Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Taylor on April 24, 2020, 09:17:48 AM
Are schools going back?

No they just agreed a deal with the Government over payrises and working conditions...

They'll still be off school and get their extra holidays as well.

I take it teaching staff aren't furloughed and get full pay at the minute??

theticklemister

Quote from: screenexile on April 24, 2020, 09:54:14 AM
Are schools going back?

No they just agreed a deal with the Government over payrises and working conditions...

Im sending this from my classroom as we speak. I'm working hard.

No, no furlough

marty34

Quote from: theticklemister on April 24, 2020, 09:58:24 AM
Are schools going back?

No, no furlough

Aye, you must be flat out...on gaaboards!!

theticklemister

My gaaboard average post a day used to be 2.76; it's now 1.47. I'm spending less time on here. I'm actually going a bit of writing. We have 26 kids in; we're a hub school. I'm away at one. Getting my lunch here shortly from the canteen. Pepperoni 🍕 pizza.  Then off for three weeks.

laoislad

Are schools going back?

No, no furlough
Did no teacher ever...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theticklemister

Quote from: laoislad on April 24, 2020, 12:09:43 PM
Are schools going back?

No, no furlough
Did no teacher ever...

Pepperoni 🍕 pizza was a bit of a let down; not that it wasn't nice, just got once slice like the kids.

From the Bunker

Looks like the Leaving cert is being cancelled. Time to put all those Teachers on the €350 like all the other people out of work.

rodney trotter

They took long enough to make the decision. It should have been announced last Friday.

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2020, 09:26:18 PM
Looks like the Leaving cert is being cancelled. Time to put all those Teachers on the €350 like all the other people out of work.
Make them sweep the streets, be the only work some of them have ever done.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

rodney trotter

Quote from: hardstation on May 07, 2020, 09:38:10 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 07, 2020, 09:32:47 PM
They took long enough to make the decision. It should have been announced last Friday.
It should have been done a month ago. Correct decision in the end but they handled that pathetically.

Yes went on too long. Varadkar was asked on the late late, and said they were still intending to do exams.
He's got a lot of praise during  the pandemic, but made plenty of balls up too. Italian fans into Ireland was one.

mrdeeds

I would not like to be a LC teacher right now. Some pressure.

Boycey

My lad never did his Junior Cert, now won't do a leaving Cert either. There's not too many kids that will have left second level education without sitting a state exam.

Id not like to be the teacher that has to attempt to make any kind of estimate as to how he would have done .

marty34

Will unis start again in September or will it be distant/on-line learning?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on May 07, 2020, 10:59:17 PM
My lad never did his Junior Cert, now won't do a leaving Cert either. There's not too many kids that will have left second level education without sitting a state exam.

Id not like to be the teacher that has to attempt to make any kind of estimate as to how he would have done .

Do the schools only do one set of exams at the end of the year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Without knowing a whole pile about the LC situation, I wouldn't have thought this is a great idea:

- it's a subjective, non-standard way of assessing kids, someone is going to end up unhappy and it'll end up in court
- kids who do subjects outside school, how will these be assessed?
- puts pressure on teachers, esp in smaller areas where they know the parents; you can be sure there'll be plenty who miss out by a few points and it'll be the teacher's fault
- some teachers will allow their personal judgement of a child/family to influence the grading process
- how will it be possible to have an appeals system?

I would have thought it would be possible to facilitate a standard style exam by just putting more questions on the exam e.g. students have to answer 4/9 instead of 4/6 to allow for the fact that some won't have fully covered the syllabus. Virtually all students have access to tablets / phones where teachers could put up videos, tutorials or whatever. Holding the exams would be difficult but breaking it down into smaller groups and hiring extra supervisors must be possible.

No matter what system is in place, doing the LC in whatever form is going to put additional stress on kids,

Seems from the comments on here that most would disagree with me though. TBF, it's a good while since I did the LC and I don't know anyone currently doing it though so I guess there must be other considerations that I'm not taking into account