Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

That was one of the strangest Down/Armagh games I have ever seen. Down started like a train, a justified but totally unnecessary penalty allowed Armagh to get going when an humiliation looked on the cards, McKeever's antics turned the match back towards Down and pushed the ref into sending off Moriarty, and the second half died a death as we gave a master class in how to use the extra man and Armagh stopped competing.

We should not dwell unduly on McKeever's attempt to play the pantomime villain, but he had clearly hyped himself up and could not get close to Marty Clarke in the early stages.  He swung a boot at a Down player who was collecting a breaking ball, and seemed to follow through after every tackle. When Clarke went down injured, although it was not certain whether it was ribs or hip, McKeever went over to see where the problem was, and then, in front of the main stand, throw his elbow into Clarke's side with full intent. The linesman saw it, and it should have been a straight red, although the ref settled for a yellow. McKeever's repeated waving to the crowd as he was hauled off before what looked like an inevitable second yellow after the break, was something which we seldom see in Gaelic games, but, for an obviously talented footballer, he is quite a piece of work.

Moriarty was caught in possession early on, again in front of the main stand where we were sitting, and appeared to pull Kearney's jersey towards him, but it seemed a harsh yellow and a free would have been sufficient,  I did not see the incident which led to his second yellow, but the referee's attitude was probably a result of McKeever's previous carry-on, it practically finished the game as a contest and he should blame his team-mate.

Alder did well enough, and was penalised from throwing himself at McDonnell's feet when the free should probably have been the other way. He might have varied his kick-outs a little, but he should hold his place.

McCartan messed up for the penalty, as he should have won the ball in the first place and there was no need to bring down an opponent who had his back to goal.  However, as usual, he steadied in the second half and was calm under pressure. Rafferty, apart from one misplaced pass, was as good as ever, but McArdle still looks like a stand-in full back. McDonnell went past him a couple of times alarmingly on limited supply, although McArdle showed up well whenever he got up the field.

Garvey was again our best defender, and a swap with McArdle is a definite option. He won the ball from his marker a couple of times, used it well and has an edge about his game. McKernan had his moments, and is close to nailing down his place, although, if he did throw an elbow for his yellow card, he needs to learn that lesson.

Colgan mixed the excellent with the semi-disastrous, and needs to work on his concentration. He misplaced at least three passes, but he did a fine sweeping job and has good anticipation and upper body strength. If Liam Doyle comes back, there may not be room for both of them in the same half back line.

There should be no doubt about the MoM. Kallum Kinng, after an uncertain start, was immense, took a series of clean catches, stopped the Armagh midfielders in their tracks and gave short simple passes on every opportunity. Ambrose, apart from a couple of handling errors, was also excellent, and killed Armagh off with his long-range free and point from play.

It was a huge frustration that Marty Clarke got injured when he seemed in the mood to rip Armagh apart. His point from out on the right wing was a gem, but it was more important that he understood what was at stake and was capable of deliveriing the goods on the big stage. Hopefully, he will be back well before the championship.

Kearney had a fine game, mostly off the ball, and worked very hard without dropping as deep as expected, while Hughes was brilliant in parts and would be even better if he could tackle effectively.

Poland has a football brain, and can take frees as well, although he is on the small side for his position, while John Clarke had an impressive first half but suffered when his brother went off.

Benny sometimes appeared to be carrying an injury but overall he terrified and bullied the opposition. His goal was the precisely the kind we used to concede , and it was his best ever display against Armagh.

Laverty was again an outstanding sub, showing for the ball, passing superbly and simply annoying every defender in sight. Maginn also looked the part, and covered a huge amount of ground, while Brannigan did nothing wrong.

We are very close to promotion now, against all expectations, and, if we can address a couple of flaws, a decent summer is a realistic prospect.   

Throw ball

Mourne Rover. I was sitting in the stand myself and would agree totally about your comments on McKeever and Moriarity's first yellow. Would also note that McKeever started a shoving match at the start of the second half of the Armagh Meath game which I believe led to the lack of concentration in defence that led to a Meath goal which ultimately cost the game. On another forum during the week I suggested that McKeever should have been left at home for the match due to his atitude towards Down. The incidents I saw (may have been some i didn't) were not of sufficient force to badly injure someone however. Hope he can now just get on with football. He is some footballer when he concentrates on football. Hope the McKeever aspect did not colour the refs approach. He will always be a poor ref if it did.

tyroneman

[quoteref not having a great game going by 10 yellows
][/quote]

I love the way it's automatically the refs fault. Did you ever stop to think players might have had a hand in it????

lemallon

If you were at the game you'd know 10 yellows was a joke

Smokin Joe

Regarding the McKeever  / Clarke incident.

I didn't see what happened that caused the original injury but when Clarke was down receiving treatment McKeever was stood beside Clarke and the physio.  McKeever did not stamp on Clarke at this time.

When they got up McKeever stupidly hit him a dig in the ribs (after seeing Clarke getting treatment on them).  It wasn't an elbow or a full force strike so a yellow was probably fair enough.

