Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turlough O Carolan

Looks like the Mayo county board decided to take the scenic route before they've even entered the qualifiers.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 03, 2011, 11:40:47 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 03, 2011, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 03, 2011, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 02, 2011, 10:05:14 PM
Thankfully the match is in Castlebar and the Mayo team should be able to find it without too much trouble. I see on another site that whilst the Mayo supporters supported the local airport in Knock the Mayo team did otherwise. Apparently in a noble gesture to re float a stagnant economy the Mayo county board spread their cash around a bit.

Hence the players gathered from all over Mayo in Castlebar. Then got the bus to Galway. From there they flew to Waterford. From there (sigh...I am getting travel sick at this stage) they flew to Southend. From there they bussed to London. And from there they made it onto the pitch the next day, travel weary and road and air lagged.

How dare anyone suggest that the county board might have got a handier way over i.e like the cattle boat from Dun Laoighre or a yacht from Westport.

:o i'm surprised rte didn't send charlie bird to make a documentary out of that trip . In fairness whoever organised that  should be shot with balls of their own sh*te

Those travel arrangements just sound too ridiculous and incompetent to be true.
So to give a bit of balance, here's a comment stolen from Willie Joe's blog http://mayogaablog.com/?p=7561&cpage=1#comment-11436.
I'm not a CB apologist but there might have been an element of circumstances of chance...

The one thing I will say about the flights situation, and it probably won't be appreciated on here at the bandwagon is already in full swing, is that there was most likely a responsibility placed on the board to get the players back to the west on Sunday night due to work commitments etc. This might not have been applicable to the fans, journos and board members.

Despite the existence of the words 'Knock' and 'Airport' as mentioned above, the place shuts at 7pm every night so if you wanted a flight to Connacht on Sunday night, the only available option is Galway. Galway Airport and Aer Arann, as you may be aware, are both on their knees financially, and have recently had to start routing all their London flights via Waterford, and flying to Southend instead of Luton, to to stay in operation. It's likely that when the flights were booked they were direct to Luton but were subsequently changed by the airline.

Im no county board apologist or anything like it I can assure you but I thought it was worth pointing that out about the unsuitability of Knock. But there is an agenda on here against the CB at the moment that is just looking for any excuse to have a dig. How that is supposed to help, I'm not entirely sure.

Fair play, Tubberman; that puts what happened in Ruislip and the hasty departure afterwards in a different light..
It's a great pity that somebody in officialdom didn't bring this to public attention at the earliest possible opportunity. It might have served to deflect some of the criticism and abuse that James and the team are getting now.
The last thing they need right now is being reminded of the display last Sunday—they know it was cat without being reminded of this at every twist and turn.
Galway will have the bounce generated by their U21 success to help them in Castlebar and they seem to have sorted out the internal divisions that have hindered them in recent years.
I have seen plenty of brutal displays by the herrin' chokers over the years but I never yet saw a Galway side that lay down in a Connacht championship match.
Mayo will need all the luck and support they can get to come out on top on the 26th.
The fans who criticise them and the local media who don't present a balanced account of what happened in London aren't helping aren't helping them right now

Good balance there lads, it seems there was has been quite the over reaction from the London game and now the travel details.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 02, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
QuoteAs another Mayoman asked his team in another code once, where's your f**king pride?
Since when is Ciaran Fitzgerald a Mayo man? Born and bred in Galway

think icc meant to put in connacht man  ;) is it really 10 years since galway won in Croke park :o  in that time their clubs have won Ai Club  Finals and including  this year they have won 3 Ai under 21's tiitles so they obviously have good players

A google search tells me that Ciarán Fitzgerald was born in Loughrea, Co Galway. However, my copy of Breandán Ó hEithir's "Ciarán Fitzgerald agus Foireann Rugbaí na hÉireann" tells me the great man was born in great town of Ballina in the County Mayo (p 114).

I wondered about that when I read it, as Ballina doesn't have a maternity hospital. But then, neither does Loughrea. I shall investigate further and report back.

On the travel arrangement thing - anytime I book I flight I get an email confirming details. All the Board has to do is publish the email and settle the fact that they always acted with the team's welfare their first and only consideration. They can copy and paste here if they like - I'm sure we'll welcome the openness, accountability and transparency that the Mayo Taoiseach has brought to the nation bring brought to the humblest of the nation, the Mayo County Board.

seafoid

Who does the free taking for Mayo these days? 

Barney

QuoteWho does the free taking for Mayo these days?

Aidan Campbell, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Robert Hennelly and Aidan O'Se

QuoteI'm sure we'll welcome the openness, accountability and transparency that the Mayo Taoiseach has brought to the nation bring brought to the humblest of the nation, the Mayo County Board.

