Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Quote from: Ulick on November 23, 2012, 11:26:53 PM
DRD have been legally advised to appeal. If you are so upset about the £150k maybe you should write to the UUP DRD Minister Danny Kennedy and ask him why he is defying the legal advice. Obviously nothing to do with playing Party politics with taxpayers money?

Ffs it's saffrongael that's posting,he is under orders from Martin Og who wouldn't know what DRD is

Applesisapples

I don't believe for one minute that Conor Murphy is sectarian. I do believe he and his Department messed up the selection process which
gave the opportunity to others to portray him as such. I don't know about the possibility of grounds for appeal without seeing the evidence. However one thing is for sure Danny Kennedy wasn't going to miss an opportunity to make it look like Murphy is a bigot.

In relation to Dissident Republican Prisoners, SF need to take a step back, many in the broader Catholic community do not like the ease with which they take up the causes of these people. Lets face it the most high profile victims of all this dissident activity has been to GAA members, one an Irish Speaker, and a Catholic police officer. A bit like the DUP and the OO time to stop riding two horses.

AS evidenced at the DUP conference, and in various opinion polls many Catholics now support the union. SF's populist stance on many issues and it's reluctance to abandon left wing ideology makes victory in any border poll unlikely. A growing catholic middle class has stopped voting or is drifting towards alliance. Parity of esteem is as far away as ever. If the SDLP had proper united leadership and some clear ideas they would wipe the floor with SF, unforunately they don't. All the Republican rhetoric, and abusive comments from the SF element on this board can not hide the fact that SF's policies on unity are in tatters. 

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AM
I don't believe for one minute that Conor Murphy is sectarian. I do believe he and his Department messed up the selection process which
gave the opportunity to others to portray him as such. I don't know about the possibility of grounds for appeal without seeing the evidence. However one thing is for sure Danny Kennedy wasn't going to miss an opportunity to make it look like Murphy is a bigot.

In relation to Dissident Republican Prisoners, SF need to take a step back, many in the broader Catholic community do not like the ease with which they take up the causes of these people. Lets face it the most high profile victims of all this dissident activity has been to GAA members, one an Irish Speaker, and a Catholic police officer. A bit like the DUP and the OO time to stop riding two horses.

AS evidenced at the DUP conference, and in various opinion polls many Catholics now support the union. SF's populist stance on many issues and it's reluctance to abandon left wing ideology makes victory in any border poll unlikely. A growing catholic middle class has stopped voting or is drifting towards alliance. Parity of esteem is as far away as ever. If the SDLP had proper united leadership and some clear ideas they would wipe the floor with SF, unforunately they don't. All the Republican rhetoric, and abusive comments from the SF element on this board can not hide the fact that SF's policies on unity are in tatters.

The broad nationalist community would also be highly uncomfortable with internment, too. Something you are clearly not all that bothered about if your recent comments on this thread are anything to go by.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

charlieTully

'As evidenced at the DUP conference'.. was peter delivering the results of a border poll or offering his opinion?. could you please provide evidence of the various opinion polls that many catholics now support the union.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 26, 2012, 11:22:04 AM

The broad nationalist community would also be highly uncomfortable with internment, too. Something you are clearly not all that bothered about if your recent comments on this thread are anything to go by.
It isn't internment, and these anti agreement dissidents must pay for their support for those Martin McGuinness referred to as traitors.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 01:29:52 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 26, 2012, 11:22:04 AM

It isn't internment, and these anti agreement dissidents must pay for their support for those Martin McGuinness referred to as traitors.
Please explain to me how Marion Price is not being interned.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: charlieTully on November 26, 2012, 01:27:41 PM

'As evidenced at the DUP conference'.. was peter delivering the results of a border poll or offering his opinion?. could you please provide evidence of the various opinion polls that many catholics now support the union.
OK Robinson was quoting polls, they have been widely publicized and whilst not definitive it is fair to say they are fairly indicative of where we are.

armaghniac

Quotecould you please provide evidence of the various opinion polls that many catholics now support the union.

You only have to look as posters on this board, most of whom come from a "Catholic" background in NI terms.

