didn't send charlie bird to make a documentary out of that trip . In fairness whoever organised that  should be shot with balls of their own sh*te

Those travel arrangements just sound too ridiculous and incompetent to be true.
So to give a bit of balance, here's a comment stolen from Willie Joe's blog http://mayogaablog.com/?p=7561&cpage=1#comment-11436.
I'm not a CB apologist but there might have been an element of circumstances of chance...

The one thing I will say about the flights situation, and it probably won't be appreciated on here at the bandwagon is already in full swing, is that there was most likely a responsibility placed on the board to get the players back to the west on Sunday night due to work commitments etc. This might not have been applicable to the fans, journos and board members.

Despite the existence of the words 'Knock' and 'Airport' as mentioned above, the place shuts at 7pm every night so if you wanted a flight to Connacht on Sunday night, the only available option is Galway. Galway Airport and Aer Arann, as you may be aware, are both on their knees financially, and have recently had to start routing all their London flights via Waterford, and flying to Southend instead of Luton, to to stay in operation. It's likely that when the flights were booked they were direct to Luton but were subsequently changed by the airline.

Im no county board apologist or anything like it I can assure you but I thought it was worth pointing that out about the unsuitability of Knock. But there is an agenda on here against the CB at the moment that is just looking for any excuse to have a dig. How that is supposed to help, I'm not entirely sure.

That doesnt explain th eroundabout route to London though! They were staying in watford, literally a stone throw away from luton airport there is no reason in the world why they could not have flown direct to luton rather than go from galway to southend with bus journeys of over an hour at each end and stop off in between. By that going it would have made more as much sense to fly from dublin!!!

I don't know the facts in relation to this at all, but the point in the post above is that the original plan probably was to fly to Luton.
But apparently Aer Arann have recently rerouted all their Luton flights through Waterford and on to Southend.

Now even if that is the case, I'm sure the CB could have looked to change their plans, but maybe they would have lost their deposit, there were no suitable alternative flights etc
a midweek flight to luton from knock would cost no more than 50 quid if it was booked within a few weeks! The way back is a different matter, sounds like someone couldnt be arsed to book seperate routes getting there and back.

seafoid

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 03, 2011, 03:35:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 03:30:58 PM
Muppet

The subject is obviously an emotional minefield but that makes it even more interesting .

do you post on the galway threads at all  :D , i never seen a galway man so concerned about mayo football well maybe one other pstg, are ye related  ;)

The Galway threads are very mundane. Fellas getting injured and match overviews and that sort of stuff.
The Mayo stuff is epic. 

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 03:49:43 PM
Muppet

The subject is obviously an emotional minefield but that makes it even more interesting .

do you post on the galway threads at all  :D , i never seen a galway man so concerned about mayo football well maybe one other pstg, are ye related  ;)

The Galway threads are very mundane. Fellas getting injured and match overviews and that sort of stuff.
The Mayo stuff is epic. 

It must get boring talking to yourself all day as well.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 09:17:06 PM
I was so happy that Cork won that all Ireland last year . That team had been trying for so long.

Lord god if we didn't win it last year i would have commited suicide. ;D Hopefully if we can improve our goalscoring rate we might have a good chance of keeping sam here.Mayo are my hesitant tip to win connacht and it would be nice to see them win a match in croke park.Besides between losing to Longford last year and nearly losing to London Mayo must surely have run out of steps to fall down.Galway have the forwards to go on a championship run but they don't have a decent backline and that's what will cost them at the end of the day.
Roses Are Red,Violets Are Blue,We have 120 All Irelands, How Many Have You?

Corcaigh Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2011, 03:24:12 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 02, 2011, 11:38:22 PM
Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:15:08 PM

That post reminds me of our own county board down here.I don't agree with all this talk about Mayo being bottlers in 96 and 97 they would have won the all ireland if they had 1 free scoring forward while in 04 and 06 they just weren't good enough.People used to wrongly call us bottlers but that Cork team from 05-08 were a few top class players short of winning an all ireland.I would be hopefull that Mayo can win connacht and if they win a match in croke park it will be a great year for them.

Completely off-thread but I think the durty dubs are in the same situation now as Cork were a few years ago - a lot of people writing them off after losing a couple of matches they probably should have won. Will def win an AI in the next few years.

As you were.......

Dublin's first target will be to get to All Ireland final something they haven't done since 1995.

Dublin need more forwards to back up Bernard Brogan if they can do that they will be in with a shout.
Roses Are Red,Violets Are Blue,We have 120 All Irelands, How Many Have You?

seafoid

I think the thing about Mayo is that the negativity levels get very high after one bad performance and there are a bad feedback loops
and it must get to the players.  So how do you break that ? 

I read this interview last week with the Swiss football coach. It is badly translated but the gist of it is there. He is the ex manager of Bayern
so he knows his stuff and he has a lot of bitching from the Swiss press and the fans on - guess what- anonymous internet forums and in the interview he gets a few digs from the journalist but he has some very interesting points about expectations and the nature of sport.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzz.ch%2Fnachrichten%2Fsport%2Faktuell%2Fich_bin_hart_im_nehmen_1.10736208.html

There was criticism of the coach Hitzfeld. Does it get to you ?

