No more Ulster finals in Croke Park?

Started by Star Spangler, December 07, 2006, 09:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: snatter on December 08, 2006, 02:34:47 PM
If Monaghan insist that all future finals are played in Clones, then they ARE dictating to the GAA.
If this development was good enough, it would be able to stand on its own two feet, and not try and force the GAA to sign away its right to stage finals whereever suits best.

Again, this is part of the tendering process. I think they are correct to put clauses in place, not much point in developing a white elephant now is there? Anyways, you seem to be vehemently opposed to the idea of extending Clones yet you haven't really given us any insight into your alternatives?

Evil Genius

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking...icle2065253.ece

Brennan says GAA is committed to proposed Maze stadium
Monday, December 11, 2006

GAA president Nicky Brennan has said the association is fully committed to the sports stadium being proposed for the former site of the Maze Prison in the North.
In a statement today, Mr Brennan said recent speculation to the contrary was unfounded.

The sports stadium is being proposed as part of the redevelopment plans for the former Maze site.

AFAIK, the GAA originally agreed to be the main tenant, both in terms of matches played there and total rent paid. Today's brief statement (above) would appear to reiterate that.

Is there some sort of political (small "p") dispute going on somewhere within GAA circles, either within Ulster, or nationally?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ONeill

In all the years of going to Clones I have to honestly say I've never had a problem with traffic/parking/crowds. A fine venue with lots of historical connotations.

Casement is fine but lacks any sense of pre and post match camaraderie.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Mon

QuoteSt. Tiarnach's Park in the news
12 December 2006

St Tiarnach's Park, Clones has often featured in GAA headlines and the odd time maybe for not the best of reasons but as the venue for practically every Ulster final since 1944 it was never far from the GAA mindset.

The development of new stadia, particularly those with floodlighting systems is a major item on the GAA agenda at the moment. By the turn of the year four pitches, Ballybofey, Omagh, Casement Park and Breffni Park will have state-of-the-art floodlighting systems in operation with a couple of others to follow a such as Newry and Armagh in 2007. The revamped Brewster Park in Enniskillen where work is on-going will also have a system up to match standards which would leave Monaghan as the only county without a floodlit stadium.

There was much debate and indeed at times heated debate and comment in the public arena when the last three Ulster finals were switched to Croke Park, thereby prompting the powers that be at local level to look at a redevelopment of the long-standing premier venue in the province. To that end a special committee was set up locally in Monaghan with representatives from Monaghan County Board, the business interests of Clones and the wider business community in Monaghan as well as representatives of local political parties, to investigate the possibility of securing some funding for an upgrade to St. Tiarnach's Park.

What would be needed would be a scheme that would increase the capacity from just under 35,000 at the moment to somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000 and practically all seated, as well as a floodlighting system up to television standards. Costs in the region of 30 to 40 million euro have been suggested but central to any funding that might be forthcoming from government or lottery sources would be an undertaking from the Ulster Council that the Ulster finals, except in exceptional circumstances, would be back in Clones. Monaghan County Board chairman, John Connolly raised this matter at last year's county convention in Monaghan and subsequently with the Ulster Council and he is one of the people pushing hard to see this become a reality. "We would hope that the government would come up with funding in the region of 12 to 14 million euro and that the bulk of the remaining costs would be met from within the GAA at provincial and national level. We have already discussed this with representatives of the Ulster Council and we will be seeking another meeting with them very shortly. The Minister for Sport and Tourism, John O'Donoghue was in Monaghan recently to open the New Leisure Centre in Monaghan town and in a short meeting with him we broached the subject and he showed more than a passing interest to say the least.

However the condition about the return of the Ulster final would be central to that because without the final coming back the revamped stadium could be seen as something of a white elephant. The upgrading of Clones and getting the Ulster finals back there has been very high on my agenda since I became chairman of Monaghan County Board and it will continue to be there. I would be hopeful that next year's final could be staged there because all the teams that attract the biggest followings are on the one side of the draw but a redeveloped Clones could also stage many other matches and indeed other activities particularly if we had floodlights. The committee that I am on locally has investigated this to the extent that we have had sketches done of what we would propose as part of the development by increasing the seating capacity all around the ground. I would be the first to acknowledge that what was sufficient 10 years ago, maybe even five years ago is no longer adequate as far as what people attending our games want. People need to be comfortable, they need to be seated and we have to also allow for families who wish to attend our games. I realise it's an ambitious project but if everyone is committed I am very confident that we can make progress and that we will see the Ulster finals once again being staged in the province of Ulster".