20. Fionntán Ó Curraoin
21. Matthew Clancy
22. Danny Cummins
23. Michael Boyle
24. Fiachra Breathnach
25. Michael Meehan
26. Eric Monahan

myball22

God help us, it's worse than we thought!! Apart from Michael Meehan I'll exempt some of the u-21s too but it's hardly strength in depth and considering what went on on Sunday, if the main stays can't push for a start the next day, they really should consider the future!

moysider

Delighted with that result yesterday - I d have taken somebody s hand off for a six point win at 2 o clock when it was starting to piss rain. Or any win. Apart from the miserable attempts at frees our general perfprmance was not bad at all. Under the circumstances - and circumstances were not good at all.
I m happy with the performance of all the players that started. Not saying they were all 9/10 but we had no nightmares either. A few curate s eggs but no gluggers.
I m also pleased we had to dig it out. That and London will stand to us. We would have won that a lot easier with a dry ball and a free taker but what good would that do us. Most days I remember in the Hyde were windy and it is not unusual to rain in the midlands as well. And the performance of the players the last day suggests that they are not going to lie down and feel sorry for themselves just because the frees are a mess.
I thought it was one of our best midfield displays for some time. Apart from a dip on the 45 min mark we were 60/40 at least. You d have to be pleased with the brothers. They re worth feedin good steak. McGarrity looked great also when introduced and his control and awareness was something some of the other experienced ones could learn from. His passes were sympathetic, into the hand, unlike some of the others' passes that were overcooked  - just skittered low in front of a man runing full tilt - like a wet bar of soap on a tiled floor.
If Hennelly can kick a point it counts the same as anybody else. If Jason Doherty was kicking them all year.....? Cillian O Connor was deadly since I can remember. But is there a bit of prestige to be gained to kickin one. Alan Dillon sent the keeper back yesterday when he was halfways up to take one about 30 metres out. Grand, but it landed in keepers lap. If Dillon is going to assume that responsibility then he has to nail it. I remember 15 years ago people saying that it would be great if we could bring Maurice Sheridan on just to kick the frees, American Football style. Well now we can with Hennelly and people are moaning. i d have him take 14 yards ones in front of posts if I trusted him more than the othres.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 25, 2011, 09:44:56 PM

Tá ceantair Ghaeltachta  i Mhaigh Eó agus Gaillimh agus ba cheart dúinn an cluiche a phlé as Gaeilge.
Tabharfaidh Maigh Eó  agus Gaillimh aghaidh ar a chéile i gcluiche leathcheannais peile Chonnachta a imreofar i bPáirc Mhic Éilí an Domhnach beag seo . Tá an-spéis léirithe ag an bpobal sa choimhlint seo a bheidh mar ceann den mhórchluiche an deireadh seachtaine

Gan dabht is ait an cluiche seo – easpa muinín sna dhá chontae agus coimhlint gear ar siúl faoi "cé acu is measa" !!  Is fada an lá o chonaic  mé lucht leanúna Mhaigh Eó chomh ísle – chuir an taispeántas i gcoinne London iad in umar na h-aimléise.  Níl foireann socraithe acu agus easpa ceannairí freisin. Taobh amuigh de Alan Dillon agus fear Ros Comáin Andy Moran cá bhfuil na ceannairí? Nuair a thiocfaidh  an crú ar an tairne an bhfuil na-himreoirí ag Mhaigh Eó chun an liathróid  salach a bhucaint? Nílim cinnte go bhfuil siad ann.
De réir na tuairiscí bhí an t-ádh dearg ar Mhaigh Eó  i Ruislip ach is dócha go raibh an iomarca muinín inti an lá sin!!! Táim ag súil ar thaispeántas  i bhfad níos fearr ó Mhaigh Eó an Domhnach beag seo. Beidh an coimhlint i lár na páirce an-thábhacht agus tá péire nua ag Maigh Eó – na deartháireacha  O' Sé. Cé nach bhfuil aon dabht gur sár- pheileadóirí iad nílim cinnte an bhfuil siad an péire is fearr – ní bheidh ionadh ar bith orm má thiocfaidh Rónán McGarrity ar an pháirc go luath sa cluiche.  Chuir na tosaithe a lán seansanna amú i gcoinne Londain ach is é mo thuairim go bhfuil imreoirí ag Mhaigh Eó sna tosaithe leis an cumas chun na scóranna a aimsiú, cúil ina measc.
Níl a fhios agam faoi Ghaillimh. Bhí siad go dona i dtús an sraith ach chríochnaigh siad go maith cé go raibh siad dícháilithe go Roinn a 2. Ó shín tá an craobh fé U21 buaite acu agus de réir na ráflaí tá rudaí ag dul go maith sa traenáil – bhí an bua acu i gcluichí dúshláin i gcoinne Corcaigh agus BAC. Beidh siad ag brath ar taispeántas mór ó Joe Bergin i lár na páirce agus ón Pádraig Seoighe sna tosaithe. Is buille  mór dóibh a bheith d'uireasa Meehan agus Armstrong – faoiseamh don chosantóirí Mhaigh Eó nach bhfuil siad ag imirt!!!
An toradh? Tá sé deacair a rá. B'fhéidir go bhfuil níos mó muinín ag Gaillimh agus níos mó taithí acu ar an taobh líne. Ach shílim go bhfuil siad fós ag brath go leor ar an Seoighe. Bhí Maigh Eó uafásach i gcoinne Londain ach ní bheidh siad chomh dona an Domhnach seo. Tá imreoirí maith acu, tá siad sa bhaile agus sílim go mbeidh an bua acu.

