Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

priceyreilly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 13, 2018, 09:44:01 AM
It's the recent All Ireland final losses by a point each time that is annoying me. And the 'let's-all-belittle-Mayo' element of their support base which annoys me so much, and there's a good lot out there.

There is a nasty element among their support, of course there are many decent fans as well but, the failure to even acknowledge any financial assistance in their current senior football teams dominance and improvements elsewhere is really strange. This is not a conspiracy theory, the money they received is real. Let me just post the actual Dublin county board accounts from 2016 again:

I think some of the nastiness that comes from Dublin supporters is out of a form of guilt. They obviously know about the money, deep down they know that their recent All Ireland run for example, has been bought. It's difficult to face up to this so they've attempted to convince themselves that it's all myth, it's all lies, this all comes from hard work and a one of bunch of players etc. With this they also lash out, especially at counties like Mayo. This is because they know they've robbed them of All Ireland's, it's some form of physiological response, a study should be done on it.

manfromdelmonte

so 2.8 million from central council

and 57,000 from fundraising
they must have the worst fundraising setup in the country

even the Longford county board can fundraise more than that!

Rossfan

Longford CB had to because Central GAA don't give them bucket loads "because the GAA needs a strong Longford"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 13, 2018, 10:27:10 AM
It's the recent All Ireland final losses by a point each time that is annoying me. And the 'let's-all-belittle-Mayo' element of their support base which annoys me so much, and there's a good lot out there.

There is a nasty element among their support, of course there are many decent fans as well but, the failure to even acknowledge any financial assistance in their current senior football teams dominance and improvements elsewhere is really strange. This is not a conspiracy theory, the money they received is real. Let me just post the actual Dublin county board accounts from 2016 again:

I think some of the nastiness that comes from Dublin supporters is out of a form of guilt. They obviously know about the money, deep down they know that their recent All Ireland run for example, has been bought. It's difficult to face up to this so they've attempted to convince themselves that it's all myth, it's all lies, this all comes from hard work and a one of bunch of players etc. With this they also lash out, especially at counties like Mayo. This is because they know they've robbed them of All Ireland's, it's some form of physiological response, a study should be done on it.

Not as much belittling other counties though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 13, 2018, 11:18:42 AM
Not as much belittling other counties though.

You mean they don't belittle other counties as well? I think they do. Especially when the whole financial irregularities are pointed out. They can't argue against facts so they pick on the county the person is from and attempt to belittle them. They also like to go on personal attacks. It's all apart of the guilt complex they have. I don't know, it must be their way of dealing with it.

CJ2017

Regarding Bricks and Mortar,

Dubs in the rough over closure of Spawell golf centre in Templeogue
September 9 2018

More than 900 people have signed a petition calling for Dublin GAA not to close a golf facility, including a pitch-and-putt course and driving range, that forms part of a commercial complex it bought last year for more than €9m.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/50390ea6-b38d-11e8-a565-f2666ba9742c

From the Bunker

Dublin ladies retain All Ireland........Just saying!

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 13, 2018, 07:15:32 AM
Firstly he mentions bricks and mortar but conveniently skips over why Dublin don't do this. Secondly everyone here is acutely aware of the benefit of GDOs.

Quotet
Their work within schools and clubs, although unheralded, has also helped funnel elite younger players towards their development squads where they start to focus on playing together in the Dublin jersey

So since you think this is a wonderful article then you agree with this point about how the millions of GAA has helped the Dublin Senior football team!
Simply incorrect.
The team managers, almost always a parent, select the best 6 or 8 lads to go to the trials. The one time I went along it was run by Stephen O'Shaughnessy, with a number of other ex-Dub volunteers helping him. Numbers are then whittled down every time a subsequent trial is run, until a certain number is reached that will play games.
No involvement from the GDOs.

Hound

As without doubt the biggest rivals of the Dublin team, of course the fans are going to take the most joy out of beating our biggest rivals. We've two very painful defeats in recent memory also to add to that and plenty say they have memories of Mayo fans shoving it to them in the aftermath of those games. (Not me, I might add).

