Meath vs. Tyrone

Started by Jinxy, July 20, 2013, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 29, 2013, 01:01:12 PM
Peter Harte comes in for a lot of criticism, but watching  him the other day it was obvious that he is one of the few sources of ball into SON that we have.  Harte hit a few kick passes into forwards from forty/50 yards out, and thats what more of our defenders need to do when given the chance.  The other thing I thought was obvious was the ease at which Meath players were able to collect short kick-outs.  I thought it was a given in the modern game that all forwards are tuned in for thr short kick-out as soon as the ball goes wide or for a score.  Its the easist way for a team to gain possession, they can take the kick-out and dander up the field and as we know its very difficult to get the ball back.  Surely all our forwards should be stuck to their markers like glue for the kick-outs, little things like this make a huge difference.  I was also surprised at the speed and power displayed by Cassidy when bursting through the Meath defence, hopefully see a lot more of that this week.  Still think our attack is too blunt, why can;t we have a corner forward on the pitch who gets the ball and tries to skin his man.  We are creating very few goals chances and have scored a paltry amount of goals in recent years.

Part of the plan when withdrawing forwards is that you basically concede possession deep inside your own half, so Tyrone were happy enough to let maybe the Meath corner back get a short kick out, he may not be the most creative so increases the opportunity of turning the ball over. A player can't do a huge pile of damage on his own 14 yard line and gives others time to filter back.

On a similar note, does anyone know if the ref was correct to make Conor Gormley line up beside his man? I didn't know that each team had to be in their positions before the throw in??
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 29, 2013, 04:22:16 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 29, 2013, 01:01:12 PM
Peter Harte comes in for a lot of criticism, but watching  him the other day it was obvious that he is one of the few sources of ball into SON that we have.  Harte hit a few kick passes into forwards from forty/50 yards out, and thats what more of our defenders need to do when given the chance.  The other thing I thought was obvious was the ease at which Meath players were able to collect short kick-outs.  I thought it was a given in the modern game that all forwards are tuned in for thr short kick-out as soon as the ball goes wide or for a score.  Its the easist way for a team to gain possession, they can take the kick-out and dander up the field and as we know its very difficult to get the ball back.  Surely all our forwards should be stuck to their markers like glue for the kick-outs, little things like this make a huge difference.  I was also surprised at the speed and power displayed by Cassidy when bursting through the Meath defence, hopefully see a lot more of that this week.  Still think our attack is too blunt, why can;t we have a corner forward on the pitch who gets the ball and tries to skin his man.  We are creating very few goals chances and have scored a paltry amount of goals in recent years.

Part of the plan when withdrawing forwards is that you basically concede possession deep inside your own half, so Tyrone were happy enough to let maybe the Meath corner back get a short kick out, he may not be the most creative so increases the opportunity of turning the ball over. A player can't do a huge pile of damage on his own 14 yard line and gives others time to filter back.

On a similar note, does anyone know if the ref was correct to make Conor Gormley line up beside his man? I didn't know that each team had to be in their positions before the throw in??

Aye he was right. One of those silly GAA rules.

Fuzzman

Mattie Donnelly got a point (could have been a goal) from intercepting a short kick out.
However, in the second half Meath took a short kickout and they moved it at pace up the field and it was over the bar without a Tyrone man getting a hand on it.

I've bad memories of big Pascal getting caught out v Cork back in 2009.
I heard that Justy has a bad calf injury and will probably be out the rest of the year. Anyone else hear this?
What about McNabb? Any more progress?

God14

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 29, 2013, 04:40:44 PM

I heard that Justy has a bad calf injury and will probably be out the rest of the year. Anyone else hear this?

If true that's very disappointing. The lads tortured with injury.

TF15

Was in Croke Park and re-watched the game and I left Croke Park thinking were probably a forward short of being a top side. I think Mickey has done a fantastic job during this transition period in Tyrone keeping us at a high level considering the turn over in players. I think the team currently is about as good as we can line out.

Although it would be fantastic for Cassidy to be fit for 70 I don't think he has that in the locker currently. Colm, although he comes in for some criticism does the part of the game that people don't acknowledge better than Cassidy, the dirty work. Cassidy is great going forward but not the best tracker, I think Mickey is using him very well.

The thing that strikes me on the criticism of C.Cav, P.Harte, Penrose etc currently is a lot of the people doing it have a motive behind it. They either think players of their clubs should be starting or feel there is bias in the set up towards these players. Honestly I don't buy that for a second. Peter hasn't been playing at his very best (which is as good a player in Ireland) but his ability to link the play and distribution into the forward line is the best in our team for me and I felt bar the couple of silly errors and a slight lack of confidence in shooting areas he played well. We will need him to hit top form if we are to proceed any further in this years championship. On Penrose I felt he was very good on Saturday, his finishing hasn't been great but the turnovers he won were key and the role he is playing is one that doesn't lend itself to many headlines. He's doing a job for the team and putting the game plan before himself.

McCurry and S.Cav were superb! Hoping when Ronan O'Neill gets 100% sharp he will kick on like McCurry next year, as he is well capable of it.

Hoping things kick up a level in the QF as the team is only playing at about 70% of their capability currently.

Fuzzman

I was wondering what is the rule about the foot block.
Does it have to be intentional or if a player comes across and sticks his leg out but seems to be trying to use his hands to block but the ball hits his leg, is it a foot block?

I watched this match again on tv this week and in my biased eyes  there was two foot blocks.
One was when Colm Cavanagh shot for goal and the keeper came out on top of him and blocked his shot with his foot. Is this allowed because its the keeper?

The second one was when Sean Cavanagh was running through and the Meath CB comes across to block. He puts his hands out but Sean hits it low and it hits yer man on the shin I think. It did happen very fast and was hard to see so I can see how the ref might have missed it.

I just wondered what is the actual rule.

omagh_gael

Zulu

The key to the legality of the foot block is whether it is dangerous to the kicker. So if you are a meter away from the kicker and they kick the ball, you put out your foot to block the kicked ball then that is fine. If however, you put your boot/leg in on the player as they kick, that is a free even if you only make contact with the ball.

As can be seen from Hardy's post quoting the rule that isn't what is really said but that is my understanding of the interpretation of the rule. In saying that you will of course see every kind of interpretation if you go to enough games. In the past couple of years I remember a foot block been given in a minor All Ireland semi final that was a million miles from a foot block. I'm sure it was a late penalty and it could have been Roscommon and Tyrone though I'm not sure.

Fuzzman

So if a keeper comes out to a player and in his attempt to make a save he ends up blocking the ball AND foot of the attacker then its a penalty?
Whereas if he stays back a bit and saves the ball with his foot then that is OK.
Is that right?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 31, 2013, 05:46:32 PM
So if a keeper comes out to a player and in his attempt to make a safe he ends up blocking the ball AND foot of the attacker then its a penalty?
Whereas if he stays back a bit and saves the ball with his foot then that is OK.
Is that right?
yep Zulu is right - if the defender uses the foot and it is close enough for the attacker to hit it, then it is a free - doesnt matter if it is an outfield player or a goalkeeper.

thought the first one was a def foot block, but the block on sean cavanaghs shot was with the defenders body/legs/erse so wasnt a free - imo.

Fuzzman

Seems harsh on the keeper if he's quick off his line and manages to block the shot with his leg/foot but its deemed a foot block. Saying that I don't think I've actually ever seen it given in that circumstances.

Brolly was saying he didn't know the rule either.
He really seems to have a bee in his bonnet about Tyrone making it to the quarters this year.
He was going way OTT with the whole dragging men down stuff at the end. I noticed in the Derry v Cavan game the Derry lads were also at it before it went to extra time.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2013, 10:36:04 AM
Seems harsh on the keeper if he's quick off his line and manages to block the shot with his leg/foot but its deemed a foot block. Saying that I don't think I've actually ever seen it given in that circumstances.

Brolly was saying he didn't know the rule either.
He really seems to have a bee in his bonnet about Tyrone making it to the quarters this year.
He was going way OTT with the whole dragging men down stuff at the end. I noticed in the Derry v Cavan game the Derry lads were also at it before it went to extra time.
I'm trying to rem ref training (and not sure where I put my rule book) but I think the rule is the same for a gk in the square as well as outside it.
Dangerous play is dangerous play and I am all for this rule (as a former forward).
Dont see it given too often though - and it happens on the field reguarly enough.

IMO brolly was trying to appear 'independent' as he is all too often overly pro tyrone/donegal in the studio discussions.
he obv wanted to have a pop at tyrone for cynical fouling so he can appear to be neutral.
a lot of people were taken in by this.
if joe wanted to have a go at cynical fouling, he could have taken every team to task last weekend. meath were v guilty of the same stuff, tyrone were doing it during the game too , not just the last 10 mins.

i only wish Derry had the football nous to be cynical - we might have stopped that last equalising point against us v Cavan a few weeks ago.

yes cynical fouling is against the rules.
IT has always been there though. you are not always taught it, sometimes you know to do it.
I recall an intermediate game in late 80's as a teenager where I fouled the corner back in the corner ,specifically to stop him coming out with the ball and give the rest of the team a chance to get back in position. In those days I'd have had to knock him out to get a yellow card. Although the smell of cow sh**e off him almost knocked me out (seriously).

Fuzzman

Good man Lynchboy for yer as ever balanced replied

I just read the Gaelic Life there at lunch time and Brolly seems to be continuing his crusade against us and our cynicism. He really goes to town with it and doesn't seem to talk much about other counties doing it.

It looks like he needed a new project to talk about and I suspect he'll harp on about this now for the rest of the championship.
Don't get me wrong Joe I'm not defending it and it does look bad but I think you seemed to really attack Tyrone for this as if Meath or nobody has been doing this all season.
Ye talked about how sad it was that great players like Cavanagh & S.O'Neill resorting to these tactics.

lynchbhoy

Joe loves being able to stir the sihte and have a pop at his (actual) tyronie cousins into the bargain - plus still get paid for it.

he went a bit ott on the mayo cynicism last year- ok he may have been correct , bit other teams were doing it (maybe not to the same degree) but ths has gone on for years and only croke park and referees can resolve this on the field of play.

the black book thing might be some way towards this next season, but imo there should be a couple of officials on the line spotting this and not left up to the ref.
they should be charged wth spotting cynical or off the ball fouls or fights and bring that to the refs attention and he will impose whatever sanction then.

teams wouldnt be long cleaning up their act then.