Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2011, 04:04:59 PM
when did the galway seniors last win a game in croke park seafoid?

Galway won nothing  for a long time between the early 70s and 1983 and nothing again until 1998
but when Donnellan and Joyce came along none of it mattered. If Galway have a decent team again at some stage in the future they'll be back winning all-Irelands while Mayo will be throwing them away. Why is that ?

Galway are like Down. 

the Deel Rover

Quote from: galwayman on June 02, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
QuoteAs another Mayoman asked his team in another code once, where's your f**king pride?
Since when is Ciaran Fitzgerald a Mayo man? Born and bred in Galway

think icc meant to put in connacht man  ;) is it really 10 years since galway won in Croke park :o  in that time their clubs have won Ai Club  Finals and including  this year they have won 3 Ai under 21's tiitles so they obviously have good players
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 02, 2011, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: Corcaigh Abu on June 02, 2011, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 02, 2011, 04:21:09 PM

10 years ago although it was the right game to win. Would make you feel old though.

Were talking about the present stop living off an event 10 years ago. ;D

Have a good look at it it will be the closest you lot will get to Sam this year. ;D

Congratulations on your win.

On a more serious note i would like to see Galway,Mayo and Down get there act together all three are tradtionaly very nice and clean footballing counties.Galway have a few nice forwards but i think they are weak enough in defence and that will be there downfall.Still though the u21 all ireland win has shown that talk about Galway being in decline as a football county are a bit premature.

Hopefully we can bring some of the U-21's through. Unusually for a Galway team they were probably stronger in midfield and defence than they were in attack. Not that they were bad up front either but some of the previous U-21 teams relied on a couple of superstars up front to win them titles which hid some of the weaknesses elsewhere.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 04:44:50 PM

Galway won nothing  for a long time between the early 70s and 1983 and nothing again until 1998
but when Donnellan and Joyce came along none of it mattered. If Galway have a decent team again at some stage in the future they'll be back winning all-Irelands while Mayo will be throwing them away. Why is that ?

Galway are like Down. 

why didn't Down win the Ai final last year then ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

seafoid

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2011, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 04:44:50 PM

Galway are like Down. 

why didn't Down win the Ai final last year then ?
I think they missed 2 frees  ;) 

ross matt

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 04:00:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 02, 2011, 03:41:43 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 09:13:59 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2011, 12:58:44 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
Why do I read about Kildare every year?

Because you buy a newspaper on an annual basis?

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare?

I do......

Fair play to you Hollow, you're a scholar and a gentleman. I should point out that I've been to games in Laois, Kildare and Monaghan and I found the welcome warm and the football tremendous. It just gets on my wick when people in West lie down and are then totally mystified when they get walked on.

I think, Iolar, that we tend to overlook theh fact that players and supporters live in each others' shadows.
Unlike professional soccer and rugby players, our GAA lads are very much part of their own communities and  therefore react to the vibes they pick up from those around them. If the fans are happy, the team plays well. If the fans think their neighbour's child is a total waste of space and couldn't kick snow off a rope, the poor lad's confidence is going to be sorely dented.
It's a two-way process; a form of synergy if you like.
Far too often, I have seen brilliant games in venues from Salthilll to Carrick and left those grounds knowing  that the winners would never reproduce their form when they crossed the Shannon. Unlike draught  Guinness, Connacht players should not lose their best qualities when they travel  across water.  Yet, most times they do no matter where the crossing occurs.
I don't think players lose their talents when they venture outside Connacht but all too often they do lose their confidence and I put that down to the drop of expectations amongst their supporters. That's a generalisation I know but it does happen more often than not.

If Galway fuballers have a good team they can go all the way and being from Connacht doesn't come into it. This year's under 21 was a good example. They were underdogs against Cork but they had no fear of them and won the semi final and then the final was a walk in the park.

Ros and Mayo are the ones that tend to suffer from stage fright . They both had good under 21 teams recently but nothing came of them.    It must be all in the head. The Galway hurlers have a similar affliction at senior level but can still churn out the goods under age.

I can't bear to look at how many all-Ireland finals Mayo have lost in the last 20 years.   