But "belittling" is nonsense in my opinion. Plenty of other fans from other counties seem to take great joy in belittling Mayo's achievements when they lose a final but Dubs fans know exactly how good Mayo have been in recent years.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2018, 08:58:35 AM
As without doubt the biggest rivals of the Dublin team, of course the fans are going to take the most joy out of beating our biggest rivals. We've two very painful defeats in recent memory also to add to that and plenty say they have memories of Mayo fans shoving it to them in the aftermath of those games. (Not me, I might add).

But "belittling" is nonsense in my opinion. Plenty of other fans from other counties seem to take great joy in belittling Mayo's achievements when they lose a final but Dubs fans know exactly how good Mayo have been in recent years.

Oh, spare us all the magnanimous winners nonsense. Dublin GAA executed a coordinated hit job on Lee Keegan before one of those finals ffs.

Hound

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2018, 11:46:44 AM

Oh, spare us all the magnanimous winners nonsense. Dublin GAA executed a coordinated hit job on Lee Keegan before one of those finals ffs.
Awesome!
No relevance whatsover to the post, but hats off, that's awesome nonsense. What about the mask has slipped? You haven't used that in at least a couple of days. You're not fooling anyone  ;D

In fairness, it's probably a long time since you passed up the chance to be a magnanimous winner against Mayo, and you couldn't even belittle them for coming second this year. Get stuck in.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2018, 11:46:44 AM

A couple of pundits is Dublin GAA.

Swings and rounds..... Horan 2012 springs to mind.

mup

Like him or love him you have got to admire Ewan McKenna.

Despite their insistence that he's a nobody in the eyes of Dublin GAA Fans, his ability to arise apoplexy amongst those same fans gives me great enjoyment.

If you are listening Ewan - keep up the good work.  Legend. ;D ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2018, 08:51:25 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 13, 2018, 07:15:32 AM
Firstly he mentions bricks and mortar but conveniently skips over why Dublin don't do this. Secondly everyone here is acutely aware of the benefit of GDOs.

Quotet
Their work within schools and clubs, although unheralded, has also helped funnel elite younger players towards their development squads where they start to focus on playing together in the Dublin jersey

So since you think this is a wonderful article then you agree with this point about how the millions of GAA has helped the Dublin Senior football team!
Simply incorrect.
The team managers, almost always a parent, select the best 6 or 8 lads to go to the trials. The one time I went along it was run by Stephen O'Shaughnessy, with a number of other ex-Dub volunteers helping him. Numbers are then whittled down every time a subsequent trial is run, until a certain number is reached that will play games.
No involvement from the GDOs.
I'd be careful here to differentiate between the elite and the run of the mill  kids who play the game for pure enjoyment and are not talented enough to play at senior level or are not prepared to put in the work needed to get on to the top team in any grade they play in.
There are a lot of kids who will ever get near intercounty standard at any level but who could could be valuable club members as they grow older and move up the various grades. It's a case of prioritising your objectives.
Regardless of which way you want to go, it's always a wise ideas to have parents involved and just as important, kids are more inclined to join a club of any sort if some of their pals are joining up also.
Sending GDOs into primary schools to persuade kids to join the local club can be a waste of time and money and I am saying this from personal experience. Of course, it helps if they know some boys already there, like brothers or pals or if parents encourage them to join. Sure, school boys may show an initial interest and may even sign up but they won't hang around for long.
For decades, primary teachers promoted Gaelic games in the school where they taught. I was one of those for almost 30 years. There was no need for GDOs as long as there were male teachers, lay or religious, working in a boys' school.
Nowadays, the number of men involved in teaching has fallen dramatically, and clubs are forced to go looking for new members.
Sending GDOs into schools is a proactive move alright but unless those sent in are already known to the kids or if there are no pals prepared to join also, be prepared for an underwhelming response.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM