Favourite player you played with

Started by irunthev, December 14, 2006, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Who is the favourite player you have ever played alongside. Not necessarily the best player but the one that you always liked having beside you. Some unsung hero of a corner back who put in 12 years on the club's senior team, or a keeper that no one ever gave credit to even though he was a real reliable skin at the back of the defence.

My own choice would be a fella called Joe Stack originally from St Finbarrs in Cork. Played with him for years and he was a very accurate corner forward, although a bit on the slow side. No matter, whenever Stackie was on the field , you always thought you had a chance of winning any game, he could conjure all sorts of magic.

umgolaarmagh

Would have to say the Genius that is Mini Holmes, brother of tyrone midfielder

Kerry Mike

Maurice Fitzgerald was very lucky to have me as a team mate on many occasions at U16, Minor and U21 level, 'Tis many the day I carried those teams on my own. Then I found drink and Maurice went on to be come a legend, but seriously even back at U16 level everyone knew he would be a star. He always had that outstanding class and was always able to kick and score off both feet. And a really nice guy to boot.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Over the Bar

I marked PTG at primary school in the Knockconny Cup.  He was 8 and I was 10.  He barely touched leather! (but still managed to score about 6 points)

culchy1

when i was younger, i used 2 go 2 camp dromantine
just outside newry!

played with and against many current county players from all over ulster.

brian mcguigan and fergal doherty were 2 of them!

bottlethrower7

Joe Kelly - legend (I think Turk will agree)

Jack Dempsey

John Sullivan. Junior Player with my club, top man married to my sister. He is my fav. Always pick him when I get captains pick in the 7 a sides. If you are ready this John, ' Hello '

Mayo4Sam

Marked declan browne in freshers, despite pulling and dragging he scored 4 points in the 30 minutes i was on him
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

slow corner back

I had the priviledge to be a clubmate of and play alongside the great Olcan " Cloot" McFetridge on more occasions than I care to remember. For a player who was light years ahead of his team mates he never once just turned up and didnt put in the effort. He was undoubtedly the most committed player we had in all manner of meaningless league games in October in such glamorous places as Feystown Glenarm and Whitehill Randalstown. I once played with him in Randalstown where he personally scored 4-14 and ended up on the loosing side, we conceded 7-15 in total, we were truly abysmal he was magnificent.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on December 14, 2006, 01:10:15 PM
Would have to say the Genius that is Mini Holmes, brother of tyrone midfielder

Funny, I thought you had left by the time Mini joined - but there you go!   ;D

umgolaarmagh

At SPGS Rufus,

and the occassionally game on wellesly avenue about 3:00am

Bud Wiser

Joey Towell who hurled for Dublin for years and who got more stitches in his face and head than a patchwork quilt from going on those solo runs with the head down.  Joe grew up in the flats at O'Devany Gardens on North Circular, became the back bone of Eoghain Ruaidh hurling club and did more for Dublin hurling than anyone I know.  Lost contact with him around '79-'80 and don't know how he is now or where he is.  He proved like that unfortunate young lad that was shot fixing a radiator that every single area of Dublin has lads as good as anywhere in the country and to O'Devany Gardens Joe was a hero to all the young lads at the time.

Goats Do Shave

Paddy McKeever

Kevin Keegan - (Newry City soccer player)

Michael Schmeichal

Met Joey Towell up in the Phoenix Park about a year ago. He was pucking a sliotar against the dressing room walls of the old Eoghn Ruadh pitch. I had a juvenile team with me and I brought them over to him and told them he was the best hurler Dublin ever had. They were sceptical to say the least looking at this auld lad in his 50's with a bit of a belly on him. Then while he was talking to them he flaked the ball straight up about 150 feet in the air. Still chatting away to the young fellas he caught the ball behind his back on the way back down. The boys eyes nearly popped out of there heads. He showed them a few more tricks after that. They were enthralled with him. He is a gentleman and the lads are still talking about him.

Bud Wiser

If you see him again tell him Tom Fennelly was asking for him please.