Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2020, 01:23:16 PM
Quote from: WT4E on January 23, 2020, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on January 23, 2020, 12:26:06 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 23, 2020, 11:54:33 AM
Couldn't believe when I heard the result.  It was like the shock of the referendum all over again only this time remain won when you would have thought leave would have come through by a landslide.

My biggest gripe is that there seems to be very little to no engagement whatsoever from clubs and their actual reserve players.  From speaking to a number of reserve players, a lot where in favour of this new system but nobody bothered to ask them on their thoughts or views which I find the most disappointing aspect and shows a total lack of respect from the clubs towards their own reserve players. 

A few old heads at the top of each club calling the shots.  The gammons have won again.  Welcome to Brexit Tyrone.

As I said earlier Carrickmore did consult there senior squad and their was no appetite for it at all. The lads in their mid to late 20s said they would retire if they were not on the senior squad, which wouldnt be possible if the reserve were playing on a different day.
Maybe if WT4E or his Kildress club had of followed Carrickmores path on player development they wouldnt be in Division. Why would we vote to change something that is working for us?

OUCH!

But sure Carrickmores all about tradition Hi!

Our club where against it from what I hear and the players where never consulted. From a purely selfish point of view I thought it would have been to our benefit letting lads play teams of a better quality as they only had about 3-4 competitive league fixtures last year.

But how would they not be in the senior squad? Do Carrickmore just list 24 or 26 for a Sunday and all the rest play reserve? Is that how it works?

I understand some clubs are against it but this is going to get worse not better. Teams are going to concede more and more games. Fionn's list won't get any better.

Is it only Carrickmore and Gavin McElroy that believe this will lead to two seperate squads training?

red knight

lads to have reserves playing on a different night  to seniors cant really work the way every1 thinks it will.
There is clubs that have lads working away during the week and lads at Uni and to ask them lads to come up the road for a match on Monday night then travel again for training on Tuesdays was a bit unfair.
Even with the matches been played on a Saturday meant that the reserves would be training Friday match Saturday and then 8/10 of them togging out again for senior panel on the Sunday.
I am in agreement that something needs done regarding reserves football and 1 way of sorting it is that all senior managers name just 15 players to play seniors and the rest play reserves. This craic of senior managers naming 18/19 players for a senior match and not letting lads play reserves football has to stop.

Norf Tyrone

Lots of good debate on here.

For me this was all rushed. Proposal one week. Vote the next.

Propsals would've been welcome early December. Clubs could've digested at AGMs etc and come back early January with a host of suggestions/ proposals and voted late January.

There are positives and negatives in every proposal.

If you've a number of players who start reserve and are numbers 16 to 24 for seniors they are out 4 x nights a week. Never mind if they are on committee, coaching youth teams, gym sessions etc.

That's not sustainable in the proposal.

You could say well just train one night. That then causes your senior training to be ran with 15 men. If some of them can't make training or carrying a knock your numbers are down to a dozen or so.

The reserve problems has always been blamed on 'lack of regular games'.

In the new divisional structure at adult level with 22 x games this is gone. So wait until the end of 2021 and review I'd suggest.

IF the problem is perhaps lack of competitive games using the Moy/ Kildress examples. One is too good for Div 3 and one too weak for Div 1.

Change the reserve Championship.

This year as Kildress won reserve league they will play reserve Championship in Intermediate but league in junior. The propsal needs thought out though but its an example that there other solutions out there.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Wee Roddy

This is a great post Norf.
These are the reasons the clubs voted against it. A club would suffer in whole because a few clubs cant field reserve teams.
So it turns out Carrickmore are not the only one against it WT4E :-)
You do know i was only goading earlier dont you......

WT4E

Of course.... I expect nothing less from our neighbours.

