The Official Fantastic Glasgow Rangers thread

Started by T Fearon, December 12, 2007, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

The top 4 are miles ahead of scotland, but most of the prem teams would be contending for honours in scotland.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 13, 2007, 03:02:39 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 13, 2007, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 12, 2007, 10:38:09 PMPersonally for pure footballing reasons i would have liked to see Rangers go thru..I don't care about religion,politics when it comes to soccer and i think it have been great to see Rangers meet Chelsea or Man United or possibly even Celtic in the round after
Do u care about a club singing about being up to their knees in Fenian blood???
There in lies the problem if you ask me...
I support teams not fans(im not a Rangers fan btw or Celtic for that matter)..
If i was to worry about what fans did and sang i'd hardly be a Liverpool fan now would I?
Im sure half if not most of the Rangers players know f**k all about what the Rangers fans are singing about,I like to see good soccer matches and i would have liked to see Rangers go thru purely for that reason because it would have been interesting too see them play Man U,Chelsea or possibly even Celtic in the latter stages..
you obv dont know much about rangers then....unlike celtic who have made huge efforts to change from tradition (but still have a few looney fans) - rangers as a club still retain the inherent sectarianism and indulge/allow such practises to continue.
The good thing is that they have had to start buying catholic players etc to the horror of their fans and some shareholders, but a fair few of their players current and former are of the sectarian variety as well...barry fergusons family, bob 'ftp' malcolm etc etc...
so the club is sectarian, and until they purge themselves, will remain so.
the 'old firm' is a myth...Celtic are nothing like rangers and only thing they share is the same city.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 13, 2007, 03:50:57 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 13, 2007, 03:02:39 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 13, 2007, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 12, 2007, 10:38:09 PMPersonally for pure footballing reasons i would have liked to see Rangers go thru..I don't care about religion,politics when it comes to soccer and i think it have been great to see Rangers meet Chelsea or Man United or possibly even Celtic in the round after
Do u care about a club singing about being up to their knees in Fenian blood???
There in lies the problem if you ask me...
I support teams not fans(im not a Rangers fan btw or Celtic for that matter)..
If i was to worry about what fans did and sang i'd hardly be a Liverpool fan now would I?
Im sure half if not most of the Rangers players know f**k all about what the Rangers fans are singing about,I like to see good soccer matches and i would have liked to see Rangers go thru purely for that reason because it would have been interesting too see them play Man U,Chelsea or possibly even Celtic in the latter stages..
you obv dont know much about rangers then....unlike celtic who have made huge efforts to change from tradition (but still have a few looney fans) - rangers as a club still retain the inherent sectarianism and indulge/allow such practises to continue.
The good thing is that they have had to start buying catholic players etc to the horror of their fans and some shareholders, but a fair few of their players current and former are of the sectarian variety as well...barry fergusons family, bob 'ftp' malcolm etc etc...
the 'old firm' is a myth...Celtic are nothing like rangers and only thing they share is the same city.

No i know f**k all about Rangers or Celtic for that matter and I don't wish too know anything about both clubs because i couldn't give a toss about either club...
My orginal point was i would have liked to see Rangers go thru because it could have produced some interesting matches,I don't care about their fans or even their players i just looking at the whole thing from a sporting mind not a religious/political one
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 13, 2007, 03:58:07 PMNo i know f**k all about Rangers or Celtic for that matter and I don't wish too know anything about both clubs because i couldn't give a toss about either club...
My orginal point was i would have liked to see Rangers go thru because it could have produced some interesting matches,I don't care about their fans or even their players i just looking at the whole thing from a sporting mind not a religious/political one

In Rankers case I'm afraid u can't seperate the club from their one religion philosophy, i.e. sectarianism, no matter how unrelated u think they are. It's like trying to discuss the invasion of Iraq without mentioning oil...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 13, 2007, 04:07:42 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 13, 2007, 03:58:07 PMNo i know f**k all about Rangers or Celtic for that matter and I don't wish too know anything about both clubs because i couldn't give a toss about either club...

In Rankers case I'm afraid u can't seperate the club from their one religion philosophy, i.e. sectarianism, no matter how unrelated u think they are. It's like trying to discuss the invasion of Iraq without mentioning oil...
correct !

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 13, 2007, 04:07:42 PM

Fair enough im not going to argue over what Rangers fans/club are like...
I still think it would have made some interesting matches if they got thru and thats all I meant from the outset
You'll Never Walk Alone.

southdown

I have a question for any Rangers fans who go to the RFC supporters bar on Sandy Row:

Above the main entrance are 3 flags - u Union Jack, A Northern Ireland IFA flag, and a Northern Ireland flag.  Why no Rangers flag?  Or do the members affiliate themselve more with Northern Ireland Unionism than they do the actual football club?

From the Bunker

Don't know if this was covered already, apologies if it has, but what were the 5 stars doing over the crest on Rangers Champions league Jersey? I presume they are there to show that they have won the domestic league 5 x 10 times! But what has that got to do with this competition.

nifan

I thought the rangers supporters club burned down years ago???

stew

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on December 13, 2007, 05:35:36 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 13, 2007, 03:50:57 PM

I really dislike Rangers and thoroughly enjoyed their defeat last night but there are a few things there Lynchbhoy that cant be allowed to pass. The comment about Barry Ferguson's family in particular is uncalled for, Ferguson's grandad is a Celtic man and the lad himself is married to a Catholic girl and has spoken out against bigotry a lot in recent years. Ferguson and Stephen McManus are all actually good mates by all accounts however much certain elements of both supports dont like to hear about it.
Rangers have made a huge effort in recent times (mainly down to Uefa threatening them really but it all counts) and lots of fans have banned and the sectarian singing is greatly reduced on old times. More loonies than Celtic without doubt, but improving.

Still wouldnt take my family anywhere near either place.

Delighted to see the huns going down like the spineless hoors they are. Losing three nil at home to that shower is a disaster and couldnt happen to a better club. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stiffler

I have disliked Rangers from the day that Gazza imitated playing the flute during a game.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

his holiness nb

I couldnt give a f**k about Celtic or Rangers to be honest, and sat down to watch the game trying to maintain a neutral NON POLITICAL point of view and just watch the ball. But unfortunately the politics were brought into it by the rangers fans. Union jacks everywhere and "rule britannia" being sung.
Its hard to see them as just a football team when their fan do everything in their power to portray them otherwise.

And yes I know there are similar examples from the Celtic side.
This is why I dont give a shite about either side.

Except when they play each other, then I'll cheer for Celtic  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

stew

Quote from: tram on December 13, 2007, 07:36:13 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 13, 2007, 09:24:43 AM
Quote from: tram on December 13, 2007, 01:03:52 AM
I think there's little doubt that the word "Huns" is being used as a derogatory term here. And if I was a Glasgow Celtic fan I wouldn't be shouting too much considering that they had to rely on others to get through to the knockout stages.
I'm a hoops fan and fail to see why the fcuk you need to bring us into this thread, TF is a Spurs fan not a Celtic fan, so keep your sad little digs about Celtic to the relevent threads (Official Glasgow Celtic Thread).
Show me a Glasgow Celtic supporter whom has never taken any glee over the misfortune of Glasgow Rangers  on the field and I will be stunned. Nearly all the supporters from both clubs feed off the bile off each other, so spare me the thin skin. Don't have much time for cross-channel soccer because of shite like this.

I am not a supporter of Celtic but i love it when the gers get bate, I also love it when the Glens get bate, and when Linfield get bate I love that too. I am beginning to see a pattern forming here. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

I cannot understand why any Irish sports fan cannot have huge affinity and admiration for Celtic. The club was established by a Christian Brother from Sligo for cahritable purposes, and ethos which still exists to this day, and from such humble beginnings to arise to a position where it became Champions of Europe and one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world, is a truly remarkable achievement and one in my opinion that renders it the Irish diaspora's most successful achievement.

In short it is more than just a football club, it is a symbol of Irish identity all over the world and more like a family

his holiness nb

Quote from: T Fearon on December 14, 2007, 11:21:58 AM
I cannot understand why any Irish sports fan cannot have huge affinity and admiration for Celtic. The club was established by a Christian Brother from Sligo for cahritable purposes, and ethos which still exists to this day, and from such humble beginnings to arise to a position where it became Champions of Europe and one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world, is a truly remarkable achievement and one in my opinion that renders it the Irish diaspora's most successful achievement.

In short it is more than just a football club, it is a symbol of Irish identity all over the world and more like a family

What if you are a sports fan but not a soccer fan Tony?
Ask me holy bollix