Dermot Earley may be forced to retire

Started by Lar Naparka, April 03, 2010, 12:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

It was reported in the Star yesterday that Dermot Earley, the Chief of Staff of the Irish army may be forced to retire on health grounds. Dermot, who was only promoted to this post within the last couple of years, has been unable to work since Christmas and it appears unlikely that he will be able to return to work.
Readers here may recall that Dermot, from Roascommon, was highly placed in the list of football's top 100 players that was presented by Martin Breheny in the Indo some months ago.
He is the holder of five Connacht Senior medals, two All Star Awards, one National League medal (1979), one U21 All Ireland Medal (1966), an All Ireland runners-up Medal (1980) and two Railway Cup Medals.
He was a few years my senior at St Nath'y College, Ballaghadereen and even back then he stood out from the crowd as a brilliant footballer and a popular and well-respected individual.
I am shocked and saddened to hear of his illness and can only wish him the very best.
I doubt if there is anyone anywhere who would feel otherwise; as a sportsman and a gentleman he has been extra special.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

Saw this myself on RTE's website.Very sorry to hear this. Brings back memories of some stirring All Ireland semi final tussles between Armagh and Roscommon in 1977 and 1980, in which he had a pivotal role. One of the best players never to win an AI medal, and a great servant to our Country outside the sporting arena as well

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: T Fearon on April 03, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
Saw this myself on RTE's website.Very sorry to hear this. Brings back memories of some stirring All Ireland semi final tussles between Armagh and Roscommon in 1977 and 1980, in which he had a pivotal role. One of the best players never to win an AI medal, and a great servant to our Country outside the sporting arena as well

+1
Always remember holding my breath when he had a 50 with more or less last kick of the game in the drawn game in 77.
I wish him well.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Jinxy

Very sad news.
I wish him and his family all the best.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magickingdom

its gas ive always followed his career with interest because i was such a fan of him as a footballer. i hope he recovers and does well in the future

Hardy

That's bad news. He's a gentleman as well as a football legend.

fearbrags

A  hero of my  childhood 70s  and  80s  a  great  example to  everyone  both  as a sports man  and  a person . 
As  a  Rossie  I  can not  think  of  any  one  better .  Only  last  week  I was  watching    a  dvd  from  the  last  time  Ros  played new york  and  he  was  given  an  award  and  made  a  great speech . I  hope and  pray that  he  recovers  and  if  anyone  can  he can 
He once  said'''
                   when i pulled on the roscommon jersey
                          i always thought
                    i could run faster
                    jump higher
                       kick further
                       and play better than my opponents"

Fear ón Srath Bán

There aren't too many like Dermot who can garner universal acclaim, regardless of the county of the acclaimer.

Get well soon Dermot.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

RedandGreenSniper

It's awful news and the prognosis isn't good. A great man.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Donnellys Hollow

Sadly heard this news a few weeks back.

Get well soon Dermot snr. He might be a Rossie but he has made a tremendous contribution to both the Sash and Kildare GAA. Three of his children, Dermot, David and Noelle have have represented the county with distinction. Dermot snr also played a big role in developing the '98 and '00 Kildare teams. He introduced a lot of those players while manager in '95 and '96.

Hope to see him back on the terraces in Newbridge soon.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mjg

Ya we new this in ross 6 months ago an its worse than originally thought.Its so sad because every gaa man especially a connacht man knows how special he was to our game . An as a ballaghaderreen man ill never forget ye mayo men after beating us in steand of ye going to collect the nestert cup ye thought it was approaite to carry Dermot Early off the rfield first becuse it was his ,ast game. Truly ye are great sportsmen an tonight even ye are U 21 champions ive great respect for ye guys an wish ye the best  after us of course

JUst retired

Sad to learn of this bad news. He is a gentleman and sportsman of the highest order, I`ve met him a few times in my GAA career. I wish him and his family all the best in thr future.

5 Sams

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 03, 2010, 10:07:37 PM
It's awful news and the prognosis isn't good. A great man.

Heard the same myself.....sad news.

I was always a big admirer of him. Hope he gets well soon.

That team which also contained other great players like Pat Lindsay and Harry Keegan were very unlucky to have met the great Kerry team a couple of times during that period.
The Aristocrat Years

Rossfan

Heard this myself some months ago .
Terrible news indeed.
My thoughts are with his family at this trying time.
So many memories but the rhubarbs lads carrying him off the pitch in 85 is one great one.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

My Dad being from that era always spoke highly of Dermot as has any Roscommon man, who'd nearly bless themselves when his name was mentioned. Wish him and his family all the best and a full recovery.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016