6 (13.3%)
Cork
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: August 30, 2019, 08:02:14 PM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 01, 2019, 02:34:32 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2019, 02:30:00 PM
Extra time. Tight schedule now. They'll probably cancel the Down jubilee team now

I think Down 94 team are coming out at half time in the senior game. The 1pm start in this match allowed for the possibility of extra time.

Yeah, there was a note in the hurling program that if the minor game went to ET, the Jubilee team would be presented at half time in the senior game. If the minor game finshed in 60 mins, the jubilee team come out between the games.

Blowitupref

Half time in extra time Cork 3-17 Galway 2-14.   1-4 to 0-1 in that 10 mins for Cork probably enough to win this final?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

FT Cork 3-20 Galway 3-14.   Congrats to Cork who add this U17 All Ireland to the U20 AI won a few weeks ago.  Corbett given MOTM.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Hard luck lads. Thought they were marginally the better side in normal time but the late late goal completely knocked the stuffing out of them for extra time. A tough lesson to learn to concede that one but I'm sure they will learn from it.

GaillimhIarthair

Deserved win for Cork minors, we were eaten alive at midfield and just couldn't get enough ball into our forwards the longer the game went on.  Cork much more composed and efficient in their use of the ball in ET.  Hopefully a good few of them push on at U20 level in the coming years.

Cunny Funt

That group of Galway minors are probably sick of the sight of extra time having now lost the Connacht and All Ireland final in extra time.  Would have to question why these U17 games don't go to replay like it use to be at U18 level? then with the senior game afterwards you had a draw and it went straight to a replay. GAA daftness at its best.

Maroon Manc

I also thought Galway were the better team against a team who possessed a lot more height and strength, there's a huge difference between in physicality between the two side. Galway gave their best performance of the year and they needed too to have a chance; Galway didn't have a defender big enough to mark Corbett who was outstanding but its hard to know how good a lad like him will be as he was so much taller and stronger than any Galway defender. The Galway full forward line was excellent, Culhane was outstanding the first 15 and kicked 3 brilliant scores from play but barely got on the ball afterwards whilst Cork couldn't handle Cox at all. I hope he can develop physically although if he does lack height although it didn't hold Kevin McManamon back.

There's a lot of talent coming through the last 2 minor sides I just hope their on the right S & C programme but would worry after seeing the U20's up against Dublin this year.

An Fhairche Abu

Cork physically way ahead of Galway, you can't train natural height and size. Felt that their superiority in this aspect would tell the longer the match went on but it wasn't until ET that this really showed, Galway lads were visibly flagging.
Galway just about shaded the match in regular time but there can be no complaints about the result in ET, once Cork got the goal and tacked on another couple of scores the heads dropped and it was all over, hard to blame them really after the sucker punch at the end of regulation time, it'd knock the stuffing out of seasoned men on a pitch never mind a bunch of kids.
The harshest of lessons for the Cork comeback goal in injury time, for those that make Senior it's better that they get it now than in a big match in 6/7 years time but it's gut wrenching for those young lads involved. Galway were more defensively oriented than I expected for the match so it was a shock to see such space left for the two on two match up then the ball was kicked in. In fairness Corbett looked the standout player for Cork all day and he finished with aplomb. Galway still had that Culhane free chance to sneak it after the goal and they did well to get into another scoring position but it was a difficult free to score.
Breaking ball around midfield was a constant problem all match long, the Galway FF line were going to town once they got any good ball at all but the longer the match went on they saw less and less of it, I thought Tomo Culhane was going to dominate in open play after the first 15-20 minutes but it didn't transpire that way as the match progressed.

Cox was the best player from Galway on the day, toasted his initial maker and then gave the next lad in another doing, great pace and a tidy finisher but doubtful he has the physical attributes for Senior that way it's gone as a game.

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 01, 2019, 08:54:33 PM
There's a lot of talent coming through the last 2 minor sides I just hope their on the right S & C programme but would worry after seeing the U20's up against Dublin this year.
Nail on head here, the last successful Galway minor team was 2007 and we only got a return of one long term, consistent inter county player from that bunch in Conroy, hopefully there'll be a better return from the '16, '18 and '19 losing teams but early returns from '16 don't look good already compared to the 4 or 5 that Kerry have already integrated into their Senior panel (that's accepting that Clifford and O'Shea look like generational talents and will be outliers).

Rossfan

I know it's not much to boast about but Ros were the only team to beat Galway over 60 minutes this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 02, 2019, 01:58:04 PM
Cork physically way ahead of Galway, you can't train natural height and size.

McLaughlin was great in midfield for Galway all year and was good yesterday too but Cork had about 4 lads around the middle third of the field as big as him. Meant we were struggling for primary possession unless we worked a short kick out.

Usually on any good minor team you can pick out 3 or 4 maybe even 5 small lads with the geansai hanging off them. We had a few of them yesterday. I looked at the Cork side and they didn't have one. They all looked like 6 footers across the park.

From a Galway perspective I think Culhane, McLaughlin, McGrath all have a good chance of making it. Hernon too.

Cox was brilliant but I also wonder will he have the size for senior.

Maroon Manc

As AFA has commented it doesn't look like Galway have too many standouts from the 2016 minor team although John Daly was injured for that year and I still think D'Arcy has a great chance as he's still only 20/21. Mulkerrins looks to have regressed and he would have been most peoples high hope although I do like the look of McFadden & Boyle but time will tell.

What I do find strange is that this years Galway minor team looked a fair bit lighter than last years team, this years backs were very very light.

GalwayBayBoy

Blowitupref

Dublin the only quarter finalists that didn't win one.