Not sure Leo Varadkar would agree

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on June 03, 2011, 02:11:54 PM

Aidan Campbell, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Robert Hennelly and Aidan O'Se

QuoteI'm sure we'll welcome the openness, accountability and transparency that the Mayo Taoiseach has brought to the nation bring brought to the humblest of the nation, the Mayo County Board.

I love pedantic Friday ;)

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 01:29:52 PM
Who does the free taking for Mayo these days?

Undecided, but the piss taking role is set in stone.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Not forgetting Cillian O'Connor when he's on the field  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on June 03, 2011, 02:54:40 PM

Not forgetting Cillian O'Connor when he's on the field  :)

Richie Feeney took a 45 during the league

(how do I get off this bandwagon? )

ludermor

Thankfully the match is in Castlebar and the Mayo team should be able to find it without too much trouble. I see on another site that whilst the Mayo supporters supported the local airport in Knock the Mayo team did otherwise. Apparently in a noble gesture to re float a stagnant economy the Mayo county board spread their cash around a bit.

Hence the players gathered from all over Mayo in Castlebar. Then got the bus to Galway. From there they flew to Waterford. From there (sigh...I am getting travel sick at this stage) they flew to Southend. From there they bussed to London. And from there they made it onto the pitch the next day, travel weary and road and air lagged.

How dare anyone suggest that the county board might have got a handier way over i.e like the cattle boat from Dun Laoighre or a yacht from Westport.

:o i'm surprised rte didn't send charlie bird to make a documentary out of that trip . In fairness whoever organised that  should be shot with balls of their own sh*te

So to give a bit of balance, here's a comment stolen from Willie Joe's blog http://mayogaablog.com/?p=7561&cpage=1#comment-11436.
I'm not a CB apologist but there might have been an element of circumstances of chance...

The one thing I will say about the flights situation, and it probably won't be appreciated on here at the bandwagon is already in full swing, is that there was most likely a responsibility placed on the board to get the players back to the west on Sunday night due to work commitments etc. This might not have been applicable to the fans, journos and board members.

Despite the existence of the words 'Knock' and 'Airport' as mentioned above, the place shuts at 7pm every night so if you wanted a flight to Connacht on Sunday night, the only available option is Galway. Galway Airport and Aer Arann, as you may be aware, are both on their knees financially, and have recently had to start routing all their London flights via Waterford, and flying to Southend instead of Luton, to to stay in operation. It's likely that when the flights were booked they were direct to Luton but were subsequently changed by the airline.

Im no county board apologist or anything like it I can assure you but I thought it was worth pointing that out about the unsuitability of Knock. But there is an agenda on here against the CB at the moment that is just looking for any excuse to have a dig. How that is supposed to help, I'm not entirely sure.

That doesnt explain th eroundabout route to London though! They were staying in watford, literally a stone throw away from luton airport there is no reason in the world why they could not have flown direct to luton rather than go from galway to southend with bus journeys of over an hour at each end and stop off in between. By that going it would have made more as much sense to fly from dublin!!!

Blowitupref

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 02, 2011, 11:38:22 PM
Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:15:08 PM

That post reminds me of our own county board down here.I don't agree with all this talk about Mayo being bottlers in 96 and 97 they would have won the all ireland if they had 1 free scoring forward while in 04 and 06 they just weren't good enough.People used to wrongly call us bottlers but that Cork team from 05-08 were a few top class players short of winning an all ireland.I would be hopefull that Mayo can win connacht and if they win a match in croke park it will be a great year for them.

Completely off-thread but I think the durty dubs are in the same situation now as Cork were a few years ago - a lot of people writing them off after losing a couple of matches they probably should have won. Will def win an AI in the next few years.

As you were.......

Dublin's first target will be to get to All Ireland final something they haven't done since 1995.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: ludermor on June 03, 2011, 03:13:19 PM

That doesnt explain th eroundabout route to London though! They were staying in watford, literally a stone throw away from luton airport there is no reason in the world why they could not have flown direct to luton rather than go from galway to southend with bus journeys of over an hour at each end and stop off in between. By that going it would have made more as much sense to fly from dublin!!!

I don't know the facts in relation to this at all, but the point in the post above is that the original plan probably was to fly to Luton.
But apparently Aer Arann have recently rerouted all their Luton flights through Waterford and on to Southend.

Now even if that is the case, I'm sure the CB could have looked to change their plans, but maybe they would have lost their deposit, there were no suitable alternative flights etc
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ludermor on June 03, 2011, 03:13:19 PM

so are they saying that they went on this around the world in 80 days trip so that they could have the players back in time for work on monday. How the feck will the do that the next time we play new york hire the space shuttle or something ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

seafoid

Muppet

The subject is obviously an emotional minefield but that makes it even more interesting .

the Deel Rover

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2011, 03:30:58 PM
Muppet

The subject is obviously an emotional minefield but that makes it even more interesting .

do you post on the galway threads at all  :D , i never seen a galway man so concerned about mayo football well maybe one other pstg, are ye related  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001