Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: Minder on January 20, 2018, 07:21:20 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 20, 2018, 06:32:45 PM
Burnley don't lose many at Turf Moor so a good result. 5 clean sheets in row.  Jones playing superbly so inevitable he'll get injured soon.

That's their 5th defeat at home this season

Insightful.  And your point is?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 20, 2018, 10:43:39 PM
Straight swap deal now by the sounds of it.

Manchester United midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan has agreed to join Arsenal, with Alexis Sanchez set to move in the opposite direction in a straight swap.

Armenia international Mkhitaryan, 28, will have a medical on Sunday and Monday after the paperwork for his transfer was completed on Saturday.

The length of his contract at Arsenal, and his salary, is undisclosed.

Thanks Arsenal. Good business all round.

Minder

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 20, 2018, 10:52:58 PM
Burnley don't lose many at Turf Moor so a good result. 5 clean sheets in row.  Jones playing superbly so inevitable he'll get injured soon.

My point is you posted that they don't lose many at home, well they have lost quite a few.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

Oh dear god

Over the Bar

Quote from: Minder on January 20, 2018, 11:33:50 PM

My point is you posted that they don't lose many at home, well they have lost quite a few.

Burnley were promoted the season before last.  Their home record is up there with anyone outside of the top 6.

magpie seanie

Good result. Needed that win. A scrappy performance. Hopefully Mourinho has a plan to get the best out of all these attacking players when Sanchez arrives. Need to beat Spurs to keep the momentum up.

Maroon Manc

A very frustrating second half, in that last 25 minutes United got at Burnleys defence so many times but couldn't get the 2nd. United were far too lackluster in front of goal, would like to think Sanchez will change that.

Smalling again is not good enough, time and time again especially in that first half his distribution was pathetic, gave the ball away needlessly 5 or 6 times in the first half through pure panic. Jones though was very good, just wish he can stay fit as under Mourinho he's matured into one of the best centre half's in the league when fit.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2018, 10:12:42 AM
A very frustrating second half, in that last 25 minutes United got at Burnleys defence so many times but couldn't get the 2nd. United were far too lackluster in front of goal, would like to think Sanchez will change that.

Smalling again is not good enough, time and time again especially in that first half his distribution was pathetic, gave the ball away needlessly 5 or 6 times in the first half through pure panic. Jones though was very good, just wish he can stay fit as under Mourinho he's matured into one of the best centre half's in the league when fit.

The problem is that they cant play together as neither is good enough on the ball, Jones is an all out defender but if he had a Rio or similar type player with him it would bring him on even more.

Smalling just seems to swtich off, when he is on it he is as good as defender as there is but there is always that slip up or mistake in him.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on January 22, 2018, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2018, 10:12:42 AM

The problem is that they cant play together as neither is good enough on the ball, Jones is an all out defender but if he had a Rio or similar type player with him it would bring him on even more.

Smalling just seems to swtich off, when he is on it he is as good as defender as there is but there is always that slip up or mistake in him.

Jones has improved on the ball, the only time he gave it away on Saturday was when he had no option to go long; Smalling though just hasn't improved at all, would much rather Rojo start. He makes more mistakes defensively than Jones too, look at that chance Diouf had near the end of the Stoke game, it all came from poor defending from Smalling. I'd like to see another centre half come in and get rid of Smalling as United would get good money for him but just don't see it happening this summer.

HiMucker

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 20, 2018, 11:55:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 20, 2018, 11:33:50 PM

Burnley were promoted the season before last.  Their home record is up there with anyone outside of the top 6.
So should you not of said, "expected result, Burnley loss quite a lot at home to the top six"? Its ok to admit if your wrong :)

magpie seanie

I go along with the assessment of Smalling and Jones. I always felt Smalling was a very good defender and really quick but his limitations will the ball at his feet are really becoming more and more obvious. I think this has messed up his confidence. He'll probably leave and be great for someone else.....probably Arsenal. Jones is one I thought had a massive future but injuries have frustrated his career. He can play a bit too and with a run of fitness there are few much better than him. Still don't fully trust Rojo....think he's too fond of playing the man rather than the ball which can be a dangerous approach. Bailly being out is a big loss and Lindelof looks like just a guy.

GJL

Sanchez deal officially confirmed. Great bit of business that will improve the team immensely.

Maroon Manc

Slowly but surely United are getting there, if you'd have told me inside 18 months Mourinho would have managed to bring Matic, Pogba, Lukaku & Sanchez to United I wouldn't have believed you. I hope Sanchez can be a success coming from right side of the attach, would solve a huge problem.

In terms of quality United's squad is probably on a par with City although their squad has better balance.

Hound

Was 7 jersey vacant? Who was the last holder of it?

ballinaman

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2018, 04:52:27 PM
Was 7 jersey vacant? Who was the last holder of it?
Mempiss