But for a more systematic survey
http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2010/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

charlieTully

Quote from: armaghniac on November 26, 2012, 03:54:11 PM
Quotecould you please provide evidence of the various opinion polls that many catholics now support the union.

You only have to look as posters on this board, most of whom come from a "Catholic" background in NI terms.

But for a more systematic survey
http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2010/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html

a survey of 1205 people. thats me convinced, cheers.

armaghniac

Quotea survey of 1205 people. thats me convinced, cheers.

Good, 1205 is actually a rather large sample for a properly structured survey.

Of course with such surveys, it is largely a case of what exact question you ask.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AMI don't believe for one minute that Conor Murphy is sectarian.
"Don't believe" or "don't want to believe"?

You see, the facts are that Murphy chose the sole RC applicant, over 4 other Protestant applicants, at least one of whom was obviously better qualified.

And when an independent, qualified and experienced Fair Employment Tribunal carefully examined the situation, they refuted eg Murphy's assertion that he was unaware of the overlooked Candidate's religious background, and pointed out that the successful applicant was personally well-known to Murphy and senior SF colleagues.

On the basis of this and other factors, they determined unequivocally that Murphy's actions were motived by by religious/ sectarian considerations. And I think it not coincidental that despite Murphy's protests that he is not sectarian etc, neither he nor his Party has done anything to get this verdict overturned, nor demonstrate why it was incorrect.

Yet even in the face of this clear and unambiguous evidence, you remain prepared to give Murphy a "bye-ball".

This contrasts starkly with your comments on the "Dissidents" thread, where you disgracefully linked by implication the family of the murdered Prison Officer and OO member, Mr. Black, to Loyalist terrorists etc, despite confessing that you "... have no specfic evidence that the Black family have had interaction with loyalist paramilitary elements etc"
[I note that you were careful to use the word "specific", when you might have excluded it completely  ::)]

So why the contrasting standards of proof?

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AMI do believe he and his Department messed up the selection process which gave the opportunity to others to portray him as such. I don't know about the possibility of grounds for appeal without seeing the evidence. However one thing is for sure Danny Kennedy wasn't going to miss an opportunity to make it look like Murphy is a bigot.
Ah, he "messed up", and his Department, too. Poor, misguided lambs.
Why, you could almost call Murphy "unfortunate", were it not for the inconvenient fact that the Tribunal unambiguously found that his was a case of bad faith (i.e. sectarianism), rather than simple incompetence...

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AMI don't know about the possibility of grounds for appeal without seeing the evidence.
If you need evidence, why don't you read the Tribunal's findings? They had all the evidence they needed to conclude that Murphy's actions were motivated by sectarianism.

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AMHowever one thing is for sure Danny Kennedy wasn't going to miss an opportunity to make it look like Murphy is a bigot.
Danny Kennedy didn't force Conor Murphy to act as he did. Nor is it his responsibility to absolve Murphy from such claims.

Quite simply, if Murphy doesn't want to look like a bigot, he should stop behaving like one.  >:(
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

QuoteQuite simply, if Murphy doesn't want to look like a bigot, he should stop behaving like one.

Good advice for anyone, EG. Maybe take it to heart?

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2012, 01:15:40 PM
QuoteQuite simply, if Murphy doesn't want to look like a bigot, he should stop behaving like one.

Good advice for anyone, EG. Maybe take it to heart?
I certainly try my best [bold, not least since I wouldn't like to be found a bigot by a qualified organisation such as an Employment Tribunal.

A petty keyboard warrior, sniping from the touchline, is another matter, mind...  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

naka

interesting wee spack between shinners sdlp and dup over the cuts,
the guys try to play real politics every so often but the tribal tendencies always seem to get in the way.

reality is the cuts will be voted through because we need the block grant because of the bloated public sector and welfare state.

charlieTully

Quote from: naka on November 27, 2012, 02:44:35 PM
interesting wee spack between shinners sdlp and dup over the cuts,
the guys try to play real politics every so often but the tribal tendencies always seem to get in the way.

reality is the cuts will be voted through because we need the block grant because of the bloated public sector and welfare state.

they could always try cutting the amount spent on unelected quangos.