Hurling All-Star nominations 2012

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 04, 2012, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Goalkeepers: Anthony Nash (Cork), Nickie Quaid (Limerick), James Skehill (Galway).

Full Backs: Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny), Johnny Coen (Galway), Fergal Moore (Galway), Jackie Tyrell (Kilkenny), Richie McCarthy (Limerick), Michael Cahill (Tipperary), Kevin Hynes (Galway), Shane O'Neill (Cork).

Half backs: Brian Hogan (Kilkenny), Brendan Bugler (Clare), Padraic Maher (Tipperary), David Collins (Galway), Michael Walsh (Waterford), Tony Óg Regan (Galway), Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny), Niall Donoghue (Galway), Kieran Joyce (Kilkenny).

Midfielders: Andy Smith (Galway), Kevin Moran (Waterford), Stephen Molumphy (Waterford), Pa Cronin (Cork), Iarla Tannian (Galway), Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny).

Half Forwards: Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny), Cyril Donnellan (Galway), Niall Burke (Galway), Patrick Bonnar Maher (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Pa Burke (Tipperary), Damien Hayes (Galway), Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin), Richie Power (Kilkenny).

Full forwards: Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Joe Canning (Galway), Noel McGrath (Tipperary), Patrick Horgan (Cork), John Mullane (Waterford), Brian O'Meara (Tipperary), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), John Conlon (Clare), David Burke (Galway).

Nominations for Hurler of the Year

Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)
Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
Joe Canning (Galway)

Nominations for Young Hurler of the Year

Johnny Coen (Galway)
Niall Burke (Galway)
Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)

FTJC

I don't know how a few of our lads got nominations and no Limerick forward?????

Croí na hÉireann

Anthony Nash (Cork)
Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny), Johnny Coen (Galway)
Brian Hogan (Kilkenny), Padraic Maher (Tipperary), David Collins (Galway)
              Iarla Tannian (Galway), Kevin Moran (Waterford)
Pa Burke (Tipperary), Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny), TJ Reid (Kilkenny),
Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Joe Canning (Galway), John Mullane (Waterford)

HOTY - Too close to call but Shefflin will probably get it over Canning due to him winning his 9th AI title.
YHOTY - Johnny Coen (Galway)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Two Hands FFS

I don't really think Canning was that good this year.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on October 04, 2012, 12:08:56 PM
I don't really think Canning was that good this year.

Going into the first All-Ireland final I think it was generally accepted that he was comfortably out in front for HOTY. With Galway not winning he won't get it now though.

Going through his games individually

He didn't play against Westmeath

Played fairly well against Offaly and scored 0-11 (0-2 from play)

Had a great game in Leinster final against Kilkenny scoring 1-10 (1-3 from play)

Played very well against Cork in the semi-final scoring 0-11 (0-4 from play)

All Ireland final against Kilkenny had a great first half and quiet second half. Scored 1-9 (1-1 from play)

Replayed final was probably his quietest game of the Summer. Came in carrying a knee injury that would have kept him out of any other game but came within an inch or two of scoring another great goal. Scored 0-9 (0-2 from play)

belleaqua

1. Anthony Nash

2. Paul Murphy
3. JJ Delaney
4. Johnny Coen

5. David Collins
6. Brian Hogan
7  Kieran Joyce

8. Iarlaith Tannion
9. Kevin Moran

10. TJ. Reid
11. Henry Shefflin
12. Cyril Donnellan

13. David Burke
14. Joe Canning
15. John Mullane

HOTY: Henry Shefflin although I thought TJ Reid before nominations
TPOTY: Johnny Coen

Hard team to pick with the full back line probably the easiest selection although Fergal Moore and to a lesser extent Jackie Tyrell are unlucky.

I think Kieran Joyce has been fiercely underrated this year. His man taken off in 3 of the 4 games he has played if I am not mistaken? Very solid if not spectacular and Collins had a very consistent year too.

Tannian is a cert with Moran probably the most deserving.

Half forward line the second easiest to pick. Donnellan's red card will probably count against him but he was Galway's second best forward this year. Not there really as a scorer but chipped in nicely at times in that department and was Galway's best player in the final until the rush of blood to the head. I see Pa Bourke being selected in some areas and I am surprised as I certainly dont think he came close to these three as well as being taken off before half time in the Munster final.

Hardest line to pick. David Burke is very lucky he is nominated in here. Canning the only cert. If there had not been an All Ireland replay then Eoin Larkin and Richie Hogan would even have struggled to get nominated and I think too much emphasis is placed on finals so hence my selections.

YPOTY: No contest - Johhny Coen

mouview

Quote from: belleaqua on October 04, 2012, 02:57:17 PM
1. Anthony Nash

2. Paul Murphy
3. JJ Delaney
4. Johnny Coen

5. David Collins
6. Brian Hogan
7  Kieran Joyce

8. Iarlaith Tannion
9. Kevin Moran

10. TJ. Reid
11. Henry Shefflin
12. Cyril Donnellan

13. David Burke
14. Joe Canning
15. John Mullane

Hard team to pick with the full back line probably the easiest selection although Fergal Moore and to a lesser extent Jackie Tyrell are unlucky.

I think Kieran Joyce has been fiercely underrated this year. His man taken off in 3 of the 4 games he has played if I am not mistaken? Very solid if not spectacular and Collins had a very consistent year too.