We'll be back. 😉

general_lee

In Armagh we have reserves of a Wednesday night. Totally separate from where your senior team is. It's split north/south. Top two from each play off for the league final. Championship is all county knock out. Eligibility for league is anyone who didn't start the previous senior match. Yes it includes county men but personally haven't seen it. Eligibility for championship is anyone who didn't play for senior team in championship. The clubs with big numbers field a second senior team in junior football. Not perfect but clubs who don't/can't field reserve teams don't bother and those who do are provided with some tangible structure. Still plenty of w/os and dnfs but again it's reserve football and will always be second fiddle

PMG1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 23, 2020, 12:11:18 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 22, 2020, 10:43:25 PM
Fionn Dromore never conceded a reserve game in 2018, haven't to my knowledge conceded a reserve game in at least 10 years.

From tyronegaa.ie/fixtures-results-2018

Sun 21st Oct 18

An Droim Mór Naoimh Damhnait (CONC) v (0-0) Domhnach Mór Naoimh Pádraig

ACFL Division 1 Reserve 2018 9
12:00 PM

Definitely wrong on the website the

GlenMan

Quote from: general_lee on January 23, 2020, 10:24:44 PM
In Armagh we have reserves of a Wednesday night. Totally separate from where your senior team is. It's split north/south. Top two from each play off for the league final. Championship is all county knock out. Eligibility for league is anyone who didn't start the previous senior match. Yes it includes county men but personally haven't seen it. Eligibility for championship is anyone who didn't play for senior team in championship. The clubs with big numbers field a second senior team in junior football. Not perfect but clubs who don't/can't field reserve teams don't bother and those who do are provided with some tangible structure. Still plenty of w/os and dnfs but again it's reserve football and will always be second fiddle

The Armagh system was ridiculed beyond reason by some of the Tyrone Clubs at both fixture meetings. I think Carrickmore called it a 'pub league'.

omagh_gael

Have Carmen ever considered a thirds team? Surely they'd easily have the numbers for this. It would be interesting to see how the reserves for biggest teams in the county get on in junior football.

trueblue1234

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 24, 2020, 11:09:59 AM
Have Carmen ever considered a thirds team? Surely they'd easily have the numbers for this. It would be interesting to see how the reserves for biggest teams in the county get on in junior football.

They had one a few years ago.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

SkillfulBill

Quote from: PMG1 on January 23, 2020, 11:40:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 23, 2020, 12:11:18 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 22, 2020, 10:43:25 PM
Fionn Dromore never conceded a reserve game in 2018, haven't to my knowledge conceded a reserve game in at least 10 years.

From tyronegaa.ie/fixtures-results-2018

Sun 21st Oct 18

An Droim Mór Naoimh Damhnait (CONC) v (0-0) Domhnach Mór Naoimh Pádraig

ACFL Division 1 Reserve 2018 9
12:00 PM

Definitely wrong on the website the

Definitely right Dromore pitch could only take one game on day due to water. But nothing to do with the ability or desire of Dromore to field.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 24, 2020, 11:29:09 AM

Yeah, thought they would walk the Junior league IIRC.  Turns out reserve teams are reserve teams for a reason.

The_Slug

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 24, 2020, 12:20:32 PM

Yeah, thought they would walk the Junior league IIRC.  Turns out reserve teams are reserve teams for a reason.

speaking of thirds teams, any truth that the fianna are considering thirds team? would certainly have the numbers

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The_Slug on January 24, 2020, 12:35:02 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 24, 2020, 12:20:32 PM

speaking of thirds teams, any truth that the fianna are considering thirds team? would certainly have the numbers

They could field a 4ths.

HalfBack7

Disappointed that the reserve proposal wasn't at least tried for one year. Don't think it would have made the the leagues any worse. The majority of reserve games which get conceded seem to be near the end of the season, might be an idea to let the reserve leagues continue on during the summer when the senior league pauses for county action.
A slight bye law changes regarding grading of senior and reserve players could help this.

Does anyone know if Central Council are still proposing a change to the rule regarding age grades at club level at Congress in Feb to force counties to change to u13, u15 and u17 ages grades from 2021 on?