When journalists criticize, you have to live with it. Those are often journalists who are not even close to it, they can not know what exactly to write on the result and after their mood.

Criticism of you is usually expressed anonymously. Do you get worked up about it ?

No. If the results are missing, the  coach end up in the criticism.Often the style of the journalists is that they will have heard from the environment. Anyone can write that.   All you have to do is go on to the websites and pick a quote and then write about the mood of the people.  The alibis are from people who do not have the courage to stand by their own opinion.

The team has to be built up again  

We are in the midst of change.  Even after the World Cup we lost Spycher, Magnin, Huggel and Nkufo.  From now on we will also be missing Streller and Frei.  Switzerland can not draw on an endless reserve of players  it does not have tens of top performers.  We need patience, but the break is also a chance for younger players like Benaglio, Senderos, Inler, Djourou, Ziegler and Lichtsteiner, to take on more responsibility and to fight in the team

Do you see it the same way as a club coach would in terms of  a major upheaval? 
As a club coach I can always buy something in the market but as the national coach all I have is what is in the country.

This is for me a great challenge.  I am happy with this job which is exciting .  I extended the contract through 2014 with a view to developing a team.  It is a rocky path that does not get easier.  Now the hopes are for example Derdiyok.  He is 22 years old.  He could still play in the under-21 selection.  This must not be forgotten.

Is it after so many years of coach difficult to change your own approach f?
Why should I change ?
Because you have to adapt to new situations and young players.
This is the permanent job of the  coach.  One must also always question.  In football, the development is constant , teams are always being built,   cornerstones fall away, the youth pushes through .  This is a permanent process.
Again, for the last match in Sofia.  We watched the first half hour and thought: Something is wrong.
I was shocked, yes.  Bulgaria was good, and some players we were hiding and did not want the ball.
Did you at that time think you had to change the  team urgently?

This has to nothing to do with the atmosphere in the team  It was about the huge expectations.  Even the opposition was very underestimated in some quarters.  You have to have respect for the opposition   But our performance, especially in the initial phase was lost,  we were nervous.

What do you expect in the next match 
We must be brave and play all or nothing, because we have nothing to lose.  England remains the favorite.  This is also a challenging task. 
You want to take risks.
This must be one.  Otherwise there is not one in England.  We need to find a good mix.  The defenders have to turn to the front.  The dangerous winger of the English will also try to run after our defenders.
Is that the conclusion of an old cycle - or the beginning of a new cycle?
Players must find the new system.  It is a kind of new beginning.  And an opportunity.

Can things get better ?

This will be shown in the results.  Others can now emerge from the shadow of Alex Frei and reposition themselves .  Frei, we can't find the perfect replacement for him.   This can only be done through teamwork.  I am looking forward to discussing the renewal with the team.  The other thing is they need time too.

venter

Horan is failing miserably. 7 free takers is  a complete joke.his credibility is shot to bits. Just think about it, 7 f@*king free takers, you'd be doing well to find 5 penalty takers for a penalty shootout yet he has half the team takin place kicks. That in it self would demoralise a team..( the players must have been deciding themselves to take the fees, you couldn't possibly come up with a plan like that in the team room...absolutely no leadership from management) He can't even sort out the basics, any optimism for the year ahead is truely misplaced, avoiding humiliation outside of the wider public eye is about all we can hope for!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 11:02:09 PM
I think the thing about Mayo is that the negativity levels get very high after one bad performance and there are a bad feedback loops
That's bang on the button.  I'd like to think that a big majority have more sense than that but a considerable number can swing from elation to depression and back again without a bother. The problem is that those who do tend to be more vociferous than the sensible, restrained majority and players are affected by the negativity- make no mistake about that. They are probably  put off also by expectation of an All Ireland whenever they manage to win a first round game.
Sometime ago, a good friend on this board got a very nasty shock.
He had posted a throwaway comment about one of his own county players  on another forum. He probably thought  no more about it until he heard that the player in question had been very upset when he was told about the comment. The poor lad damn near had a nervous breakdown and, to make matters worse, he had third level exams coming up.
I don't know how many Mayo players read the Mayo threads on this board but  it's quite probable that a good few do; they are quite likely to head for Hoganstand and the likes as well. They will also hunt through every local and national newspaper to find out what has been published about their team and especially about their own performances. You can add neighbours, families and work or college colleagues to the mix as well. Maybe the family dog joins in as well.
Right now, James Horan and every member of his team know they had a stinker last Sunday- they don't need to be reminded of this by anybody. I'm sure that  every county has the same problem. However, Mayo has a higher  number of supporters who waste no time in laying into the team after every ropey performance.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 04, 2011, 11:40:43 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 11:02:09 PM
That's bang on the button.  I'd like to think that a big majority have more sense than that but a considerable number can swing from elation to depression and back again without a bother. The problem is that those who do tend to be more vociferous than the sensible, restrained majority and players are affected by the negativity- make no mistake about that. They are probably  put off also by expectation of an All Ireland whenever they manage to win a first round game.
Sometime ago, a good friend on this board got a very nasty shock.
He had posted a throwaway comment about one of his own county players  on another forum. He probably thought  no more about it until he heard that the player in question had been very upset when he was told about the comment. The poor lad damn near had a nervous breakdown and, to make matters worse, he had third level exams coming up.
I don't know how many Mayo players read the Mayo threads on this board but  it's quite probable that a good few do; they are quite likely to head for Hoganstand and the likes as well. They will also hunt through every local and national newspaper to find out what has been published about their team and especially about their own performances. You can add neighbours, families and work or college colleagues to the mix as well. Maybe the family dog joins in as well.
Right now, James Horan and every member of his team know they had a stinker last Sunday- they don't need to be reminded of this by anybody. I'm sure that  every county has the same problem. However, Mayo has a higher  number of supporters who waste no time in laying into the team after every ropey performance.

