Time for a GAA quiz

Started by Hardy, May 09, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Er, I'm not making up any nonsense. There was a furore from the clientele of one pf Down's sponsors in the 1990s, and it was politically based and led to the sponsorship being wthdrawn >:(

5 Sams

Yes.  Down had been sponsored by Ulster Bank, but 1994 was the first year the GAA used sponsorship for the overall Championship and brought in Bank of Ireland as sponsors.  Croke Park dictated (probably on conditions made by BOI) that Down could not promote  a rival bank.
[/quote]

Correct and right
The Aristocrat Years

Trevor Hill

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 10:51:41 AM
Weren't Down sponsored by Kersten Hunik originally, then by Ulster Bank, and wasn't their some furore amonst the unionist clientele of that same bank about the bank sponsoring the "IRA at Play", and the bank pulled the sponsorship mid season or something to that effect?

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 11:36:14 AM
Er, I'm not making up any nonsense. There was a furore from the clientele of one pf Down's sponsors in the 1990s, and it was politically based and led to the sponsorship being wthdrawn >:(

Pathetic, the only place this happened was in your warped little mind.

Louth Exile

Not to bring the thread off on a tangent or to defend Mr Fearon (he's big enough to do that himself). But, that very bank did arrange inspections in branches in Donegal the day after they won their only AIF final. This meant that lads who would have been off celebrating had to report for duty, mind you I would imagine that some of them were in rag order!! I have this direct from a retired Ulster bank branch manager from Donegal, so I have no reason to doubt it.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

T Fearon

I am telling you in all seriousness, there was a problem with one of Down's early sponsors, either Kersten Hunik or the Ulster Bank (can't remember which one) and it was politically rooted, ie the customers of the sponsor objected to them sponsoring a GAA team. Mind you it didn't get as high a profile as the stingy Down county board's apoplexy at the players' deal with a football boot manufacturing company! ;D