TV3 get slice of GAA action

Started by laoisgaa, November 29, 2007, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 29, 2007, 08:34:15 PM
Well I guess competition is a good thing but in the case of TV3 I'll make an exception. Their coverage of soccer has been woeful in the past and there was so many ad breaks during their rugby world cup coverage that I decided to watch all the games on Setanta.

Exactly - there make a hash of everything to do with sport. They talk for 30 seconds followed by 3 minutes of ad's. Pity they dont stick to what they excel at - soaps

Gnevin

I quite enjoyed their Grass roots of the GAA thing . Depends who they get to cover this .

My bet is Val Andrews
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Does anyone have a list of all the packages the gaa are selling off?  Apparently there are 25 different packages up for grabs, lets hope one of them requires better national league highlights coverage, not to mention club coverage.

turk

Brilliant,

aidan cooney and all the fat lads stuffed in behind the desk.

will keith barr be back on as analyst?

Bogball XV

Quote from: ziggysego on November 29, 2007, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 29, 2007, 10:54:53 PM
Large swathes of Derry don't get TV3 or TG4 - another great move from the GAA.

Wait and see what the BBC and UTV get out of the new deal first.

As for Derry not getting TV3 or TG4, you can hardly blame the GAA for that.
No, Ziggy, I'm not blaming the GAA for that, I'm blaming them for taking the decision to sell rights to a company who cannot guarantee all island coverage.  They should be aware of these problems - is TV3 and TG4 available in Belfast for example?

stpauls

if you have Virgin, you can get RTE 1 & 2, and TG4. no TV3 though!!

DickyRock

Same with Sky. TG4 is also broadcast from one of the masts in belfast

magpie seanie

Quoteaidan cooney and all the fat lads stuffed in behind the desk.

I suppose them lads pretending they know the first thing about GAA won't be as bad as Spillane anyway.

ziggysego

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 30, 2007, 11:44:22 AM
Quoteaidan cooney and all the fat lads stuffed in behind the desk.

I suppose them lads pretending they know the first thing about GAA won't be as bad as Spillane anyway.

Prehaps Paddy Heaney will get a job on TV3 ;)
Testing Accessibility

scalder

I think this just points up the need for better transmitters on the border or for a rebroadcasting arrangment to be put in place with the BBC - is this not part of the GFA?

ziggysego

I've contacted TV3 and Sky Digital on many occasions about the possibility of TV3 joining the Sky Digital format up North. They've no intentions of doing it.

I've also contacted RTÉ, TG4, TV3 and Freeview about the channels being available up North. Again, no intentions of doing so.

Is it possible to manually programme the channels into Freeview, the same way it was possible to do with TG4 on Sky Digital a few years back?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: tram on November 30, 2007, 02:06:06 PM
There is no "manual" programming for Freeview the same way as there is for Sky.

You sure? I'm nearly sure there is. Thought I noticed something about a manual tuning, whenever I was retuning my box to pick up Dave TV. Prehaps I'm misreading it and it does something else.
Testing Accessibility

snatter

Quote from: scalder on November 30, 2007, 01:57:44 PM
I think this just points up the need for better transmitters on the border or for a rebroadcasting arrangment to be put in place with the BBC - is this not part of the GFA?

Nope, unfortunately its NOT part of the GFA. The GFA only applies to TnG.

This impending analogue switch-off in NI and persumably RoI is the main reason why Nordies should start agitating asap to get fair coverage of gaelic games from UTV and BBC.

Freeview transmission ranges are likely to be much smaller than current analogue RTE overspill.
All of a sudden we could find ourselves with no RTE and by extension next to nowt GAA on telly.

Imo, UTV/BBC should partner with one of the southern broadcasters when pitching for the packages.
No reason why TV3/UTV or BBCNI/RTE couldn't simultaneously transmit the same programme.
They've no problem doing it with eastenders, corrie, etc.

ziggysego

So does that mean when the digital switch comes in 2012, the places in the North that can get RTÉ and TG4 will lose them. Or will we still beable to get them via the analogue aertal?
Testing Accessibility