Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Ya john is his father, a maths teacher in muredachs, "Take it down", "Two oranges and 4 apples don't make 6 orange apples".
His mother is from knockmore
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

'Maths is a language'  ;D
]Fair play to the lads. Seems it was a very one-sided game. Howley must have had some game to deny Kilcoyne the man of the match award and him scoring 1-8.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Kilcoyne did a lot of his scoring from frees.

"Its not written on the wondow"

dodo

"Mayo trio to get All-Ireland medals
THREE former Mayo footballers, including a former President of the GAA, are to be presented with All-Ireland senior football medals next month - 55 years after they won the final.

Willie Casey, Paddy Jordan and former GAA President Dr Mick Loftus were all members of the Mayo squad which completed the two-in-a-row with a 2-8 to 0-9 victory over Meath.

But they never got their medals because they didn't come on as subs during the final, and now Mayo county board is to set the record straight by presenting the trio with their medals on December 22 when this year's Mayo team get their Connacht senior championship medals.

"We were in the photograph on the day of the final, but we never came on, so Paddy, Willie and I were not entitled to medals. Back then, it was only 18 players who got a medal," said Dr Loftus, last month won four medals at the World Athletic Games for 75-79 year-olds.

Gardiner gets top player award
MAYO footballer Peadar Gardiner's outstanding year for his club Crossmolina has been recognised with his selection as the leading club player in the county.

Gardiner was named as the People's Choice Player of the Year.

MAYO TEAM OF THE SEASON - B Heneghan (Tourmakeady); J Scanlon (Kiltane), T Nallen (Crossmolina), J Brogan (Knockmore); S Drake (Ballaghaderreen), E Casey (Ballina), P Gardiner (Crossmolina); B Kelly (Ballaghaderreen), J Nallen (Crossmolina); A Moran (Ballaghaderreen), C McDonald (Crossmolina), A Dillon Ballintubber); C Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib), B Regan (Ballaghaderreen), J Keane (Crossmolina). Subs: K Golden (Ballina), D Prendergast (Tourmakeady), P Harte (Ballina), D Moran (Ballaghaderreen), A Kilcoyne (Knockmore). "

Taken from Irish Indo/Unison.

Mayo4Sam

Brogan deserved to get on.
Not surprised howley didn't, for a lot of the year he was used as a man-marker, not his greatest attribute, a much better marker of space, like his predecessor peter butler

rosnarun

so how many of these guys should be on the county panel from a Cross point of view I feel that ship has sailed for joe Keane and Tom nallen
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OkeyDoke

Quote from: rosnarun on November 28, 2006, 04:42:25 PM
so how many of these guys should be on the county panel from a Cross point of view I feel that ship has sailed for joe Keane and Tom nallen

Probably true for Tom Nallen but i reckon that Joe Keane is worth a go. I'm surprised that Maughan never gave him a better chance at county level

Barney

Would like to see John Brogan and Eanna Casey get a chance

Mayo4Sam

I dont think either are good enough, should be given a try alright but think they would fall short

Farrandeelin

I don't think either are good enough for county level either. John Brogan is a good club player but there is a difference between club and county. Casey probably is in the same bracket, I think he was given a chance already but I'm not too sure.

StoneWall

The following are the proposals for the New League Structure
    1 Teams who hold senior championship status will play in the senior  League
    2 Teams who hold Intermediate Championship status will play in Intermediate league
    3 All other teams will play in Junior League
    4 10th March WEEK END set aside for Gaeltacht Tournament
    5 Leagues begin on 17/18 March
    6 There will be no relegation from league-championship will decide if you are senior /inter/or junior
    7 Some Games will have to be played without county players when the county team is on duty
    8 The league to be completed by second week in October at latest
    9 The prize money will be s folows-6000 for div 1 4000 for div 2 and 2000 for Junior Div. The money to go to players holiday fund.   
    10 The entry  fee will be 100 euro per team

I hope the clubs get to vote on this!

Keery first leage game at home.

Mayo4Sam

The new league status would obviously benifit us but to be honest i dont think its completely fair and i can see it getting to a stage of the rich getting richer in terms of quality of opposition

guy crouchback

eana casey got a run in the trials last year. i only saw him in one game and thought he did fairly well, but then you really needed to stand out in those games. i think he would be worth another look as he seems to have matured as a player and has the speed and strenght.

Farrandeelin

Regarding the new league format, I don't believe it's a great idea at all. It could mean clubs treating the league as friendlies because it doesn't matter where anyone finishes it seems.

StoneWall

Having no relegation and promotion totally negates the league. The league is reduced to a series of friendlies. It would also be come very static and stagnant. Under the current system at least 4 new teams enter each division (besides division 1 which is 2) with a potential of 6 (three for division 1).

Essentially the year will be reduced to three competitive games, these being the group stages of the championship. In theory most teams will only have to win one group championship game all year to maintain their league and championship status!

When your league position affecting your championship status was removed a few years back the club delegates were apparently told that it was a directive from Croke Park that league position could not determine your championship status. In Galway league position still determines championship status.