Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 03:47:33 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 03:37:01 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 03:32:45 PM
The minister and the department don't seem to realise that we parents have to make arrangements. Living on a day to day basis, is the school open? closed? arranging childcare, booking time off work, sorting out online classes, etc, etc it's tiring and fills parents with anxiety. Parents need to know. And Teachers need to help this time unlike the last time when they treated it as an early summer holiday.

If the cases keep going up what do you recommend?

Make Teachers redundant and send them to the fields to pick fruit and vegetables.
Honestly if the numbers keep rising I can't see Schools reopening. I don't agree with it but I think that is what'll happen. The disparity becomes huge. Some children will have wonderful online learning experiences and others won't. Some children will suffer huge neglect. That's the truth of it.
My own view is that every other avenue should be exhausted before closing schools. Curfews put in place. Strict work from home. Only 1 outing a day exercise or shops. No mixing. And it needs to be enforced.

I take your point trailer however if we are doing all of the above and still opening schools then the onus will very firmly fall on schools and I mean really fall onto schools.
Class bubbles, walking around corridors, sanatising etc etc - very few of these are actually being properly followed in schools

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 04:01:08 PM
The minister and the department don't seem to realise that we parents have to make arrangements. Living on a day to day basis, is the school open? closed? arranging childcare, booking time off work, sorting out online classes, etc, etc it's tiring and fills parents with anxiety. Parents need to know. And Teachers need to help this time unlike the last time when they treated it as an early summer holiday.

Make Teachers redundant and send them to the fields to pick fruit and vegetables.
Honestly if the numbers keep rising I can't see Schools reopening. I don't agree with it but I think that is what'll happen. The disparity becomes huge. Some children will have wonderful online learning experiences and others won't. Some children will suffer huge neglect. That's the truth of it.
My own view is that every other avenue should be exhausted before closing schools. Curfews put in place. Strict work from home. Only 1 outing a day exercise or shops. No mixing. And it needs to be enforced.

I agree with that. But how do you stop the spread then when you have all those children mixing together? I don't want to work from home or have my class off. I personally will be crawling the walls if schools are closed. It's not like it was in May when the weather was great. There is literally nothing to do and being in school is much better for me and the children in my class.

You don't stop the spread. How do you stop it in a meat factory? How do you stop it in a food shop? How do you stop it in a hospital? Teachers aren't the only group at risk here. You're a good guy Jim and I know you're honest in what you're saying but Teachers need to stop seeing themselves as being on some sort of imaginary front line. They're in a class room with children not the D-day landings as a poster said earlier. It's a miniscule risk in keeping schools open versus the massive upside.

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on January 04, 2021, 04:11:27 PM

I take your point trailer however if we are doing all of the above and still opening schools then the onus will very firmly fall on schools and I mean really fall onto schools.
Class bubbles, walking around corridors, sanatising etc etc - very few of these are actually being properly followed in schools

Yeah I totally get that. This isn't an ideal scenario for students or teachers. They have to mitigate as best as possible. I know in my children's primary school uses bubbles and hygiene is strictly enforced. But it's far easier in primary school. There is no perfect solution.
But I am resigned to the fact that it'll be difficult to open schools in the short term unfortunately.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 04:15:58 PM

Yeah I totally get that. This isn't an ideal scenario for students or teachers. They have to mitigate as best as possible. I know in my children's primary school uses bubbles and hygiene is strictly enforced. But it's far easier in primary school. There is no perfect solution.
But I am resigned to the fact that it'll be difficult to open schools in the short term unfortunately.

My thoughts are I want schools back asap as long as it is safe to do so.

However by the same token if there is a complete lockdown on everything bar schools then can you imagine the shit teachers will get if any cases are traced back to schools?

Completely unfair

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on January 04, 2021, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 04:15:58 PM

My thoughts are I want schools back asap as long as it is safe to do so.

However by the same token if there is a complete lockdown on everything bar schools then can you imagine the shit teachers will get if any cases are traced back to schools?

Completely unfair

That would be. I don't think blaming schools or teachers for cases is fair in any scenario.
What do you mean by "safe to do so"? No cases at all? Have you a potential case threshold that would be acceptable? Or it is physical infrastructure for want of a better description? 

JimStynes

We have over a third of the school coming back on Thursday and that figure will rise so it might not make much difference to us this time. Most of our parents are key workers so it'll end up nearly full capacity and a normal day's teaching. My school is a small school and I feel the children are pretty safe. A school a few mile down the road in the local town has been hit quite hard with positive cases though. Every school and every situation will be different.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 04:47:40 PM
We have over a third of the school coming back on Thursday and that figure will rise so it might not make much difference to us this time. Most of our parents are key workers so it'll end up nearly full capacity and a normal day's teaching. My school is a small school and I feel the children are pretty safe. A school a few mile down the road in the local town has been hit quite hard with positive cases though. Every school and every situation will be different.

Will they be doing a bronze statue or a gold one Jim?

I think a bronze one will make you look better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2021, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 04:47:40 PM

Will they be doing a bronze statue or a gold one Jim?

I think a bronze one will make you look better

I don't need a statue. The Rock is going to play me in the movie. That's good enough for me.

ONeill

Looks like dry January fcuked.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

delgany

Complete Bull.....
You belong on the Nolan show

tonto1888

That's not a lot of difference from schools being open. Lots of kids have great learning experiences. Lots don't. Lots get neglected. Either in school or at home.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Couldn't have been wile pile on line teaching done today if this thread is a reflection of things

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 04, 2021, 05:29:38 PM
Couldn't have been wile pile on line teaching done today if this thread is a reflection of things

Or parent teaching, parents would rather be on Twitter FB and the board by all accounts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 04, 2021, 05:29:38 PM

Or parent teaching, parents would rather be on Twitter FB and the board by all accounts

Wish I could have been home tbh