Galway had the players to beat the likes of Sligo, Wexford and Westmeath in recent years but they were'nt able to do it. Explain that?

Roscommon won the Connacht u-21s last year so there was obviously nothing wrong with their heads then. They also won connacht senior and it was lack of ability not confidence in Croker that had them lose to eventual AI winners Cork. They won the 06 minor AI beating Kerry in a replay so your "stage fright" theory doesnt hold up then either. In Connacht that year they beat an excellent Galway side in  a  turn up for the books. The reverse happened the year after when Galway went on to win the minor AI.

This year the Ross u-21 side wasnt within an asses roar of what turned out to be an excellent AI winning Galway side. Again there was no mental issues.... Ross were outclassed physically and skilfully.

Roscommon held their own at senior v the Dubs in 04 and kerry in 03 with both matches in Croker.  The  90/91 sides were beaten by Meath and Cork in Croker in very competitive matches.

Cant think  of any "stage fright" scenarios in Croker that you refer to. You'd be better looking at facts rather than trading on soundbites and stereotypes.  Galway definitely have the ability to go up and win silverware from time to time but thats due to having had class players like Joyce/Donnellan & Co that Connacht winning Rossie sides never had.  That being said 2001 is drifting in to the distance. Might be better to wait till after the Mayo match at least before condescendingly commenting on the neighbours mentality.

seafoid

The Ros 2006 minor win was one of the best. Kerry were raging favourites.
That is the kind of all-Ireland win Mayo need.   

the Deel Rover

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 04:57:36 PM

:D :D would you make up your mind . Are you saying the rossies suffer from stagefright or not ? 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Tubberman

And what about the 2006 U-21 final win v an unbelievably strong Cork team.
Mayo were underdogs that day, but went down to Ennis and beat them.

Please explain.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross matt

So have you not just put your own foot in your mouth there then and shot yourself in the other foot?
Ross drew with "raging favourites" kerry in Corker and beat them in a replay.
Where was the stage fright?

seafoid

How many All-Ireland finals have Ros got to in the last 20 years? One

And Mayo?  I think it is 15 but it is definitely more than one anyway.

And which team has the better record ?

Farrandeelin

Has this turned into a how many All-Irelands Mayo have gotten to v Ros have gotten to thread now all because seafoid's view that Galway just turn up when they want to. We'll see on the 26th how strong/poor Mayo and Galway are.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 02, 2011, 05:18:46 PM
Has this turned into a how many All-Irelands Mayo have gotten to v Ros have gotten to thread now all because seafoid's view that Galway just turn up when they want to. We'll see on the 26th how strong/poor Mayo and Galway are.

aye Seafoid is all confused he 1st said both us and the rossies has stagefright now its just mayo because the rossies won in 2006, then he says down are like galway they never loose all irelands but down did last year due to 2 missed frees  ;) and he still has no answer as to why galway have not won a game in Croke park the past 10 years and as far as i know pj played in All of those games. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ross matt

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2011, 05:15:21 PM
How many All-Ireland finals have Ros got to in the last 20 years? One

And Mayo?  I think it is 15 but it is definitely more than one anyway.

And which team has the better record ?

Do you need a JCB to dig that hole bigger for you?
Cause the shovel you've been using wont dig it any deeper unless you jump in altogether.
And then it'll be so deep you wont be able to get out...... oh wait! :o

ross matt

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2011, 05:23:13 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 02, 2011, 05:18:46 PM

aye Seafoid is all confused he 1st said both us and the rossies has stagefright now its just mayo because the rossies won in 2006, then he says down are like galway they never loose all irelands but down did last year due to 2 missed frees  ;) and he still has no answer as to why galway have not won a game in Croke park the past 10 years and as far as i know pj played in All of those games.

Yep box ticked for every lazy generalisation there ever was....
Oh wait there is one more..... Seafoid on one of those (exceedingly rare) when Ross stumbled their way to beating Galway in a championship match did you meet the (by now legendary) abusive Rossie that always turns up to haunt opposition supporters when Ross win against the books?
If so are you still traumatised by this?
If you answer yes to the above dont forget to also trot out the disclaimer first... "Roscommon deserved their win today but........"
Ok once you've that done then you've the full set of cliches covered.