Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 26, 2011, 04:42:41 PM

Ros fans I was talking to after the game reckon they'll just need to turn up at the Hyde to win. Typical annoying Rossie attitude but hard to argue with them based on today.

Seeing that i was among all the rossies that is pure BS but i'm not suprised you would post utter tripe like that.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 05:54:24 PM
Just back from windy & wet Cashelbear & i switched on the telly to see the Dubs baked in sunshine WTF? anyways awful first half Mayo were the better team but due to shocking free talking & a Galway goal out of the blue they found themselves behind by 4pts! second half Mayo moved up the gears & the 1-8 to 0-1 shows their superiority! If Mayo had a free taker like Johnny Doyle Mayo would have won that game by 10/12pts that performance must have the Galway fans shaking their heads & alot of rebuilding to do now.

I never bought the poor mouth from the Mayo fans & i always believed that London game would be a blessing in disguise! it's going to take a good team to beat them now & I'm not sure are we good enough but if we are competitive on that day who knows? i live in hope.

Wet and Windy is right. Christ the conditions were bad, i suppose both teams were coming into the game low on confidence and that along with the rain added to the poor first half. Mayo did up the level in the second half and some pride is now back in the jersey. how much this was down to Mayo upping the game and galway falling away it's hard to know. SOS was man of the match i thought, he interupted Galway attack after attack and they could never get going. i wouldn't read much more in to this game, job done now move on to the Hyde.

its the last time ,Joyce, Clancy and a few more will be in C'bar. No Doubt.

BTW the Rossies have a nice minor team.

ross4life

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 26, 2011, 06:10:33 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 05:54:24 PM
Just back from windy & wet Cashelbear & i switched on the telly to see the Dubs baked in sunshine WTF? anyways awful first half Mayo were the better team but due to shocking free talking & a Galway goal out of the blue they found themselves behind by 4pts! second half Mayo moved up the gears & the 1-8 to 0-1 shows their superiority! If Mayo had a free taker like Johnny Doyle Mayo would have won that game by 10/12pts that performance must have the Galway fans shaking their heads & alot of rebuilding to do now.

I never bought the poor mouth from the Mayo fans & i always believed that London game would be a blessing in disguise! it's going to take a good team to beat them now & I'm not sure are we good enough but if we are competitive on that day who knows? i live in hope.

Wet and Windy is right. Christ the conditions were bad, i suppose both teams were coming into the game low on confidence and that along with the rain added to the poor first half. Mayo did up the level in the second half and some pride is now back in the jersey. how much this was down to Mayo upping the game and galway falling away it's hard to know. SOS was man of the match i thought, he interupted Galway attack after attack and they could never get going. i wouldn't read much more in to this game, job done now move on to the Hyde.

its the last time ,Joyce, Clancy and a few more will be in C'bar. No Doubt.

BTW the Rossies have a nice minor team.

The wind died down alot for the Senior game but the rain in that 1st half didn't help condiditions, was sad to see one of the greatest GAA players ever (P Joyce) look so crestfallen today but i suppose all good things must come to a end.

We do indeed have a fine Minor team but i knew that before today hopefully we can finish the job in the final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fr Todd Unctious

As a mate of mine said after the game, Galway are the only county that coach the football out of their players. Abysmal today, some of the management decisions today were baffling.Took off Bane, Conroy & Hehir and left on Higgins, Burke & Sice. Time for John Joe and the rest of the suits in the CB to hang their heads in shame and clear off. Hard to see things getting an better in Navan.

Bowl C, totally unneccesary for that draw!!!

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 06:04:25 PM

Ros fans I was talking to after the game reckon they'll just need to turn up at the Hyde to win. Typical annoying Rossie attitude but hard to argue with them based on today.

Seeing that i was among all the rossies that is pure BS but i'm not suprised you would post utter tripe like that.

Sorry RossWhatever, I didn't realise you were now the official spokesperson for all Roscommon GAA supporters and can confirm as a fact what each and every one of them said or didn't say today. The ones I spoke to were very openly confident about the final and, to be fair, have every reason to be. On current form Roscommon would have beaten Galway out the gate today long before Mayo did.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 26, 2011, 06:34:47 PM

Sorry RossWhatever, I didn't realise you were now the official spokesperson for all Roscommon GAA supporters and can confirm as a fact what each and every one of them said or didn't say today. The ones I spoke to were very openly confident about the final and, to be fair, have every reason to be. On current form Roscommon would have beaten Galway out the gate today long before Mayo did.

Just because you talked to one or two "overconfident" Roscommon fans doesn't mean it's the opinion of the majority! you can trust me it certainly is not. Yes we would have beaten Galway today on that performance by them but no more than one or two points.

Mayo will be favourites with all the bookies Roscommon the underdog again & that's all i need to know.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2011, 06:51:06 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 26, 2011, 06:34:47 PM

Just because you talked to one or two "overconfident" Roscommon fans doesn't mean it's the opinion of the majority!

Where did I say it was the opinion of the majority?! This is what I said:

Quotethe Ros fans I was talking to after the game

It wasn't like I spoke to hundreds of them - it was pissing rain and I wanted to get home!

ross matt

My God, Galway were a shambles. Its a while since I've seen anything as pathetic on a GAA field as a team sending on a lad with one fully working leg who clearly couldn't run in the warm up to try and save a game, Meehan should have been nowhere that pitch and was more likely to end his own career than drag Galway back into it. That was the worst display I have witnessed by a Galway team against Mayo in a quarter of a century of going to derby games and it will take more than an under 21 win over Cavan to turn things around.

