Suicide

Started by JimStynes, June 28, 2012, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Just heard one of the fellas from our local area committed suicide last night. He hanged himself.

He has a wee baby only 8 months old and another one on the way.

I was out with him on Sunday and he was in great form but I think he went on the rip since then. He must have been drinking to get away from whatever problems he thought he had. Feel really sorry for his family and his wife. I dont understand what was going through his head that he needed to do it, just wish he could have said something to some of us and maybe it could have been prevented. You would have to be feeling very low to do that sort of thing.

Terrible news.

fitzroyalty

I know the feeling and you and everyone close to him will spend the rest of their lives wondering why.

Milltown Row2

Terrible stuff, and most times very there are never any indications of what's about to happen.

Leaves people always wondering if they could have done something or why didn't they say something. It's a void that sometimes is never filled.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

There must be something that can be done to raise awareness. I'd say everyone on this board knows somebody who has committed suicide. It's happening far too often in Ireland.  Feel so sorry for Kevin's family and wife. Can't get my head around it at all.

screenexile

We've been crippled with them in my area. There seems to be one every couple of years it's just awful!

There are a few have been running these "Mental Health Awareness" nights and workshops and things for people to go to and talk about it, ways of recognising people in trouble etc.

They're a great idea because there is not enough education out there about it. There are still those that blame people for taking the easy way out when they don't understand that they have a disease and to them they see no way of curing it!

Milltown Row2

http://www.pipsprogrammes.com/

A friend of mine has been running this programme since his son took his own life.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Sorry to hear about the lost of your Jim, God only knows what was going through his mind. I've known a few people in the past that saw no other way out and taken their own lives. My heart goes out to his family and all his friends. Wherever he is now, I hope he's at peace. RIP.
Testing Accessibility

FL/MAYO

Sorry to hear about this Jim, for what its worth he probably had his mind made up about doing this before you met him on Sunday so there would have been little that you could have done. I remember reading about suicide in men while in college, men are 4 times more likely to follow through on a suicide attempt. Prior to the suicide attempt many will be in great spirits probably due to the fact that the decision has been made and their troubles will soon be a thing of the past.

The Iceman

It's an awful handling. There is far too much of it in Ireland. Families need to talk more, open up more. Far too many times things are bottled up and only spoken about when we're all drunk. I know of one young married couple torn apart this month by suicide. More awareness, more education and just reaching out to people and talking with them, getting past the superficial scratch the surface bullshit of the weather, work, gossip and football....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 28, 2012, 02:28:23 PM
Sorry to hear about this Jim, for what its worth he probably had his mind made up about doing this before you met him on Sunday so there would have been little that you could have done. I remember reading about suicide in men while in college, men are 4 times more likely to follow through on a suicide attempt. Prior to the suicide attempt many will be in great spirits probably due to the fact that the decision has been made and their troubles will soon be a thing of the past.

So true this, my extended family was touched by this recently and all commented on how improved his mood was in the weeks preceding due to him having accepted his fate. The amount of people who have relayed similar experiences in their circles since they heard our bad news is unbelievable. I always wondered who were all the people who were committing suicide in a greater number than were dying on our roads, turns out I know their families and friends. I put this in the Pieta House thread yesterday but worth linking again for those who might not have seen it, fair play Billy, took some guts to publish that.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/billy-keane-i-let-good-people-down-i-strung-up-a-flex-and-the-plan-was-to-jump-off-the-chair-into-oblivion-3150663.html
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

the Deel Rover

Sorry to hear about that news Jim . Like the rest of the lads said suicide is just becoming so Common. There have been at least 15 suicides that i would know of in the North Mayo area the past 18 months,young,old,male and female so so sad.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

seafoid

Women tend to look for help with problems and to support each other better than men do.

EG

http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=259117

There isn't enough awareness of suicide in general, that the feelings are a phase of depression and that the illness can be treated and that with treatment the feelings pass.

It is so sad to see so many people lost to this illness. 

trileacman

I'm not aware of the statistics and I don't have proof to back this up but I consider the misuse of alcohol, especially among young men to be a strong contributing factor to the suicide rate. You can talk about getting people to "talk about things" and "recognizing signs" but if we really want to tackle suicide at its roots then our attitude to drink has to change. Attitudes that include the idea that people being wasted is funny especially if it's someone you know and that alcohol is almost a mandatory part of any celebration.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

haranguerer

Quote from: trileacman on June 28, 2012, 09:02:33 PM
I'm not aware of the statistics and I don't have proof to back this up but I consider the misuse of alcohol, especially among young men to be a strong contributing factor to the suicide rate. You can talk about getting people to "talk about things" and "recognizing signs" but if we really want to tackle suicide at its roots then our attitude to drink has to change. Attitudes that include the idea that people being wasted is funny especially if it's someone you know and that alcohol is almost a mandatory part of any celebration.

Alcohol abuse is much more likely to be a symptom than a cause, imo

ONeill

It's an area I've always wanted to get involved in.

A gaaboard initiative could work here. A 5-a-side outdoor soccer day for both sexes to raise money for the likes of PIPs or other suicide awareness groups.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.