Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: downjim on December 17, 2019, 04:43:31 PM
Still no word on age groups for 2020 yet teams will be back resining in a few weeks. What nights are games on etc
Coaching officer role should be given to Poacher or Laverty
Is this something new to your Club DJ?

downjim

Still no word on age groups for 2020 yet teams will be back training in a few weeks. What nights are games on etc

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on December 17, 2019, 05:11:21 PM
Still no word on age groups for 2020 yet teams will be back training in a few weeks. What nights are games on etc

Two separate issues there Jim.

Fixtures are nothing to do with the Coaching Officer.

yewtree

As far as I can see we are agreed for u13,15,17 age groups for 2020.We have been discussing Saturdays for a u19 grade to alternate each Saturday with Reserves.

Regards Coaching Officer Role I would look no further than Dan McCartan Burren ,he seems committed and steady.It appears that he wouldn't have the wherewithal to be a manager or coach but could turn out to be a good administrator.With his commitment I feel this could be a master stroke to co opt him on to County Board as Coaching Officer.

Cuan12

Conor Lavery is the man for the coaching role, no other individual comes close, Dan McCartan has had experience with wee James in the minor set up and if we are honest about it, that didn't go well in terms of results, I'm not knocking either person as it takes a lot to manager / coach a county team but Lavery is your man, it's about time we as a county started to appoint the right people in important positions.

CornUladh02

The coaching officer job AFAIK is an unpaid and maybe an unfashionable position so it immediately rules out alot of coaches who are with other teams. Daniel is a good shout in terms of his dual coaching and business acumen snd would be an asset the current CB. You can't solely judge a mans coaching credentials on his teams successes or failures.

johnnycool

Quote from: CornUladh02 on December 19, 2019, 02:43:53 PM
The coaching officer job AFAIK is an unpaid and maybe an unfashionable position so it immediately rules out alot of coaches who are with other teams. Daniel is a good shout in terms of his dual coaching and business acumen snd would be an asset the current CB. You can't solely judge a mans coaching credentials on his teams successes or failures.

Not sure of the requirements of a coaching officer, but I'd have thought that being a good coach may not actually be one of them as strange as that may seem.
Having an understanding of Planning and structuring of the coaching process is probably more important than being a good coach yourself.

When Brian Cody is asked about the success of hurling in Kilkenny he always talks about Ned Quinn who set about changing Kilkenny hurling in the mid 90's after Down beat them in Nowlan Park to relegate them to Div2 of the NHL believe it or not.

I'd suggest a degree in Sports Science or similar would be a basic prerequisite and then having a few relations on the interview panel will get you over the line..

ardtole

If there is a 5 year plan in place, or similar, then Conor Laverty should be at the forefront of it. I'd like to see him looking after anywhere between u-16s to u20s, and if successful, eventually take the senior job. Similar to how mickey harte came through the ranks at tyrone.

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on December 20, 2019, 12:50:05 PM
If there is a 5 year plan in place, or similar, then Conor Laverty should be at the forefront of it. I'd like to see him looking after anywhere between u-16s to u20s, and if successful, eventually take the senior job. Similar to how mickey harte came through the ranks at tyrone.

I presume the Mourne Academy have a plan to work to.

Hedgehunter

Would it be wise or feasible to drastically reduce expenditure on our Down Senior team and invest that money into our youth setup over a 5-7 year period?? I don't see Down dining at the top table any time soon.

yewtree

Quote from: yewtree on December 18, 2019, 10:06:02 PM

As far as I can see we are agreed for u13,15,17 age groups for 2020.We have been discussing Saturdays for a u19 grade to alternate each Saturday with Reserves.

Regards Coaching Officer Role I would look no further than Dan McCartan Burren ,he seems committed and steady.It appears that he wouldn't have the wherewithal to be a manager or coach but could turn out to be a good administrator.With his commitment I feel this could be a master stroke to co opt him on to County Board as Coaching Officer.

Quote from: Cuan12 on December 19, 2019, 08:10:12 AM
Conor Lavery is the man for the coaching role, no other individual comes close, Dan McCartan has had experience with wee James in the minor set up and if we are honest about it, that didn't go well in terms of results, I'm not knocking either person as it takes a lot to manager / coach a county team but Lavery is your man, it's about time we as a county started to appoint the right people in important positions.

This coaching officer post doesn't need to be a quality coach or manager but is more administrative.This is where Dan McCartan Burren could come in as an administrator as he has a profile name ,(with respect to his efforts at coaching or managing that appears to be not working out) let's use him and from what I am led to believe his talents would be better served on the County Board than a training pitch.
I'm sure there are others out there but this role is not a new one but I feel Jack will co-opt Daniel on to the County Board.

Nanderson

With McKenna cup just around the corner anyone able to hazard a guess on a starting 15. Would love to see Niall Donnelly back in midfield for the seaason if his injuries have cleared. Would be massive unit around the middle again and was having a good season up til the injury a couple of years ago. Would also like to see Quinn nail down a starting place on the team. Was class in every game he came on last year.

1. Marc Reid
2. McAleenan
3. Murdock
4. Collins
5. D. Guinness
6. O'Hagan
7. Laverty
8. Donnelly
9. Middleton
10. J. Guinness
11. Quinn
12. Mooney
13. Havern
14. Harrison
15. Kerr

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Nanderson on December 21, 2019, 08:21:02 PM
With McKenna cup just around the corner anyone able to hazard a guess on a starting 15. Would love to see Niall Donnelly back in midfield for the seaason if his injuries have cleared. Would be massive unit around the middle again and was having a good season up til the injury a couple of years ago. Would also like to see Quinn nail down a starting place on the team. Was class in every game he came on last year.

1. Marc Reid
2. McAleenan
3. Murdock
4. Collins
5. D. Guinness
6. O'Hagan
7. Laverty
8. Donnelly
9. Middleton
10. J. Guinness
11. Quinn
12. Mooney
13. Havern
14. Harrison
15. Kerr

Thats probably not a bad line for McKenna cup, I would like to see Owen McCabe getting plenty of game time in McKenna cup and National league. Who else's been called into squad? I thought Conor Clarke would have been brought into the panel this year? I seen Carr, Middleton and Kerr named in Irish news.

Ed Hardy

Down team to play fermanagh;

O Hare
McAleenan
McArdle
Collins
Laverty
O Hagan
Annett
Flynn
Mooney
McCabe
C Gallagher
Poland
D Guinness
Havern
McGarry

Smurfy123

Strong McKenna cup team. Good to see McArdle back for another year. Midfield still looks a problem. Any news on Harrison I have heard he hasn't attended yet. Hope he comes back fit to play