As for us, while there is no such thing as a bad win against Galway, it was a poor enough display. The free taking was another unbelievable mess and the Ros fans I was talking to after the game reckon they'll just need to turn up at the Hyde to win. Typical annoying Rossie attitude but hard to argue with them based on today.
On the plus side I thought SOS put down a marker in midfield, Vaughan did well at CHB and McLoughlin got through a power of work all over the field, he is a real natural footballer. As I am currently in a good mood I will leave the numerous negatives for later because I don't want to depress myself...

Is that the same Ross fan that always is ignorant to you when they win games? You need to be careful Cosmo. You could be the victim of a stalker. Ps do you regularly meet a talking rabbit also called Harvey?

ross4life

Quote from: ross matt on June 26, 2011, 07:09:56 PM
My God, Galway were a shambles. Its a while since I've seen anything as pathetic on a GAA field as a team sending on a lad with one fully working leg who clearly couldn't run in the warm up to try and save a game, Meehan should have been nowhere that pitch and was more likely to end his own career than drag Galway back into it. That was the worst display I have witnessed by a Galway team against Mayo in a quarter of a century of going to derby games and it will take more than an under 21 win over Cavan to turn things around.

As for us, while there is no such thing as a bad win against Galway, it was a poor enough display. The free taking was another unbelievable mess and the Ros fans I was talking to after the game reckon they'll just need to turn up at the Hyde to win. Typical annoying Rossie attitude but hard to argue with them based on today.
On the plus side I thought SOS put down a marker in midfield, Vaughan did well at CHB and McLoughlin got through a power of work all over the field, he is a real natural footballer. As I am currently in a good mood I will leave the numerous negatives for later because I don't want to depress myself...

Is that the same Ross fan that always is ignorant to you when they win games? You need to be careful Cosmo. You could be the victim of a stalker. Ps do you regularly meet a talking rabbit also called Harvey?

Was going to type the same thing! Cosmo is a very unfortunate chap.

Cosmo Kramer

No Ive never met that rabbit, I'll let you know if I do. The 2001 stuff (which I presume you are referring to as its the last time I saw you win) is well documented by many posters including myself elsewhere on these boards. The lads today were actually fairly sound, and also very (annoyingly) confident (if youre a Mayo fan). As I said, they had reason to be after what they saw in Castlebar.

We appear to be drifting off topic.

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 26, 2011, 07:19:13 PM

We appear to be drifting off topic.
No thanks to you. When you beat us by 20pts 24 months ago you where more concerned to bring up the 2001 unfortunate incident again (would be best not to paint us all with the same brush & move on) & again today you sidetracked from the main topic to post about what some giddy Roscommon fans said to you.

ross matt

Both sides today had gone through some bad times in the lead up but I still expected much better than what was served up today and thats alllowing for the bad weather. The first half will rank as one of the worst 35min of championship football.

Mayo dominated the match all over the field and in particular midifeld thanks to the two O'Se brothers. Mcgarrity then arrived on the scene looking cool and calm on the ball plus kicking  a great point. They really should have won by in excess of 10 points. They missed some easy point chances and should have nailed a goal or two whilst the Galway goal was  a total fluke. Dillon worked his ass off but was particularly wasteful. Moran was my man of the match. Higgins cleaned up at the back but shouldnt have been left on the pitch to do so if the linesman was doing his job.

I've never seen Galway play so poorly. Not even in the bad days of the past before '98. They constantly fouled in the most lazy fashion. They never contested any 50/50 ball or showed any hunger for the breaks.  Hanly barely touched the ball whilst Bergin constantly gave it away. So did Conroy. Higgins was destroyed at centre back. Joyce just couldnt get past his man but whilst hardly in the match he did look dangerous when on the ball and I dont accept that someone of his calibre can be consigned to history after his only weak performance in the last few years. Meehan should never have been brought on and the way he was flexing the muscles he would have ended up getting the line if he was on for much longer. I cant understand why Bane was substituted. He won any ball that went his way and kicked most of his frees successfully. He was probably the most likely Galway forward to score. One point from play in the 2nd half is atrocious. Unacceptable. There are 2 AI winning u-21 sides, One AI minor side Plus Pj with two senior AI medals in that side. They should be far better than this.

Now its a Mayo/Rossie Connacht final. The concern for Ross is that Mayo will continue to improve. As Seafoid mentioned in his post the London match now needs to be put in perspective in light of them beating Fermanagh. In other words Mayo have been playing badly but winning plus crucially improving with each win. Sign of mental toughness. Not something normally associated with Mayo football so Horan must be doing something right. I'm bothered by how good their midfield looked today and also how fresh Mcgarrity looked. I've always rated Ronan highly. Midfield in an area that Ross have done very well in over the last 2 seasons but Mayo will be a big test here. Dillon will never waste so much ball again and Moran is invaluable. Their full forwardline looked like they could score goals if given early ball.

The plus for us is that our midfield will be better than Galway and as has been ruthlessly demonstrated in the Leitrim match Fergie has the Ross defenders hassling opponents without giving away soft frees. This again in contrast to Galway. Inside Shine and Kilbride are big enough to win their own ball and its unlikely they will both be stopped. Cregg then brings a different dimension to the attack in terms of hard driving runs so there will be variety. Finally O'gara will be available and he is on form as good as shine or kilbride.

Its a nice run in for Mayo. I think they will go in as even stevens or even with Ross being favourites. Despite all the underage success this will be a new aspect to deal with mentally for us. We will have to bring our A game because Mayo will definitely be up for this and will fancy themselves quietly to nail us in the manner we did Sligo in last years final. It promises to be a great match. We definitely CAN win but just now I'm unsure as to be able to say we Will win.

INDIANA

Keith Higgins has no business togging out the next day.

That was an awful cheap shot today.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on June 26, 2011, 07:36:04 PM
Keith Higgins has no business togging out the next day.

That was an awful cheap shot today.

True but it looks like it's going to get off?

mjg

He will the ref took action  so its the end of the matter