Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

It's created some opportunity for other clubs in Mayo and Connacht this year, though, and even in whole country given they're AI champions. There's a lot of clubs that will be waking up tomorrow with thoughts of things that seeemed impossible 24 hours ago.

It defintely seems like those within the sport ain't siding with the deserters anyways.

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 10:15:47 PM
Since the year 2000. Carnacon have won every Senior Mayo County Senior Ladies title. The Mayo County Championship is destroyed by Carnacon. It's a procession of hammerings every year. A few decent Clubs have tried to reach the mark, but have fell well short. Many have faded away with the humiliation. It's a procession. Because ladies football is exclusive (not parish based) they attract good players from outside the parish as there is the lure of titles that can be won. And they have Cora - a monster of a player at club level.

To say they they are despised in (ladies football in) Mayo is an understatement. So this delegate meeting was probably seen as an opportunity to open up the Mayo Championship this year while putting manners on Carnacon.

This Row has been all about the unsaid. We have been all left guessing. From my point of view, Cora has stayed in the senior set-up to long. She has destroyed the confidence of 3 to 4 girls playing in the forwards the last couple of years. Players who blossomed during her absence during the league and the Championship. Just look at the before and after stats for these players. Her mé féin attitude, even after defeat in last years final is hard to stomach.

If this row was about conditions and player welfare. Why did only a third of the panel protest? I mean you'd expect if the reasons are solid the whole team/squad would have stood together? Why were these reasons not made known? Why hide them if you are protesting about them?

So we are left with the reigning Mayo, Connacht and All Ireland Ladies Club Champions out of all three competitions without kicking a ball. This is not over yet and will get nasty.

My recollection of that final is she wouldn't pass the ball unless there was absolutely no chance she could get a score herself.
No interest in bringing others into the game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 10:30:50 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 10:15:47 PM
Since the year 2000. Carnacon have won every Senior Mayo County Senior Ladies title. The Mayo County Championship is destroyed by Carnacon. It's a procession of hammerings every year. A few decent Clubs have tried to reach the mark, but have fell well short. Many have faded away with the humiliation. It's a procession. Because ladies football is exclusive (not parish based) they attract good players from outside the parish as there is the lure of titles that can be won. And they have Cora - a monster of a player at club level.

To say they they are despised in (ladies football in) Mayo is an understatement. So this delegate meeting was probably seen as an opportunity to open up the Mayo Championship this year while putting manners on Carnacon.

This Row has been all about the unsaid. We have been all left guessing. From my point of view, Cora has stayed in the senior set-up to long. She has destroyed the confidence of 3 to 4 girls playing in the forwards the last couple of years. Players who blossomed during her absence during the league and the Championship. Just look at the before and after stats for these players. Her mé féin attitude, even after defeat in last years final is hard to stomach.

If this row was about conditions and player welfare. Why did only a third of the panel protest? I mean you'd expect if the reasons are solid the whole team/squad would have stood together? Why were these reasons not made known? Why hide them if you are protesting about them?

So we are left with the reigning Mayo, Connacht and All Ireland Ladies Club Champions out of all three competitions without kicking a ball. This is not over yet and will get nasty.

My recollection of that final is she wouldn't pass the ball unless there was absolutely no chance she could get a score herself.
No interest in bringing others into the game.

In fairness you could be describing Cora in any match of her career there. For most of it you could explain it away by saying those around her weren't good enough but when you have footballers playing alongside you as good as Grace Kelly is it's harder to explain away that greediness.

Jinxy

Are we any the wiser now why they all left the panel?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 11:27:36 PM

No! But what ever it was it was something that huffed the Carnacon players in the main. For the rest it was business as usual.

spuds

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2018, 10:41:44 PM
Whatever about their reasons for leaving the county set up, they are amateur players and are under absolutely no obligation to play for the county team.

Throwing their club out of the championship is up there with one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever heard and will surely be overturned. It strikes me that people were sick of them winning and decided that this was an opportunity to fcuk them out. That's pretty pathetic.
Apparently they are obliged to play county if chosen. Was mentioned on Off the Ball earlier by Mayo journalist Edwin McGreal.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stephenite

I may have misheard but I also thought I heard Edwin on OTB specifically mentioning that it was the club that withdrew their players from the County panel, and this was the nub of the recent decision to suspend the club.

Ed - can you confirm?  :P

From the Bunker

Rule 288 was what county board cited.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 11:50:28 PM

No! But what ever it was it was something that huffed the Carnacon players in the main. For the rest it was business as usual.
I thought Cora was dropped from the Mayo team. Was that actually fake news?
Between this and Mickey Harte /RTE maybe the GAA needs some sort of arbitration system.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on August 23, 2018, 07:34:53 AM

Between this and Mickey Harte /RTE maybe the GAA needs some sort of arbitration system.

No she was told she wasn't necessarily a starter and she threw out the toys. She and her clubmates then left saying there were other issues.

spuds

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2018, 06:59:16 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 23, 2018, 12:11:24 AM
Whatever about their reasons for leaving the county set up, they are amateur players and are under absolutely no obligation to play for the county team.

Throwing their club out of the championship is up there with one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever heard and will surely be overturned. It strikes me that people were sick of them winning and decided that this was an opportunity to fcuk them out. That's pretty pathetic.
Apparently they are obliged to play county if chosen. Was mentioned on Off the Ball earlier by Mayo journalist Edwin McGreal.
Not sure how he works that one out tbh.

Go to 13:30

Carnacon thrown out of Mayo championship - GAA on Off The Ball - Off The Ball - http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/231883/Carnacon_thrown_out_of_Mayo_championship

Rule 193 ladies football. County boards have power to suspend for 6 months a player who refuses to travel or play for their county.

John Hubbard

Jinxy

That rule is bananas.
Even by 'GAA' standards.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 23, 2018, 07:34:53 AM

That's the word on the street! If this happened I suppose it was a hit on Cora's ego, her coming back from a relatively decent Aussie Rules stint.

nrico2006

Quote from: spuds on August 23, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

Carnacon thrown out of Mayo championship - GAA on Off The Ball - Off The Ball - http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/231883/Carnacon_thrown_out_of_Mayo_championship

Rule 193 ladies football. County boards have power to suspend for 6 months a player who refuses to travel or play for their county.

Surely that rule can be challenged.  Especially given the fact that the punishment doesn't seem to correlate with the rule, i.e. they haven't seemingly suspended any players but have kicked a team out.  Plus, there were non-Carnacon players who refused to play and they or their club haven't been punished.  Seems very unethical.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

spuds

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2018, 10:48:28 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 23, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

Surely that rule can be challenged.  Especially given the fact that the punishment doesn't seem to correlate with the rule, i.e. they haven't seemingly suspended any players but have kicked a team out.  Plus, there were non-Carnacon players who refused to play and they or their club haven't been punished.  Seems very unethical.
Rule 193 is not the rule that kicks Carnacon to touch, the rule the Mayo ladies football board used was rule 288 as quoted previously by From the Bunker which is  bringing the game into disrepute.
John Hubbard