When Clarke was then coming off the field McKeever was running over towards Clarke but another Down player intercepted McKeever's run and sheperded him away from Clarke.  So some may guess what McKeever's intentions were but he never actually touched Clarke when he was leaving the pitch, contrary to what was written earlier in this thread.

As I said, in all of that I did not see what originally happened to cause the injury.

Archie Mitchell

Not suprised by McKeevers behaviour last night. He's a good advertisment for GAA. Though I also thank him for his stupidity in 2005 when he fouled Stevie O'Neill and allowed Canavan to point the winner and put the final nail in Armaghs coffin as a footballing force.

Down to be the new emerging force in Ulster.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: amallon on March 20, 2010, 10:44:55 PM
Tony you weren't looking at too many when you were leaving with 5 to go in the game!

What is it they say about rats and sinking ships?

Trevor Hill

That may have only been a second division game last night, but Down are in a different league to Armagh. Its alright beating the likes of Donegal and Meath, but even the wee teams like Armagh have to be disposed off as well.  Every aspect of last nights game has been covered over the last few pages, so I don't really need to add anything. One thing that I have to mention are the McKeever incidents. That kn**ker should not be allowed to wear a jersey of any kind, he is a disgrace to his county and the game itself, but from what I hear a credit to his club. A large section of the Armagh crowd stood up and applauded and cheered him off the field and he reacted to them like something you would see in Windsor Park. The true Armagh fan will still follow his team come what may, but we are as well off without these bandwagon supporters as we are without the likes of McKeever. Good riddance to both.

Down Scorers.
B Coulter 1-1, M Poland 0-3 (2f),A Rodgers 0-3 (1f), J Clarke 0-2 (1f), M Clarke 0-2 (1f), C Maginn 0-1, D Hughes 0-1.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Trevor Hill on March 21, 2010, 11:06:44 AM
A large section of the Armagh crowd stood up and applauded and cheered him off the field and he reacted to them like something you would see in Windsor Park. The true Armagh fan will still follow his team come what may, but we are as well off without these bandwagon supporters as we are without the likes of McKeever. Good riddance to both.

Afraid you got it wrong Trevor.

When he was subbed the Down fiathful decided to boo McKeever off the field.  McKeever was waving at them on his way of the field, which was a decent enough way to react to the booing I thought.
It was only after the panto-like booing that a proportion of Armagh fans gave him a standing ovation.

dodgy umpire

Trevor, did you and Tony bump into each other last night?

Every team needs, and their supporters admire, a player with balls, determination and a man who goes hard into tackles showing no fear to the opposition. Down have Garvey in this regard. Mc Keever has the potential to be this sort of player but instead seems to relish in being a cynical s**mbag, and he played a big part in ruining what should have been one the best contests in the entire league this year. Get well soon Marty!
The Boys in Red and Black are back

dodgy umpire

Smokin Joe, I don't support booing amature players but last night was understandable

Smokin Joe

dodgy umpire (or anyone else), can you tell me what McKeever did to merit the panto-like booing?

It certainly wasn't for anything that I seen.

How did Clarke pick up the injury?  It was definitely not due to the strike that earned McKeever a yellow card (as he hit him AFTER Clarke received treatment).

Is there any chance that the injury was picked up in a tackle during play?

dodgy umpire

Well, i suppose Marty (after three years AFL training and playing matches against far bigger and tougher opposition .. youtube Marty Clarke KO..) could have suffered the ribs injury through a tackle. But it most likely was the result of being consistently targeted by the hateful Mc Keever who was out to damage Marty even before the whistle went. I think it was Leo who asked the question earlier, how can true Armagh Gaels defend this?

Throw ball

Cannot defend some of McKeevers antics but if any Down man thinks some Down players did not step over the mark last night too they are mistaken in my opinion. They, however, may be a bit more cute.
As Down have never been the main rival to me in footballing terms (I cheered them on in 91 and 94) the one thing that disappointed me most about them is their use of the blanket defence and the way they play it. As an Armagh man I am well aware of its limitations come summer and it is not the type of football that Down usually play.

bennydorano

Typical bouts of over reaction from armaqh people, not a lot to get excited about fair enough, but there are boys here slating players (and lauding others) who had a polar opinion a few weeks ago.  The start killed us, the sending of excaserbated the poor start and we couldn't recover.  It could of course be that we have been found out but I would put it down to a bad day at the office until proven otherwise. 

Management didn't cover themselves in glory, Charlie clearly wasn't fit enough, Mal Mackin :-\ Feeney doesn't cut it for me either and as I said 2 weeks ago AK is not a chf, never will be no matter how many journo's try to say otherwise and if he doesn't revert to 5 he shouldn't be on the team.  Only positives I could see were Toner and Nippy.  Mcevoy was poor too in nets.

Down are decent side on an upward curve but would anyone be genuinely afraid of meeting Down again in a league final or championship?  I think not.