The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Liverpool FC now reaping rewards of Benitez's real legacy

by Richard Buxton, Published Tue 15 Feb 2011 18:25, Last updated: 2011-02-15

It is already being talked about as the latest turning point in Liverpool's history.

For Kenny Dalglish and Frank McParland, witnessing the under-18's emphatic 9-0 win over Southend was an encouraging sign that their labour of love was beginning to bear fruit.

But the man truly responsible for this renaissance was not in attendance at Anfield.

From the comfort of his Wirral home, Rafael Benitez will no doubt have kept tabs on last night's events, possibly sporting his signature grin, after laying the foundations for what is already shaping up to be an incredibly bright young future for the club.

His predecessor, Gérard Houllier, had often overlooked the Academy since its 1998 opening on account of his belief, on the back of their World Cup triumph that summer, that France would lead the way in European football.

But most of the 'French gems' he touted as the next generation's answer to Michel Platini and Zinedine Zidane are now languishing back in Ligue 1 and of the £40million needlessly wasted on these 'talents', only two have remained in the Premier League.

The cost of Houllier's native obsession was far greater than the needless price tags he paid for the likes of El-Hadji Diouf and Bernard Diomede, as the Academy production line which had produced Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen dried up.

Liverpool's ability to build successful teams had long been established on a strong local nucleus, but the current Aston Villa manager's attempt to use Clairefontaine's alumni as a substitute for Kirkby's developing pupils delivered incredibly underwhelming results.

However, during a difficult final season as Reds manager, Benitez not only repaired the fractured relationship between Anfield and Kirkby, but strengthened it beyond expectation.

Although he had made a lot of the same mistakes as Houllier, unlike his predecessor, he learned from the error of his ways and after years of fighting battles in the boardroom, he was finally allowed to restructure the system following Rick Parry's departure.

Dalglish's return was long overdue, after almost two decades of being constantly overlooked by the club, and his presence as the key figurehead of operations was an encouraging signal of intent as was McParland's re-appointment following his Bolton sabbatical.

But it was the capture of José Segura and Rodolfo Borrell, both key figures in overseeing the development of Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi during their time at Barcelona's La Masia academy, which proved to be the masterstroke that kick-started Kirkby's revolution.

All but two of the 14 players who featured last night rose through the ranks during Benitez's tenure including man-of-the-match Raheem Sterling who, having turned down Manchester United and Arsenal to join the Reds, hit five of those nine goals with steadfast confidence.

It was also Benitez, beginning his short-lived spell at Inter Milan, that convinced Spanish wonder kid Suso last summer to snub Real Madrid's overtures to join Liverpool.

Even as the goals continued to flow, Borrell's meticulousness as he oversaw proceedings from the touchline was incredibly Benitez-esque, as is his continued pursuit of perfection from a side that has netted 52 goals in 17 games this season.

But eight months on from his acrimonious departure, Liverpool are now starting to reap the rewards of the true Benitez legacy.

supersub

Coady, flannagan, Robinson, Ince, Pacheco and Sterling all in squad, although it is 23 man panel so don't know how many will actually make the 18 on thurs!

brokencrossbar1

A real statement of future intent from kenny. Hopefully Pacheco gets game time but I would hold the rest. Just being part of the travelling squad is some achievement!

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 16, 2011, 11:43:56 AM
A real statement of future intent from kenny. Hopefully Pacheco gets game time but I would hold the rest. Just being part of the travelling squad is some achievement!

I'd say its all about experience for them but we are light in Centre midfield - Gerard, Shelvey, Spearing and Poulsen all out. Nearly puts the team on a more offensive footing straight away. Aurelio prob ahve to fit in there. Maybe a place on bench for Coady?

Be nice to nick an away goal or two but we short up front and not much invention, although nice to see Cole back.

Its actually Kennys first European tie as Liverpool manager.

brokencrossbar1

I think they should win as Sparta have lost their 2 main players during january. A clean sheet is most important. The return leg will be something else, kenny's first european night at anfield as manager!

GalwayBayBoy

Raheem Sterling at 16 would become Liverpool's youngest ever player if he plays any part tomorrow. Not that you would expect him to.

Minus15

Possible team to pick from the travelling squad:

Reina

Kelly/ Johnson  Carragher  Skrtel  Aurelio / Johnson

Kuyt / Maxi   Lucas  Meireles   Maxi / Aurelio

Kuyt / Pacheco

Ngog

Although I have a feeling that one of the kids could start tomorrow night! Probably be a surprise somewhere in the team

Joxer

See Hicks has won rights to seek damages over sale of Club

angermanagement

Supposedly the team to start tonight

Reina
   kelly Carra Skrtel Jono
Maxi Ming Lucas Fabio
            Kuyt
            Ngog

Bingo

Quote from: angermanagement on February 17, 2011, 12:39:50 PM

Reina
   kelly Carra Skrtel Jono
Maxi Ming Lucas Fabio
            Kuyt
            Ngog

I'd have guessed that team with whats available.

Did you hear that Prague where playing in recent friendlies (they on midseason break) and they put their players in different numbered jereys so that LFC scouts would be confused!

angermanagement

Quote from: Bingo on February 17, 2011, 02:03:04 PM
Quote from: angermanagement on February 17, 2011, 12:39:50 PM

Reina
   kelly Carra Skrtel Jono
Maxi Ming Lucas Fabio
            Kuyt
            Ngog

I'd have guessed that team with whats available.

Did you hear that Prague where playing in recent friendlies (they on midseason break) and they put their players in different numbered jereys so that LFC scouts would be confused!

It would seem a lot of teams have done that to Liverpool  scouts over the last few years with some of the crap they've bought .  ;)

A 2-0 win would be nice to give some of the youngsters a chance in the return leg at Anfield.

Denn Forever

Wrong Prague but it put me in mind of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na12OyJEgJ8

All I want for Christmas........
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 17, 2011, 03:51:15 PM
Has anyone that applied for tickets for the Europa League Final heard anything back yet?
The rest of the tickets are going on sale on the 21st of this month.

I know two lads that applied and have been notified as successful. I assume the further sale is restricted to people outside ROI. Might get someone to try over the border or in UK for me.

I got two for last years final in Hamburg but didn't hear anything this time.

Joxer

Bingo

Its my understanding that you can't now apply with an ROI address. Not sure what they will class our brothers in NI as.

Be as well to get onto relatives/friends/enemies in the UK to apply on your behalf, I'm going to try that.