The Official Fantastic Glasgow Rangers thread

Started by T Fearon, December 12, 2007, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on December 13, 2007, 12:05:18 PM
On the contrary a competitive meeting between Spurs and Celtic would cause a huge All's I know is that with this year being the 125th anniversary of Spurs and the 40th anniversary of the Lisbon Lions I reckon I have spent between £1000 to £1500 quid on the celebrations, memoribilia etc and have attended both club's AGMs in my capacity as a shareholder. What more do I need to do to prove my commitment to both?

In relation to Spurs, perhaps not label Pat Jennings, Gary Lineker and Glenn Hoddle as match-fixing cheats? :)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on December 13, 2007, 05:35:36 PM
I really dislike Rangers and thoroughly enjoyed their defeat last night but there are a few things there Lynchbhoy that cant be allowed to pass. The comment about Barry Ferguson's family in particular is uncalled for, Ferguson's grandad is a Celtic man and the lad himself is married to a Catholic girl and has spoken out against bigotry a lot in recent years. Ferguson and Stephen McManus are all actually good mates by all accounts however much certain elements of both supports dont like to hear about it.
Rangers have made a huge effort in recent times (mainly down to Uefa threatening them really but it all counts) and lots of fans have banned and the sectarian singing is greatly reduced on old times. More loonies than Celtic without doubt, but improving.

Still wouldnt take my family anywhere near either place.
I didnt say Barry ferguson - I said his family..
His brother in particular. So my comment stands.
What most people wont know and def not understand that Rangers/Celtic supporters can occur in families - brothers, cousins schoolmates etc etc
so that Fergusons granda was a Celtic supporter means nowt to his brother etc and his known participation in sectarian singing for example showing him for what he is.

I know rangers have made an effort, but imo this is a token gesture with a nod towards uefa as mentioned.  I wouldnt put it in the 'improvement' category until I see more backing than is currently coming from their club officials.
Celtic have loonies, rangers loonies occupy maybe three quarters of their stadium (well certainly on match days v celtic).

fred the red

Out of interest, is there any Glasgow Rangers fans on the board?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: fred the red on August 09, 2008, 01:11:42 PM
Out of interest, is there any Glasgow Rangers fans on the board?

I wouldn't call myself a fan,But i would have liked to see them win the Uefa Cup last year seeing as they were in the final,and anytime they played Man United in the Champions League lately I was hoping they would win.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on December 14, 2007, 11:21:58 AM
I cannot understand why any Irish sports fan cannot have huge affinity and admiration for Celtic. The club was established by a Christian Brother from Sligo for cahritable purposes, and ethos which still exists to this day, and from such humble beginnings to arise to a position where it became Champions of Europe and one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world, is a truly remarkable achievement and one in my opinion that renders it the Irish diaspora's most successful achievement.

In short it is more than just a football club, it is a symbol of Irish identity all over the world and more like a family

God, this time you really have to be kidding, no?

Why I feel no affinity for Celtic? 'Cos I don't give a toss about supporting soccer teams? Because they're a shit team hyped up by their adimttedly phenomenal and fantastic support.

Jessica Kuerten is an example of an Irishwoman at the pinnacle of her sport. I don't feel any affinity or admiration for her.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 13, 2007, 07:32:44 PM
I couldnt give a f**k about Celtic or Rangers to be honest, and sat down to watch the game trying to maintain a neutral NON POLITICAL point of view and just watch the ball. But unfortunately the politics were brought into it by the rangers fans. Union jacks everywhere and "rule britannia" being sung.
Its hard to see them as just a football team when their fan do everything in their power to portray them otherwise.

And yes I know there are similar examples from the Celtic side.
This is why I dont give a shite about either side.

Except when they play each other, then I'll cheer for Celtic  ;)
Why wouldn't they have Union Jacks  ??? They are British afterall..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mylestheslasher

I have a simple enough approach to soccer when I can be bothered to take an interest. I don't like to see certain teams win such as Rangers and England. In rangers case due to large sections of their crowd having an anti irish agenda (see booing of Robbie Keane as most recent example). England, I mostly dislike these days due to their media (although previously politics would have been a bigger problem for me with them). There are other teams I don't like for other reasons and I reserve the right to have that opinion. Likewise, I like to see Celtic do well because of their Irish links. Where I have a problem is when I see people lowering their standards to the same as the standards of the Rangers fans they so detest. Hun B**tards, black B**tards etc etc are often used by Celtic fans and personally I think it makes that fan no better than those they are abusing.

fred the red

Cuellar is gonna be a big loss this season.

Will walter have the money now to finally bring in Davis? whos gonna fill the gap in defence?

Mentalman

Quote from: fred the red on August 12, 2008, 10:08:40 PM

Will walter have the money now to finally bring in Davis? whos gonna fill the gap in defence?

On Newstalk tonight they reckoned Rangers had to sell because of the hole in their finances due to not only missing out on the chumps, but Europe full stop.

If they do have money to spend, they can have any number of OWC players from Fulham, most of whom are sinking without a trace.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The money from the Cuellar sale will go straight into Sir Minty Moonbeams pocket (too pay some of the interest on his massive debts - mostly incured by supporting the Orcs) obviously Osasuna have too get their sell-on percentage first, between 15% and 40%. Another fine piece of business from Mordor..  ::) :D
Tbc....

fred the red

Quote from: Mentalman on August 12, 2008, 10:25:55 PM
Quote from: fred the red on August 12, 2008, 10:08:40 PM

On Newstalk tonight they reckoned Rangers had to sell because of the hole in their finances due to not only missing out on the chumps, but Europe full stop.

If they do have money to spend, they can have any number of OWC players from Fulham, most of whom are sinking without a trace.

Chris Baird would be an excellent signing, however his gaelic past might not go down so well with a section of the rangers support.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Huns getting beaten 4-1 by Romanians, Romanians scored huns only goal and Lafferty and McCullough scored for the Romanians!! I kid you not, still 20 mins left for another couple, expecting the referee to score the next one.  :D :D :D
Tbc....

slow corner back

Holy Sh*t they got pounded by Sevilla in the last game at ibrox as well didnt they!!

The Real Laoislad

Just shows how piss poor the Scottish League and the "top teams" in it are...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: slow corner back on October 20, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
Holy Sh*t they got pounded by Sevilla in the last game at ibrox as well didnt they!!

Aye think they got humped 4-1 as well.

Home fans now booing their own players.
Tbc....