All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2014, 03:11:43 PM
Whatever about the ref thing, using Limerick as any sort of excuse is absolutely pathetic.

I agree... this issue should be gone at this stage. Sometimes life is shit but there's nothing you can do about it but get over it. It's not as blatant as Mayo are making out and you certainly aren't as hard done by as Louth were!!!

My gut feeling about the match on Sunday is it will be a horrible game more akin to an arm wrestle than a game of Gaelic football. I think it will be something similar to the Dublin/Donegal match 3 years ago.

Donegal will play the same defensive system they always have but Kerry will not fall into the trap. A bit like the Armagh game it will be tight and whoever can keep their heads the best for the last 5 minutes will ultimately be the victors. I don't think it will be a classic but I'm interested in seeing how the game pans out.

I had 2 tickets (f**king won them in a draw as well) and booked to stay overnight but one of my Customers is married to a Kerry woman and needs the tickets to sort out the family. Raging!!!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

By the way, seeing as how tickets were mentioned..I have relatives coming from across the water and as far away as Norway with no tickets..if anybody has a spare one (or more) I can offer cash plus pints in Dublin in return if needed. Just sayin'! Have a Hill ticket myself but hoping to get a stand ticket. Want to watch minors aswell and 4 hours on the Hill would cripple a healthy man, not to mind a semi retired footballer with dodgy knees such as myself!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Croí na hÉireann

Nothing between these teams and it'll be a dour enough final compared to the 3 semi finals but think Donegal will sneak it by a point or two for a couple of reasons.

1. Both teams will look to hammer the hammer, O'Donoghue for Kerry and Murphy for Donegal. Donegal have already done this in the Derry game where Lacey marked Mark Lynch out of it and I expect him to take up O'Donoghue. Will be comfortable inside on him or if he comes out to take on the Gooch/Dec O'Sullivan playmaking role. The talk in Kerry is that O'Mahony will take up Murphy but I think Marc O Se would be more suited. Got something to prove after being dropped the last day and when Kerry players are blackguarded they deliver.

2. Donegal are as close to goal denying opportunities as it is possible to get whereas Kerry have conceded at least one goal apart from the Cork game.

3. Donegal have the experience of All Ireland final day in 12 whereas 9 of the Kerry team weren't there in 09.

That said Kerry have the better long range pointers and the stronger bench but calling it for Donegal, just.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 19, 2014, 03:45:43 PM
Nothing between these teams and it'll be a dour enough final compared to the 3 semi finals but think Donegal will sneak it by a point or two for a couple of reasons.

1. Both teams will look to hammer the hammer, O'Donoghue for Kerry and Murphy for Donegal. Donegal have already done this in the Derry game where Lacey marked Mark Lynch out of it and I expect him to take up O'Donoghue. Will be comfortable inside on him or if he comes out to take on the Gooch/Dec O'Sullivan playmaking role. The talk in Kerry is that O'Mahony will take up Murphy but I think Marc O Se would be more suited. Got something to prove after being dropped the last day and when Kerry players are blackguarded they deliver.

2. Donegal are as close to goal denying opportunities as it is possible to get whereas Kerry have conceded at least one goal apart from the Cork game.

3. Donegal have the experience of All Ireland final day in 12 whereas 9 of the Kerry team weren't there in 09.

That said Kerry have the better long range pointers and the stronger bench but calling it for Donegal, just.

Lacey on Ham-ez?? That would be out of left field!Won't happen I'd say. Lacey will start on Buckley/Walsh and hope to make hay going forward. He doesn't usually man-mark these days. Crowley will likely pick up Murphy. Marc on McFadden.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 19, 2014, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 19, 2014, 03:45:43 PM

Lacey on Ham-ez?? That would be out of left field!Won't happen I'd say. Lacey will start on Buckley/Walsh and hope to make hay going forward. He doesn't usually man-mark these days. Crowley will likely pick up Murphy. Marc on McFadden.

Left field is what Fitzmaurice and McGuinness go to bed dreaming about. Throw something at the opposition that they weren't expecting to get them out of their comfort zone. Remember Jack O'Connor putting Donaghy wing forward to disrupt Cluxton's kickouts to Flynn on that wing?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Agent Orange

Are tickets scarce for the game? Got a few calls from people this morning looking for tickets.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Agent Orange on September 19, 2014, 04:06:18 PM
Are tickets scarce for the game? Got a few calls from people this morning looking for tickets.

I've never seen a heavier demand down in Kerry for a final AO. The susprise factor and the momentum from the semi final win (when a huge Kerry crowd went to Limerick especially) are possible factors in this.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 19, 2014, 04:24:46 PM

I've never seen a heavier demand down in Kerry for a final AO. The susprise factor and the momentum from the semi final win (when a huge Kerry crowd went to Limerick especially) are possible factors in this.

If there is a big demand for tickets in the Kingdom then I can't see there being too many spares on Sunday. I remember the Cork v Kerry final a few years back and people were literally giving tickets away.

Good luck on Sunday.

J70

Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: rrhf on September 19, 2014, 07:32:57 AM
No songs for this all Ireland. Two serious managers. Getting close to weekend. Looking forward to a few pints in fagans on Sunday morning.

Plenty of songs about and plenty of farm animals painted down in kerry too.

Two serious managers?,time will tell if fitzmaurice is any use. Two very lucky teams if you ask me, Dublin took their eye off the ball and Mayo were fookin robbed.

armaghniac

Quote from: Agent Orange on September 19, 2014, 04:30:12 PM

If there is a big demand for tickets in the Kingdom then I can't see there being too many spares on Sunday. I remember the Cork v Kerry final a few years back and people were literally giving tickets away.

Good luck on Sunday.

However, the same counties being in the minor surely makes more tickets available.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2014, 04:57:41 PM

Good luck on Sunday.

However, the same counties being in the minor surely makes more tickets available.

There were Kerry fans at the replay that had never gone to a inter-county game out side the Provence probably ever. (And they did not have to go outside the province for replay). They probably got the bug or a connection with this team from that game?

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 19, 2014, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2014, 04:57:41 PM

Good luck on Sunday.

There were Kerry fans at the replay that had never gone to a inter-county game out side the Provence probably ever. (And they did not have to go outside the province for replay). They probably got the bug or a connection with this team from that game?

;D

J70

We've played Galway three times in the last decade or so in the championship.

The first, a drawn quarter final, was in Croke Park.
The replay of that quarter final in 2003 was in McHale Park.
Our qualifier meeting in 2009 was in Markievicz Park.

I don't remember hearing much in the way of complaining from Donegal supporters. The team just got on with it and won the two games at Connacht venues.

manfromdelmonte

Galway fans only start appearing once they get to an AI final, in football or hurling