The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2017, 11:11:35 AM
Quote from: Armamike on October 16, 2017, 10:50:03 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2017, 09:00:00 AM
Are you delusional? Utd +19 goals Liverpool -1 he will always be defensive against the big teams... it's about trying nick a goal on the break, Liverpool at home against Utd should be winning those games, they may not get up for playing Watford but no excuses v Utd

Forwards playing as wing backs the whole game? Give me a break ffs.  You're the one who's delusional if you think this is the way to set a team up with Manu's resources.  It's not surprising of course.  Typical Mourinho tactic away from home against the big sides.  It is a poor outlook on football though and don't imagine it would sit that well with some at OT.

So teams have set up against Liverpool all season and last season and Klopp still hasn't been able to work it out?  Whether that point gained or 2 points lost becomes important at the end of the season I'd judge him on that... Utd missing players going into a big game, play defensively, Shocker

This isn't about Liverpool, it's about Mourinho's vision of the game. It's an old chestnut at this stage - everyone knows what he's about.  A pragmatist first and foremost.  No problem with him playing a counter attacking game against Liverpool - why give the likes of Salah space?  That's the way to beat Liverpool anyway.  But the fact it was so conservative for the whole 90 mins is the issue.  Second half he could have encouraged the likes of Martial to get into the box more.  As someone else said here, the likes of Burnley have had more of a  go at Anfield.  The injuries thing is a red herring.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Armamike on October 16, 2017, 12:25:36 PM
Are you delusional? Utd +19 goals Liverpool -1 he will always be defensive against the big teams... it's about trying nick a goal on the break, Liverpool at home against Utd should be winning those games, they may not get up for playing Watford but no excuses v Utd

Forwards playing as wing backs the whole game? Give me a break ffs.  You're the one who's delusional if you think this is the way to set a team up with Manu's resources.  It's not surprising of course.  Typical Mourinho tactic away from home against the big sides.  It is a poor outlook on football though and don't imagine it would sit that well with some at OT.

So teams have set up against Liverpool all season and last season and Klopp still hasn't been able to work it out?  Whether that point gained or 2 points lost becomes important at the end of the season I'd judge him on that... Utd missing players going into a big game, play defensively, Shocker

This isn't about Liverpool, it's about Mourinho's vision of the game. It's an old chestnut at this stage - everyone knows what he's about.  A pragmatist first and foremost.  No problem with him playing a counter attacking game against Liverpool - why give the likes of Salah space?  That's the way to beat Liverpool anyway.  But the fact it was so conservative for the whole 90 mins is the issue.  Second half he could have encouraged the likes of Martial to get into the box more.  As someone else said here, the likes of Burnley have had more of a  go at Anfield.  The injuries thing is a red herring.

You say this as if it's a poor quality for a football manager to have??

AZOffaly

To be honest there's a lot I don't like about Mourinho, but I don't see much wrong with setting up the way he does when needs be. They've scored a lot of goals against weaker teams, and they'll try keep it tight against the bigger teams. I wouldn't mind being able to do that. And if it delivers trophies, what's the issue?

Gabriel_Hurl

That's no away wins against the Top 6 for Mourinho since 2014, isn't it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 16, 2017, 02:05:22 PM
That's no away wins against the Top 6 for Mourinho since 2014, isn't it?

But what has he won in that time compared to other clubs/managers? Stylish play, attacking all the time is great, Fergies attitude at the start was very much this but last couple seasons he kept it boring tight and still won..

Pick what you want, sitting at the top table with league titles or settle for a flair team with none!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2017, 01:00:52 PM
To be honest there's a lot I don't like about Mourinho, but I don't see much wrong with setting up the way he does when needs be. They've scored a lot of goals against weaker teams, and they'll try keep it tight against the bigger teams. I wouldn't mind being able to do that. And if it delivers trophies, what's the issue?

Would you mind if you were a United supporter?

To go to Anfield against a Liverpool team struggling for goals along with a very mistake-prone and often disorganized defence? A Liverpool team who have, despite loads of chances and possessional dominance, failed to beat the likes of Burnley and Newcastle and a very poor Spartak Moscow?

Golden opportunity missed there for United to make a statement.

Even if they'd sat back most of the time, they could still have tried five or ten minutes here and there committing people forward.

I'm not complaining as a Liverpool fan. First issue playing United is not to lose. Everything else after that is bonus territory, especially at the moment. But, by comparison, I would have been very pissed off if Liverpool had gone to Old Trafford under Rodgers in the 13/14 season and played for a scoreless draw or a nicked win instead of going for the throat like they did in that game when they knew United were struggling.

I'm not saying Liverpool are anywhere near as poor as Moyes' United were then, but they clearly have issues right now and should have been worth at least a partial punt on Mourinho's part.

Armamike

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 16, 2017, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 16, 2017, 12:25:36 PM

You say this as if it's a poor quality for a football manager to have??

Not at all.  I was a big fan of Benitez at Liverpool and he was pragmatic.  But Mourinho's approach in away games to the top 5 or 6 is pragmaticism on steroids. It's not counterattack - there is no threat on the break.

AZ - It's not about a lack of flair or entertainment, I just think he harms his own side's chances by not bringing any kind of threat on the  break.  It's a calculated strategy on his part though - settle for a draw away and aim for a win at home.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

I think if it were March or April and 3 points was a must then maybe a different approach if gunning for top three or chasing City... it's October and Utd nick a draw against a decent Liverpool team who on their day will tear most teams apart...

Thus is the same set of posts from last league game, last season...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

MR2 must have lost a few pound on the weekend given his number of posts in here since Saturday

Milltown Row2

Never watched it nor put a bet on it, was outta the country but I thought Liverpool at home against their rivals would have won, stupid talk about the lack of ambition from Utd but no talk on the failings of how Liverpool were unable to break them down?

Caught 1 minute highlights last night.. that was it over 90 minutes, the BBC could only find four bits!

laoislad

Biggest game of the season so far tonight.
Hopefully Maribor make more of a game of it than United did at the weekend anyway..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on October 17, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
Biggest game of the season so far tonight.
Hopefully Maribor make more of a game of it than United did at the weekend anyway..

3 changes

Liverpool: Karius; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Moreno; Milner, Wijnaldum, Can; Salah, Coutinho, Firmino

Substitutes: Mignolet, Klavan, Gomez, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Solanke, Sturridge

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Aaron Boone

Very few teams could do a performance like this.