Half forward line the second easiest to pick. Donnellan's red card will probably count against him but he was Galway's second best forward this year. Not there really as a scorer but chipped in nicely at times in that department and was Galway's best player in the final until the rush of blood to the head. I see Pa Bourke being selected in some areas and I am surprised as I certainly dont think he came close to these three as well as being taken off before half time in the Munster final.

Hardest line to pick. David Burke is very lucky he is nominated in here. Canning the only cert. If there had not been an All Ireland replay then Eoin Larkin and Richie Hogan would even have struggled to get nominated and I think too much emphasis is placed on finals so hence my selections.

Rightly or wrongly, a bit too much emphasis on the final(s) alright. By that token though, Damien Hayes would be a shoo-in. Draw and replay were his only moderate games all year.

belleaqua

Quote from: mouview on October 04, 2012, 03:42:55 PM
Quote from: belleaqua on October 04, 2012, 02:57:17 PM
1. Anthony Nash

2. Paul Murphy
3. JJ Delaney
4. Johnny Coen

5. David Collins
6. Brian Hogan
7  Kieran Joyce

8. Iarlaith Tannion
9. Kevin Moran

10. TJ. Reid
11. Henry Shefflin
12. Cyril Donnellan

13. David Burke
14. Joe Canning
15. John Mullane

Rightly or wrongly, a bit too much emphasis on the final(s) alright. By that token though, Damien Hayes would be a shoo-in. Draw and replay were his only moderate games all year.

I thought McDonnell for Cork done a job on him in the semi? It was the same template Cody used then in the drawn game.

I think Donnellan has been better and more influential than him all year to be honest.

mouview

Scored 4 points from play in the semi', good going by any standards. Donnellan very good up to and in the LF, but injury thereafter killed a lot of his form. Unfortunately last Sunday he returned *somewhat* to his bad ways, i.e. poor use of possession.

belleaqua

Quote from: mouview on October 04, 2012, 04:55:01 PM
Scored 4 points from play in the semi', good going by any standards. Donnellan very good up to and in the LF, but injury thereafter killed a lot of his form. Unfortunately last Sunday he returned *somewhat* to his bad ways, i.e. poor use of possession.

Yet still our only forward that could win a ball. I cant understand why they keep moving him inside. He took Tommy Walsh for 3 balls in the first 15 minutes and then shunted inside again. I get the rotation thing when things are goin well but when they aren't you gotta play your ball winners out in the half forward line.

I thought he was our best player on Sunday until the 49th minute.

theticklemister

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 04, 2012, 12:11:17 AM
Goalkeepers: Anthony Nash (Cork), Nickie Quaid (Limerick), James Skehill (Galway).

Full Backs: Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny), Johnny Coen (Galway), Fergal Moore (Galway), Jackie Tyrell (Kilkenny), Richie McCarthy (Limerick), Michael Cahill (Tipperary), Kevin Hynes (Galway), Shane O'Neill (Cork).

Half backs: Brian Hogan (Kilkenny), Brendan Bugler (Clare), Padraic Maher (Tipperary), David Collins (Galway), Michael Walsh (Waterford), Tony Óg Regan (Galway), Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny), Niall Donoghue (Galway), Kieran Joyce (Kilkenny).

Midfielders: Andy Smith (Galway), Kevin Moran (Waterford), Stephen Molumphy (Waterford), Pa Cronin (Cork), Iarla Tannian (Galway), Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny).

Half Forwards: Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny), Cyril Donnellan (Galway), Niall Burke (Galway), Patrick Bonnar Maher (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Pa Burke (Tipperary), Damien Hayes (Galway), Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin), Richie Power (Kilkenny).

Full forwards: Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Joe Canning (Galway), Noel McGrath (Tipperary), Patrick Horgan (Cork), John Mullane (Waterford), Brian O'Meara (Tipperary), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), John Conlon (Clare), David Burke (Galway).

Nominations for Hurler of the Year

Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)
Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
Joe Canning (Galway)

Nominations for Young Hurler of the Year

Johnny Coen (Galway)
Niall Burke (Galway)
Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)

Maybe not the All-Star team ; but I would go for the following

1. James Skehill
2. Paul Murphy
3. JJ
4. Johnny Coen
5. Bulger
6. Hogan
7. Collins
8. Moran
9. Tannian
10. Shefflin
11. Maher
12. TJ Reid
13. Mullane
14. Canning
15. Burke

Minder

All Stars -

Nash - Cork

Murphy - Kilkenny
Delaney - Kilkenny
Moore - Galway

Bugler - Clare
Hogan - Kilkenny
Collins - Galway

Tannian - Galway
Moran - Waterford

Reid - Kilkenny
Shefflin - Kilkenny
Hayes - Galway

Mullane - Waterford
Canning - Galway
Burke - Galway

Shefflin POTY

Coen Young Player Of The Year
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theticklemister

I didnt do too bad!!!!

Well deserved for bulger

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: theticklemister on October 26, 2012, 08:47:04 PM
I didnt do too bad!!!!

Well deserved for bulger

Good shout alright, didnt see Bugler getting one. Seen him live in Thurles this year, very impressed with him though. Great reader, stong and brave.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"