Drivers Knock down cyclist in London

Started by ballinaman, October 21, 2012, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Crazy stuff here. How some people are allowed to drive is beyond me. I drive and cycle in Dublin and some of the stuff you see drivers do is ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6qycF0raqpg

She really annoyed me. Sat on her arse in the car instead on checking on the cyclist. I'd say she was just watching the Golf and when the Golf went to turn right she assumed the way was clear to her right.

Found this in the youtube comments.

"Driver one RJ05 EFO Chris Bassett OF Harrow, PLEADED GUILTY ( His statement was that he's insurance company told not to plead not guilty as there was no damage to his car but on seeing the video he pleaded guilty). : RECEIVED SIX POINT AND A £230 FINE.
Drive two NC04 LXG Sue Trepak of Hanwell, has pleaded NOT GUILITY even on view the video. The court case has been delay until sep 2012 due to the court has not the facility to play the video format (.MOV)."

trileacman

I drive and cycle in dublin as well and to be fair I've seen both sides as guilty as each other. Firstly some drivers don't watch themselves and look out for cyclists and some cyclists have no respect for pedestrians or the rules of the road. The amount of times i've seen cyclists run lights, make turns without signalling or mount a kerb/cross a road is easily as many times as I've seen motorists ignore cyclists.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

turk

When insurance companies tell motorists never to admit they are at fault even when you are at fault then you will get apes like this. A mate of mind broke a stop sign and pulled out on a main road in front of an oncoming car. Luckily everyone was ok but there was a good bit of damage to the cars. He said he was at fault from the start. His insurance company gave him a load of hassle over it.

The other side of the stick then is when baboons go and stick on a neck collar even when they are at fault and head off to court to get some of the cash merry go round that is jacking up everyone's insurance premiums!

laoislad

Cyclists in Dublin are a pain in the arse.
The rules of the road seemingly don't apply to the f**kers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bennydorano

I cringe at some cyclists manouveres (as a keen one myself) some assholes with licences thou. Wee bastid in a tractor near killed 2 of us a few weeks back & he done it in pure badness too.

turk

Very few people think they are a bad driver!

Fear ón Srath Bán

"I didn't see you" says she, and the bike under her car>:(

And any muppets concerned road users talking about the transgressions of cyclists: an errant bike won't kill you, but an errant car probably will.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thewobbler

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 21, 2012, 10:37:07 PM

And any muppets concerned road users talking about the transgressions of cyclists: an errant bike won't kill you, but an errant car probably will.

Here's the thing though. Motorists are taxed, insured and licensed. They can be punished in multiple ways should they break the rules of the road, let alone cause an incident.

Cyclists can switch from pavement to road, jump through red lights, ride three abreast, and cause any mayhem they so choose while listening to their iPod at full volume, without any punishment.

There are many, many bad drivers on the road. But it is nearly always possible to predict what a bad driver will do, because it will usually fall within the outer barriers of road use. It's not the same of cyclists.

When that issue is redressed, I'll start to look upon our two wheeled cousins' plight with more sympathy. Until they start policing themselves though, I'm ambivalent.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2012, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 21, 2012, 10:37:07 PM

Here's the thing though. Motorists are taxed, insured and licensed. They can be punished in multiple ways should they break the rules of the road, let alone cause an incident.

We're all taxed Wobbler, next you'll be telling me that road tax is spent exclusively on the roads.

I drive and cycle weekly in Dublin, and can say with no fear of contradiction that cyclists cause me no issues in my car, but cars cause me plenty on my bike.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

maddog

I have never seen this wobbler and i have been cycling for getting on 30 years. There is a code, ride 2 abreast when you are out in the countryside but first sign of a car you go single file. Motorists are generally fuckwits and the bigger more expensive the car will be in keep with the lack of consideration shown to cyclists. A bike wont write anyone off but a car will. That whole tax argument is bollix because most cyclists happen to be motorists too. Having spent a week in craigavon as a result of a pissed driver and me on the aul racer i feel strongly about this. Ask some of the lads from Newry Wheelers as they were called back in the day, they will tell you.

tyssam5

Quote from: ballinaman on October 21, 2012, 09:58:43 AM
Crazy stuff here. How some people are allowed to drive is beyond me. I drive and cycle in Dublin and some of the stuff you see drivers do is ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6qycF0raqpg

She really annoyed me. Sat on her arse in the car instead on checking on the cyclist. I'd say she was just watching the Golf and when the Golf went to turn right she assumed the way was clear to her right.

Found this in the youtube comments.

"Driver one RJ05 EFO Chris Bassett OF Harrow, PLEADED GUILTY ( His statement was that he's insurance company told not to plead not guilty as there was no damage to his car but on seeing the video he pleaded guilty). : RECEIVED SIX POINT AND A £230 FINE.
Drive two NC04 LXG Sue Trepak of Hanwell, has pleaded NOT GUILITY even on view the video. The court case has been delay until sep 2012 due to the court has not the facility to play the video format (.MOV)."

Very calm gent, I'd have been going a bit more nuts there. Been meaning to get a helmet cam, almost got the same last week.

bennydorano

As a club member I have a cycling licence which means i'm licenced & insured (3rd party), i also  pay every other tax going, so your argument is a bit pants wobbler.  I've saw police tackling cyclists as well, so we're not exactly exempt from the law.

nifan

Some people are just selfish pricks - whether on a bike or in a car.

In london as a pedestrian Id say bikes are a more concerning issue to me - cars at least dont run red lights generally but some cyclists do.

When I do drive in london, which i do as little as I can, its touch and go which i see more off - bad cyclists or bad drivers.

For the good cyclists some of the insane cycle lane sections dont help them - sharing with buses or changing lanes randomly coming up to major junctions.

thewobbler

Quote from: bennydorano on October 22, 2012, 09:09:50 AM
As a club member I have a cycling licence which means i'm licenced & insured (3rd party), i also  pay every other tax going, so your argument is a bit pants wobbler.  I've saw police tackling cyclists as well, so we're not exactly exempt from the law.

1. So you don't see that you're the exception here? How many cycling licences are in circulation.

2. When police "track" a cyclist, what punishment are they likely to hand out? It's not like they're going to lose the books.

3. I'm a taxed, licensed and insured car driver. But I wouldn't ride a motorbike on a public road.

There are many, many very safe, very reliable cyclists in this world. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But all too many cyclists I face on the roads every day in Belfast are anything but. Should an accident occur between me and them, I'm guilty without trial. I lose out.

Croí na hÉireann

Another cycling commuter who pays road tax and car insurance here. I do find though that attitudes towards cyclists have gradually improved over the years, although they were piss poor to start with. Idiotic cyclists who break lights at major junctions grind my gears as much as idiotic motorists who manage to come to a complete stop in the bike lane and force cyclists off the road. Have seen a cyclist pulled over for an outrageous break of lights so cyclists are are no more above the law than a motorist.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...