A Thatler, a chara, is fíor duit go bhfuil Gaeltachta againne idir Muigh Eo agus Gaillimh, ach sílim féin go bhfuil an iomarca béime ar an nGaeltacht mar thobar na Gaeilge. Sílim féin go bhfuil a tábhachtach caite, agus ba chóir duinn níos mó samhlaíocha a úsáid chun todhchaí na teanga a fheiceáil agus a shocraigh.

Maidir leis an gcluiche, aontaím leis na tuairimí anseo. Bhí níos mó madra ag Muigh Eo ar drochlá, agus tá na Gaillimhí i gcruachas ceart. Is ceist na Gaillimhe é seo, in ionad eachtranaigh cosuil linne ag breathnú thar an gclaí orthu, ach cuirim an locht ar an mbainisteoireacht in ionad ar na n-imreoirí. Ní fheadair a rá nach bhfuil imreoirí ann agus na craobhacha faoi-21 atá buaite acu. Caithfidh bord peile na Gaillimhe ceisteanna crua a chur orthu féin maidir le Sammon, Kernan agus an Flaithearthach. I mo thuairim amháin, ar ndóigh.

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2011, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 27, 2011, 03:52:35 PM
Just on Hennelly's performance, what did people think? Was the couple of spills and errors enough to see Clarke given a run?

I have no problem with Clarke whatsoever but dropping a young goalkeeper who hasn't done much wrong would be damaging all round. You could damage the young lads confidence while the senior fella coming in might think he is on thin ice already as you dropped the other fella for very little.

Ya I agree, I was just putting the question out there as some people were saying that Clarke should get his chance next time.

Tubberman

Might as well throw in my tuppence worth on Sunday's game.
It's always good to beat Galway and when you beat them by 6 points you would usually think Mayo are going places.
But that was the worst Galway championship performance against Mayo that I have ever witnessed.

I was very happy with most of the Mayo players, and the team as a unit. The defence were very good - the two Feeneys, Cunniffe and Vaughan especially. PJ was causing a fair bit of trouble for Keith Higgins in the first half. Joyce tired as the game went on though, and wasn't much of a threat from then on. T Mort did fairly well but also gave away some very sloppy ball in the first half. He scored a good point from play when we needed it and when our freetakers were making a balls of it.
The two O'Sheas did very well in the middle as did McGarrity when he came on. We now seem to have options there, and it will be hard to budge either of the O'Sheas from their starting places.
I thought McLoughlin got through a massive amount of work. I always thought he was a bit too light for senior football, but it was no hindrance to him on Sunday, he was excellent.

Alan and Andy had poor games by their standards, but thankfully the other forwards were able to do what was needed. Freeman had a poor first half, he couldn't pick the ball up at all (neither could a few others), but he had a very good second half when he moved out the field a bit. Doherty was quiet enough, but we have seen how dangerous he can be when he gets the opportunity so I would stick with him.
I thought Cillian O'Connor did well when he got on the ball, was unlucky with one great point attempt and could have got a goal. Showed plenty of potential.

All in all, we're definitely going in the right direction and I can't feckin wait for the Connacht final in a packed Hyde!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

southsidejohnny

I agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday, still the press gave Moran man of the match. I actually believe Mayo can kick on provided they drop those two. They bring nothing to the picnic. Free taking is abysmal. Anyway I know that Horan wont drop them and I know that the end is nigh. Roscommon are doing what they tend to do at the start of most decades...win Connacht titles. The 1960s/70s/80s/90s/00s and last year. Never ever rule out the dead hand of history.

highorlow

QuoteI agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday

I don't know what game ye lads were watching. Moran was involved in most of our scores in the 2nd half and won a huge amount of dirty ball throughout the game. Dillon's shooting wasn't great but otherwise he had a good game.

Thank God you're not a selector.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

muppet

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 28, 2011, 12:49:32 PM
I agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday, still the press gave Moran man of the match. I actually believe Mayo can kick on provided they drop those two. They bring nothing to the picnic. Free taking is abysmal. Anyway I know that Horan wont drop them and I know that the end is nigh. Roscommon are doing what they tend to do at the start of most decades...win Connacht titles. The 1960s/70s/80s/90s/00s and last year. Never ever rule out the dead hand of history.

Andy Moran set up almost all of our second half scores, and ye want to drop him?

Alan Dillon is the best player we have at making himself available for passes out of defense, while Andy wins what Conor Deegan called 'dirty ball' on Newstalk. Both of them are also very good at retaining possession and getting the full forward line moving.

Dropping either of them would be crazy, but both?
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

I agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday, still the press gave Moran man of the match. I actually believe Mayo can kick on provided they drop those two.
So Moran gets many journalists man of the match, and Dillon gets man of the match on Midwest and you are saying that Mayo can improve provided they drop those two?

Such rubbish.

Last week you had more tripe:
Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Truly we have sunk and next Sunday[against Galway] will confirm the drop. Back door will nail it home.

You have a serious chip on your shoulder

Tubberman

Step away from the keyboard.
To suggest we can only improve by dropping Moran and Dillon (our captain and vice captain, and two of our most consistent performers) is absolute horse shite.
This whole "the end is nigh" rubbish is pathetic. Are you PSTG in disguise?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ildanach

4 points i would like to make about sundays game

1 conditions were brutal and in reality mayo will be better on a dry day
2 mayo improved greatly in the second half
3 no way should andy moran and dillion be dropped- dillion showed for a huge amount of ball
4 an outfield player must take the 45's or else just play them short if no one has the legs for it.

- have to get back to work now!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Lar Naparka

Abbey, then you also would be walking straight into a trap....
Does the answer to that question really matter? Why try to prolong the "discussion?"
I'm a wee bit surprised that a number of experienced and normally sensible posters felt the need to ask the question at all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

galwayman

Quote4 an outfield player must take the 45's or else just play them short if no one has the legs for it.

This kind of opinion baffles me - out of curiosity why do some people have the opinion that it has to be an outfield player who kicks 45s?
The reality is that there are not a huge number of footballers who have the distance to kick 45s from the ground. And anyway most free takers take kicks from the hands in modern day football. Goalkeepers on pretty much every team have the distance required to convert 45s and take more kicks from the ground than any other player.
Surely they are the most qualified then to attempt to convert 45s?
Look at Cluxtons success rate for the Dubs from long range frees for instance (and I know not many keepers have his accuracy from the placed ball by the way).

Am I imagining it or did ye're keeper not kick 2 long range points for ye on Sunday?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 28, 2011, 02:13:53 PM
Abbey, then you also would be walking straight into a trap....
Does the answer to that question really matter? Why try to prolong the "discussion?"
I'm a wee bit surprised that a number of experienced and normally sensible posters felt the need to ask the question at all.

What kind of world would we live in if hair-brain and stupid ideas were left unchecked Lar?

I see you point about everyone falling for the Wind Up Merchant, but it wasnt a once off. The kid seems to have a serious bee in his bonnet to come out with such statements and I suppose everyone is waiting for him to back them up, if he can.