Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

thought Ronan O'Neill was super when he came on, as was McNabb.

Lucifer

I'm not a Tyrone man, nor do I have any love for Conor Gormley, but if you watch the footage between Mone and Gormley again carefully, you will see that Gormley grabbed Mones forearm and in the ensuing tussle Mone's hand flicked back and hit himself in the face.  Look at the gloves if you are struggling to see this.  Given how Mone reacted to the Penrose strike, his lack of reaction to the apparent Gormley 'strike' is noteworthy.  Gormley did not strike Mone.  It was not a red card offence. 

Jinxy

Gormley is that sly I have no doubt he could deliberately make a man hit himself in the face.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

EC Unique

Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2013, 12:16:41 AM
Gormley is that sly I have no doubt he could deliberately make a man hit himself in the face.
;D

under the bar

You could say Tyrone out-Monaghaned Monaghan!

BennyCake

Quote from: under the bar on August 04, 2013, 01:06:32 AM
You could say Tyrone out-Monaghaned Monaghan!

Out-Monaghaned? They performed well v Donegal. That was it. They were very average today and v Antrim and Cavan. Flash in the pan.

TF15

After watching the match again there. Firstly, I must say how proud I am of this group in the guts they are showing to close out these tight games. Roscommon, Kildare, Meath and Monaghan the metal of these lads was tested and each time they dug it out.

MOTM for me is shared. Sean Cavanagh for his first half of globetrotter stuff (Certain All-Star now) and Peter Harte in the second half for driving the team forward time and again. In the second half the amount of attacks he drove on and set up scores from was very striking.

My ratings for the match from a Tyrone perspective.

- McConnell: 7 (Kickouts much improved, one poor one nearly cost us dearly)
- McCarron: 6 (Took a toasting early but improved as the game went on and was very good coming out of defence)
- Clarke: 7.5 (Caught kick outs, scored a lovely ball and exuded composure on the ball throughout)
- Carlin 7 (Love his determination, played well tonight and did a better job on McManus than McCarron)
- Gormley: 6.5 (Craftiest player in Ireland, was great at times but made a few errors)
- Harte: 8.5 ( A quiet opening, developed as the 1st half progressed and was peerless in the 2nd)
- McGinley: 8 (Played really well, took a lot of flak, showing his worth, seriously athletic, nice point too)
- Colm Cavanagh: 8 (Best game this year, coming good at the right time!!)
- Sean Cavangh: 9 (Best player in Ireland for me, absolutely incredible)
- Mattie Donnelly: 7.5 (Played this game with the flu, made everything stick when he went to full forward, going the right way about an All Star)
- Joe McMahon: 8.5 (2 super points, is there a better all round footballer in the country?!? Hope the injuries not to serious) 
- Mark Donnelly: 7.5 (Carried so much important ball in the 2nd half, a real team player)
- McCurry: 5.5 (Was unlucky today, just one of them days, kicked 2 important frees and will be much sharper the next day im sure)
- Penrose: 4 (Red card was foolish of an experienced player, made several fouls. But I really value the job hes done for the team this year. Was much better against Meath)
-O'Neill: 5.5 Anonymous to he came out to centre forward. Hit some lovely balls in there but if he lights up Tyrone could take anyone left in this championship.

Subs: Ronan O'Neill did very well, McNabb and Cassidy solid, Kane had a good cameo, hope McNeice isn't out for too long, looked serious enough)

Overall much to be happy with but there's certainly another gear in this team and if everyone clicks we'll give anybody a game. P.S. Brolly is turning into a parody of himself.

red hander

Quote from: timmyot501 on August 03, 2013, 11:29:35 PM
As a monaghan fan colm kavanagh should have been cautioned on numerous occasions in the second half for stopping our keeper on the quick kick out. Umpires linesmen and ref all just stood and watched. Sean is not the first to do a cynical tackle on anyone but he is the man doing it every feckin week and as good a player as he is its no wonder so many can't stand him.
[/quote

No1 Grow up, Monaghan  are one of the most cynical teams in Ireland and always have been, and for that I have no problem, I was in Clones in 1988 and they haven't changed since. No2 McGeeney was excellent last night, let's get him on more.

BTW, it's Cavanagh, that's Cavanagh

screenexile

You Tyrone boys are hilarious really!!!

Cavanagh has long been touted as a cheat:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/GAA%3A+PETER+THE+EIGHT+CRUSHES+DERRY%3B+Canavan's+shooting+boots+fire...-a0102266464

That's 10 years ago! People talk about "I wish our player had of done it!" f**k off ! People from Tyrone and beyond espouse how great our Association is ... Until they get to dive or commit a cynical foul! f**k OFF! Who wants to play a game where you're rewarded by diving or pulling a man down who's got the better of you ....

A coward would be my answer to that and Sean Cavanagh has been a pretty good one since he's played for Tyrone! Let's hope they don't get Cavan this year and he doesn't start crying again!!!

Gabriel_Hurl

Me and Padraig were laughing about that match today on FB Loopy

and are you still crying about that - you bring it up every year without fail - it's laughable now  ;D

anglocelt39

Quote from: deiseach on August 04, 2013, 12:07:40 AM
Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2013, 12:00:22 AM
There is no such foul as a cynical foul in the rule book nor is their a professional foul. So I'd love to know on what grounds he gets a red card or are you saying refs should just apply whatever punishment they feel like?

We've seen a few instances in hurling recently where people believed the ref should ignore the rule book and use common sense instead. Maybe that's what should be used here ;)

Was going to respond but Deiseach did it for me, cheers
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Bingo

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 04, 2013, 12:05:20 AM
The problem is, you cant tell anymore when hes dragged to the ground and whens hes dived

This, Hughes yellow card in first half was laughable.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DickyRock on August 03, 2013, 07:37:56 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 07:37:05 PM
That clear pick up off the ground by Michael Shields is as cynical a prevention of a goal as Sean Cavanaghs tackle in the first game. The end result s the same, give away a blatant free to prevent a goal. How the ref missed it is beyond me though

Was writing the same benny & u beat me too it
Exactly what I thought at the time as well. Shields new what he was at. If he hadn't have done it a dublin player would have certainly poked it to the net, same thought process as cavanagh. "I know it's a foul, but if I don't its a goal"

By the way in the same position I would have done the same as both players.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on August 04, 2013, 08:36:02 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 04, 2013, 12:05:20 AM
The problem is, you cant tell anymore when hes dragged to the ground and whens hes dived

This, Hughes yellow card in first half was laughable.
That would be my issue with the black card.
The Hughes tackle clearly wasn't foul, but when the referee thought it was , under the new rules there is every chance he could have deemed it as cynical and shown him a black card.
Leaving Monaghan without on of their best players for most of the game.
God help us when it comes to club level and referees and left to make those sort of calls.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maguire01

Well it wasn't to be. A good showing, but just not enough. The game was in the mix with 5 minutes to go, we just couldn't push on. As with every game, a lot of ifs, buts and maybes (Gollogly's goal chance being a prime example).

A lot of talk about Cavanagh pulling McManus down, but in my opinion, the key point was Darren Hughes getting a yellow card in the first half for a text-book dispossession of Cavanagh. Not only did Tyrone get a point, but Hughes was left sitting on a yellow and had to watch himself for the rest of the game.

Some of the players just didn't quite reach the performances of the Ulster Final, although again I think Wylie is worth a mention - once again kept a star full forward totally ineffective and even got himself up the field towards the end - one of our most consistent players in the 4 games.