The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: J70 on December 16, 2020, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 16, 2020, 08:48:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 16, 2020, 08:46:45 PM
That looked offside to me based on the ludicrous hair-splitting they've been engaging in.

Hopefully a sign of things to come given that it was allowed to stand.
Funny how it usually takes a good 5 minutes to determine a Liverpool goal offside but that took less than 30 seconds??!!

That's the way it should be though.

If it's a mm or a toe here and there, it should go with the attacker rather than spending minutes trying to figure it out.
I actually prefer the way the Dier handball and the Son offside decisions were dealt with tonight, hopefully a  sign of things for the rest of the season, but just totally inconsistent with the way the rules have been applied up to now.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 17, 2020, 09:11:03 AM
That looked offside to me based on the ludicrous hair-splitting they've been engaging in.

Funny how it usually takes a good 5 minutes to determine a Liverpool goal offside but that took less than 30 seconds??!!

If it's a mm or a toe here and there, it should go with the attacker rather than spending minutes trying to figure it out.
I actually prefer the way the Dier handball and the Son offside decisions were dealt with tonight, hopefully a  sign of things for the rest of the season, but just totally inconsistent with the way the rules have been applied up to now.
It took the VAR ones longer to try to rule Bobbys goal out than Sons in....

TabClear

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 17, 2020, 09:24:02 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 17, 2020, 09:11:03 AM

It took the VAR ones longer to try to rule Bobbys goal out than Sons in....

I read somewhere this morning that the reason the SON decision was taken so quickly was because the reference points for both players were feet planted on the ground there was no need for the 3d correlation, perpendicular lines etc. If that's the case and it was deemed onside so be it.

On the Henderson/Dier coming together I have not yet seen a decent view but it looks like it was deliberate where Henderson ran across Dier's line but he did not grab him. Not sure how Dier ended up on the ground but I have not seen any angle that would definitely warrant a free being awarded. What I would say is that there was definitely less of a case for a free than the Salah "push" before the Fulham goal on Saturday that got looked at for about 10 seconds even though there were multiple angles.

If that had been chalked off then you would be in the bizarre situation where you would be encouraging defenders to start throwing themselves to the ground in the box at set pieces if they are not directly involved in the contest for the ball just in case a forward is deemed to have contacted them.

Edit: Just saw an aerial shot that looks like Hendo gave him a "bump". Not sure it was enough for the fall though

blewuporstuffed

I think Dier went down theatrically looking for it. There was contact from Henderson surely, but he made a meal of it looking a  soft free out and got caught out
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 18, 2020, 03:49:36 PM
I think Dier went down theatrically looking for it. There was contact from Henderson surely, but he made a meal of it looking a  soft free out and got caught out

Looked like normal jostling, shoulder to shoulder to me. And it had no bearing on Firmino scoring. Would have been ludicrous to disallow the goal for that.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on December 18, 2020, 05:04:50 PM

Looked like normal jostling, shoulder to shoulder to me. And it had no bearing on Firmino scoring. Would have been ludicrous to disallow the goal for that.

Dont think it was shoulder to shoulder to be fair. Looked like Hendo gave him a "dunt" (to use an old manager's phrase  ;)) in the back. However I agree that it was nt enough to warrant a free, I think Dier realised he had lost Williams and decided to look for the free.

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on December 18, 2020, 05:04:50 PM

With our luck with VAR, I was actually expected it to be ruled out. I think Dier being blocked did have a part to play as Alderweireld then had both Williams and Bobby to mark. You can see he kinda goes towards Williams and then back to Bobby. Who knows what would've happened if Dier had been close to Williams freeing Toby up for Bobby.

Anyway it's done now and we move on. Palace up next...Beneteke suspended, as bad as he has been (bit improved recently) he's the type of striker who can gift out back line issues. Zaha the man to watch though...big job for Hendo, TAA and whoever is playing the right sided CB.

brokencrossbar1

Diers fall was pathetic of a 'big' man but did anyone see Sir Harry....cleared the ball with a good header, looked where the ball went, then collapsed holding his head...when will he be called out?

laoislad

Always hate the Palace away game, maybe it's PTSD from the 2014 game....
Anyway the recent record has been decent enough so hopefully a win tomorrow and be top for Christmas and into the new year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 18, 2020, 06:28:24 PM
Diers fall was pathetic of a 'big' man but did anyone see Sir Harry....cleared the ball with a good header, looked where the ball went, then collapsed holding his head...when will he be called out?

I noticed that. It was with Gini right? I noticed Gini didn't even flinch so either there was no contact or Gini is as hard as nails

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gawa316 on December 18, 2020, 06:34:13 PM

I noticed that. It was with Gini right? I noticed Gini didn't even flinch so either there was no contact or Gini is as hard as nails

People can make their own minds up...

https://twitter.com/senneh90/status/1339566211764527109?s=21

J70

Quote from: laoislad on December 18, 2020, 06:28:43 PM
Anyway the recent record has been decent enough so hopefully a win tomorrow and be top for Christmas and into the new year.

We've been beating them away repeatedly, but I still always dread it. Always a complete scrap, usually with Liverpool snatching a late win.

Since Klopp came in, we've won every away game against them. Lost his first two against them at Anfield, the latter, under Big Sam, Liverpool's last home league defeat.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on December 18, 2020, 06:59:52 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 18, 2020, 06:28:43 PM

We've been beating them away repeatedly, but I still always dread it. Always a complete scrap, usually with Liverpool snatching a late win.

Since Klopp came in, we've won every away game against them. Lost his first two against them at Anfield, the latter, under Big Sam, Liverpool's last home league defeat.

Funny the 2014 game didnt really bother me at the time. The league was lost the previous Sunday as far as I was concerned so the fact we were going to lose it on points rather than goal difference was a bit of a "Meh" moment

gawa316

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 18, 2020, 06:39:15 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 18, 2020, 06:34:13 PM

No doubt one of those pesky foreigners taught him that...they've a lot to answer for ruining the beautiful game!
People can make their own minds up...

https://twitter.com/senneh90/status/1339566211764527109?s=21

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.