I don't think it's ever fair to have a go at amateur players. But people feel strongly about these things and might not be sufficiently articulate or skilled as writers to sugar the pill and it then comes across badly, as happened to Lar's friend.

But if any county player is reading this now, can I make a suggestion? If you get upset over what people write on internet message boards then I really do think you need to find another pastime. There is nothing more important to people than Gaelic games, and that brings its own pressures on the practitioners of Gaelic football. That will never change.

If you find that pressure distressing to the point of it adversely affecting your life, please step away for your own good. There are lots of lads who can take it, or who find a puck in the mouth from some hard chaw a more worrisome prospect that empty vessels like myself on here, spouting. But that's all it is - spouting, and letting off steam and having the crack. This board is pubtalk without the beer.

If you can't deal with that then you're really going to have find a way to deal with that because it's never going away. Some people might think about the number of homeless people who'll sleep rough tonight and consider that being slagged on a message board small potatoes compared with that. Each to their own.

Best of luck on Sunday, inter county man. Whoever you are.

Blowitupref

All feedback negative or positive is good IMO however the high fives,back slaps can sometimes lull fans/players into a false sense of security,negativity can work in your favour as the players have the opportunity to prove the doubters wrong.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Switzerland just scored 2 goals against Engerland in Wembley to draw 2-2 and  the
analysts are all talking about pride and having something to build on . 

muscles magoo

Muppet

Seafoid secretly likes us but will never admit as much. He's a bit like a lad in school who secretly fancies a plain looking young wan in his class but is scared his mates will take the piss so has to be seen to be outwardly dismissive to her. He'll open up eventually and will shore up in the Big Tree with a Mayo jersey the day of an AIF when the deceit gets too much for him...

seafoid

Actually, Muscles,  I am verra fond of Mayo . Another all-Ireland wouldn't make much difference to Galway.
I thought the fourth Monday in September in 1998 would be different but it wasn't. It was wonderful to
read the match reports but it was just like the return to the mean for the football people. Like they knew
it would happen eventually.

I think an all-Ireland would bring tremendous energy to Mayo people all over the world. It would be more like the hurling in 1980. Beidh daoine ag caoineadh lathair in Londain, i Nua Eabhrach.   

So why can't ye get the finger out ? I mean if Crossmolina are good enough to beat the best in Ireland
and even Ballina can do it why not the county ?
Actually I think I know the answer. There is far too much negativity hanging over the footballers. Too many people too ready to say 'they are no use " when they have a bad match.  "They will never win anything". Do they say that in Kerry ? Or Kilkenny ? 

Some team has to win the f*cking thing. I would like it to be Mayo once. Or even for a three in a row.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2011, 08:27:08 PM
Actually, Muscles,  I am verra fond of Mayo . Another all-Ireland wouldn't make much difference to Galway.
I thought the fourth Monday in September in 1998 would be different but it wasn't. It was wonderful to
read the match reports but it was just like the return to the mean for the football people. Like they knew

I think an all-Ireland would bring tremendous energy to Mayo people all over the world. It would be more like the hurling in 1980. Beidh daoine ag caoineadh lathair in Londain, i Nua Eabhrach.   

So why can't ye get the finger out ? I mean if Crossmolina are good enough to beat the best in Ireland
and even Ballina can do it why not the county ?
Actually I think I know the answer. There is far too much negativity hanging over the footballers. Too many people too ready to say 'they are no use " when they have a bad match.  "They will never win anything". Do they say that in Kerry ? Or Kilkenny ? 

Some team has to win the f*cking thing. I would like it to be Mayo once. Or even for a three in a row.

But seafoid, I think the time has passed, I mean our county final was ridiculously poor, yes people will come on and slate me for saying that, because of the tragic events and Mayo club football is at a low in the 16 years I've followed it anyway. But I agree, It would be like Galway hurlers in 1980. And if we ever do win Sam maybe we might develop a habit.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2011, 08:27:08 PM

I think your trying to cover the fact that Galway followers don't have the same passion as some of their neighbours in Connacht.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose