Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

having watched the game again, i would have to congratulate DOWN on their secomd half performance, all players stepped up to the plate, the last 20 minutes  from Down were excellent with regard to ball retention. a major step forward from last year
Armagh on the other hand were extremely poor and disjointed, keeper was poor and management were indecisive with switches in the defence, in the second half Down cotrolled the midfield which again was due in part to the poor kickouts from the keeper, half forward line were atrocious all through the game, AK too ponderous and far too many cross field balls, when the ball was put in accurately damage was done, it is essential that we get Clarke back ( he was doing weights with dyas and laverty in canal court on saturday under the gaze of mc gurn )

T Fearon

But the fact is that from the tenth minute onwards, we outscored Down by a point, with only 14 men for the best part, so things need to be put in perspective. There's no doubt in my mind that had Moriarity not been sent off (and for what?) we would have won this game, the whole momentum was with us, Down were crapping themselves and ready to fold (Like they alwas do under pressure). As it was we were deflated and Down were able to double mark Stevie with the spare man, and Stevie was the best player on the field last Saturday night, until this happened.

Dont get me wrong, I was as annoyed as anyone by the result, but on reflection it was just a bad refereeing decision that cost us the game. Thats not to say we can't and need to play a lot better, but I wouldn't have any fear of meeting Down in the Championship this summer.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Tony Fearon is the Malachy Mackin of the forum - one awful delivery after another, even your fellow Armagh men are on your back now.

This hilarious thread is just like saturdays match all over again. Where I was standing sections of the crowd in the last ten minutes were cheering every dazzling hand pass by the mighty men from mourne whilst those in orange (with arses spilling out of shorts) were huffing and puffing like a pub team with no belief and void of any talent - apart from the ageing Stevie.

Yes this treads just like Saturday night with Tony and his mates trying to win the ball back with every pathetic post - I am pissing myself here. Keep her goin boys (the Armagh ones that is).

T Fearon

I am just pointing out that in spite of our worst performance in years, and with only 14 men, we outscored Down from the tenth minute onwards, with only 14 men, and having to substitute our best defender early due to the risk of his dismissal from a refereeing imbecile.

Not one Armagh player did himself justice on Saturday night, imagine what would have happened if we'd played well and with 15 men for the entire game?.

tevez

Listen boys Saturday nite was a very valuable lesson for the future of Armagh. We have learned for definite who can cut it and who cant. McEvoy is doggy, could someone not go to Mckinney and get him back. Full back line are lethal just need more protection. Finn Mo and Paul Kernan are very limited need wing half backs who are flyin and good on the ball. Need to get Dyas back and playing, will make massive difference in terms of attacking from half back line. Toner is fine Austin nowhere near it. Vernon wasn't fi. Lavery was miss too will have a big championhip for Armagh this year. Feeney tries hard but no scoring treat not good enough. Malachy Mackin not good enough. Arron Kernan needs more chances at chf. Need Clarke back, and need Jamie Clarke in squad. He knows were goal are and has speed. Swift limited so is Mickey McNamee. What's wrong with Brian Mallon? Management were terrible on line. Only left one scoring forward on field when we were behind. Brutal!

illdecide

Quote from: tevez on March 22, 2010, 10:18:42 AM
Listen boys Saturday nite was a very valuable lesson for the future of Armagh. We have learned for definite who can cut it and who cant. McEvoy is doggy, could someone not go to Mckinney and get him back. Full back line are lethal just need more protection. Finn Mo and Paul Kernan are very limited need wing half backs who are flyin and good on the ball. Need to get Dyas back and playing, will make massive difference in terms of attacking from half back line. Toner is fine Austin nowhere near it. Vernon wasn't fi. Lavery was miss too will have a big championhip for Armagh this year. Feeney tries hard but no scoring treat not good enough. Malachy Mackin not good enough. Arron Kernan needs more chances at chf. Need Clarke back, and need Jamie Clarke in squad. He knows were goal are and has speed. Swift limited so is Mickey McNamee. What's wrong with Brian Mallon? Management were terrible on line. Only left one scoring forward on field when we were behind. Brutal!

Correct
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on March 22, 2010, 10:12:24 AM
Where I was standing sections of the crowd in the last ten minutes were cheering every dazzling hand pass by the mighty men from mourne

Derry fans in the past decade have had a habit of doing this in the odd game where they comfortably got the better of Tyrone. Generally it wasn't too long until their got their comeuppance.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Club Rossa

Yeah,and they were at it when they beat us in Celtic Park last time out.
In fairness Tyrone supporters also do it and it's a thing i don't like to see from GAA people.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 10:06:06 AM
But the fact is that from the tenth minute onwards, we outscored Down by a point, with only 14 men for the best part, so things need to be put in perspective. There's no doubt in my mind that had Moriarity not been sent off (and for what?) we would have won this game, the whole momentum was with us, Down were crapping themselves and ready to fold (Like they alwas do under pressure). As it was we were deflated and Down were able to double mark Stevie with the spare man, and Stevie was the best player on the field last Saturday night, until this happened.

Dont get me wrong, I was as annoyed as anyone by the result, but on reflection it was just a bad refereeing decision that cost us the game. Thats not to say we can't and need to play a lot better, but I wouldn't have any fear of meeting Down in the Championship this summer.

But they didn't Tony, thats why we are laughing at you this mornning.

Through history Down's success is monumental in comparison to Armaghs (lack of) achievements.

And as it stands today, this history is irrelevant anyhow as Down find themselves in a position of superiority again with a 7 point hammering of Armagh on saturday night.

lemallon

Good post.  Only thing id disagree with is on Swift.  While not a fan in the past i was very impressed sat night.  It was only when the management made their crazy half time switches that he went out of the game.  Would Tony Fearon please stop posting.  He is embarrassing every genuine Armagh fan on this site.

Final Whistle

Will the CCCC be looking into the antics of a South Armagh man on Saturday evening?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Final Whistle on March 22, 2010, 10:35:08 AM
Will the CCCC be looking into the antics of a South Armagh man on Saturday evening?

Which events?

DuffleKing

Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2010, 10:20:03 AM

Correct

Except for the bit about lavery...

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 10:20:41 AM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on March 22, 2010, 10:12:24 AM
Where I was standing sections of the crowd in the last ten minutes were cheering every dazzling hand pass by the mighty men from mourne

Derry fans in the past decade have had a habit of doing this in the odd game where they comfortably got the better of Tyrone. Generally it wasn't too long until their got their comeuppance.

Who cares about Derry or Tyone for that matter, just you worry about your own county. Lets face it Saturday's thumping has given you plenty to worry about.

Trevor Hill

You really have to pity Fearon, its alright taking a hand out of him, which is all too easy, but he simply cannot see the wood for the trees. Let him call us runners up from Division 3, let him mention Wicklow even lat him say that Armagh outscored Down in the last 60 minutes of the game. What tinkywinky fails to realise is that this is not some silly Spurs game on Sky Sports. These silly statistics mean nothing, the only statistic that matters is the final score and getting 2 points. We wont harp on about Armagh not scoring for 32 minutes in the second half, or the fact that the game was basically a carbon copy of last years Kerry Dublin game were a first minute goal meant that it was all over bar the shouting. I would be much obliged if no one would tell tony that 2 yellows equal a red card in Gaelic football and that is why they ended up with 14 men, please do not remind him that McKeever should have had a straight red for assaulting Marvellous Martin Clarke. Down lost their shape after Martin had to go off and if we had been playing against a decent team or an Armagh team from the last 10 years we may have been in for a torrid time, but the current team just aren't up to the job. Down could afford to give time to a few players who may not see much game time for the rest of the year on Saturday night so easy was their cause, but don't tell that to Tony, it will only make an already bad day worse.
While Tinkywinky may not have covered himself in glory over the last 2 days, does he ever? Many of the Armagh posters have taken their defeat well and can admit that they were beaten by a better team on the day. We have had to endure defeats at the hands of Armagh for more than a decade, the tables had to turn sometime. They will turn again the other way at some stage too, no team has a monopoly. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon, you brought an atmosphere and a crowd to Pairc Esler that no one else can and it was appreciated that the vast majority of you stayed on to the end. Some of you even came in to the club for a few pints afterwards and there was a good bit of friendly banter, while others took solice in a bucket of chicken and a hasty retreat up the Point Rd.

An Dun 1-13  Ard Mhacha 1-6