Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Shane only came on at half time in that game and was deep most of the time from what I could make out - but we were playing against a gale in that half.
On the points re Michael Daly - there's no doubt he has talent but he has absolutely 100% not been one of our better forwards over the last few seasons.
He has been a disappointment so far at senior level.
Playing wing forward a lot of the time hasn't helped him as he hasn't the pace to track bombing wing backs.
As already mentioned our inability to retain our own kick outs is a huge problem. We had this problem under Kevin Walsh as well so it's not something new but seems to be even worse this year.
Also for me we are extremely light on competent man markers in our defence.
There's just so many players not in form it's hard to see us pulling it out of the bag.
Stranger things have happened though I suppose

An Fhairche Abu

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1109/1177076-comer-out-of-connacht-final-confirms-joyce/

Comer out for Sunday. Brannigan, Varley and Steede also on the injury list so their status up in the air.

larryin89

" Hamstring injuries take four to six weeks so unless a miracle happens between now and Sunday, we probably won't see him.".

Be interesting to see what others make of that , personally I wouldn't pass one bit of heed of p Joyce if I were James Horan and presume all are available for Galway .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: galwayman on November 09, 2020, 10:04:11 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 09, 2020, 08:34:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2020, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2020, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: galwayman on November 08, 2020, 05:42:14 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2020, 04:28:55 PM
That's the worst I've see the Rossies play in a long time. No game plan at all, we had it all our own way. Wouldn't read too much into it

Don't believe missing the Sligo game will make one difference to Galway. It's an advantage if anything, chance to rectify the shambles that was Tuam
Seriously have you played championship football before - at club level I mean?
Going into a game cold is absolutely of zero benefit.
I'd much prefer to play three weeks on the bounce if I was a player

Not sure what me playing championship football has to do with it

It will suit Galway a lot better to be planning for Mayo for three weeks rather than having to deal with little more than a challenge match against Sligo

And FWIW I've a senior county and provincial club medal  8)

There's a guy in my club has one, worst footballer ever!!

It was more that this galway lad seems to think I need one to have a valid opinion
Not what I meant at all - didn't mean it to come across that way.
Each to their own but genuinely as a player I would have fancied my teams chances a lot less going into a game with no meaningful preparation.
We would have beaten Sligo I have no doubt but we would at least have had a game to blow off some more cobwebs.
It does make a difference in terms of match fitness and sharpness.
No amount of A v B training games can replicate it.

Fair enough, I took that up wrong
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on November 10, 2020, 10:15:33 AM
" Hamstring injuries take four to six weeks so unless a miracle happens between now and Sunday, we probably won't see him.".

Be interesting to see what others make of that , personally I wouldn't pass one bit of heed of p Joyce if I were James Horan and presume all are available for Galway .

If Galway are throwing a half injured Comer into the fray - in a similar fashion to the disastrous Mayo match in Limerick last year where he made no impact and clearly shouldn't have been on the pitch - then it's a lost cause.
Other Galway players must make the step up to the high level required for top end Senior IC and make a name for themselves Sunday.

galwayman

Lads Comer won't be playing. End of.
If he comes on he'll be gone off again within 5 mins with a recurrence.
I don't think Pj is foolish enough to do it.
I certainly hope not anyway

sid waddell

Quote from: larryin89 on November 09, 2020, 09:28:07 PM
Why the sudden downbeat narrative about Galway , where has it come from , cause of a poxy league game in Tuam that Galway couldn't be arsed laying a glove on the likes of mark Moran who has hardly played two full games yet .

More to this shite than meets the eye , Joyce is a shrewd ruthless business man irl , I suspect  he's taken that into football management with him along with plenty of advice from Donegal jimmy . Anyone that thinks it will be anything like the Galway from the Tuam game is in for a right shock come Sunday afternoon.
The narrative about Galway is down to them continually flunking it in big games against moderate enough opposition over the last four years

Tipperary 2016
Roscommon 2017
Monaghan 2018
Roscommon 2019

At one stage in 2018 it looked as if they might kick on but Monaghan knocked them right back on their feet

They didn't lay a glove on Dublin or Mayo in 2018 and 2019 and in the Mayo game last year they were bullied from literally before the first whistle

That's why there are serious question marks about them

Plus Mayo are a team that are already battle hardened since inter-county action started again and have historically been at their best after playing multiple weeks in a row

Blowitupref

Quote from: sid waddell on November 10, 2020, 12:55:36 PM
Why the sudden downbeat narrative about Galway , where has it come from , cause of a poxy league game in Tuam that Galway couldn't be arsed laying a glove on the likes of mark Moran who has hardly played two full games yet .

More to this shite than meets the eye , Joyce is a shrewd ruthless business man irl , I suspect  he's taken that into football management with him along with plenty of advice from Donegal jimmy . Anyone that thinks it will be anything like the Galway from the Tuam game is in for a right shock come Sunday afternoon.
The narrative about Galway is down to them continually flunking it in big games against moderate enough opposition over the last four years

Tipperary 2016
Roscommon 2017
Monaghan 2018
Roscommon 2019

At one stage in 2018 it looked as if they might kick on but Monaghan knocked them right back on their feet

They didn't lay a glove on Dublin or Mayo in 2018 and 2019 and in the Mayo game last year they were bullied from literally before the first whistle

Plus Mayo are a team that are already battle hardened since inter-county action started again and have historically been at their best after playing multiple weeks in a row

The defeat to Tipperary is the hardest to explain, maybe Galway lost the run of themselves as in 2016 that was their first Connacht success for 8 years

Has been a good rivalry built up between Roscommon and Galway, played in the last 4 Connacht finals and shared 2 titles each, it's been the same in the pre season FBD.

Monaghan defeat was a dead rubber match for Galway as they were already into the All-Ireland semi final and in that semi final Galway was competitive 1st half only for Dublin to stroll to victory in the 2nd half the same happened for Mayo in the semi final last year.

Last year Mayo got off to a flying start 2-2 to 0-1 after 10 minutes from which Galway never recovered from. Prior to that match Galway beat Mayo in the championship three years in a row so Mayo will  feel they got the monkey off their back with that win last summer,   why that qualifier match wasn't played in Connacht is still a bit puzzling.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

I think the big problem Galway will have against Mayo is there are at a distinct disadvantage athletically and intercounty football is increasingly about athleticism. Power, pace, dynamism, whatever you want to call it. I believe the Galway lads are just as good a footballers as the Mayo lads but we just don't have the horses athletically at the minute. Mayo probably have 5 or 6 really good athletes in their side. Keegan, Mullin, Durcan, Ruane, O'Shea, etc. And you could make a case for a couple others. Lads who have pace, can run all day and are strong enough to break tackles. O'Shea isn't quick but he's a powerful athlete.

I can't think of many good athletes on the Galway side. Shane Walsh for sure. Brannigan has pace and athletic ability even though he can be erratic. Maybe Sean Kelly at the back. Conroy at least has strength. McDaid had it at underage but we haven't seen enough of it at senior. That's it. Ironically probably two of the best athletes we have won't even be available. Comer is injured and Peter Cooke who kicked 0-4 from play against Mayo last year is over in the US for the year.

That's really the winning and losing of the game. You need those athletes at the top end in intercounty and we just don't have them. It's much less important at club level which is why Corofin, a club that actually don't have many good athletes (bar Daithi Burke who is a hurler first and foremost) can dominate. At club it's more about the football but football alone won't get it done at the top level of intercounty these days. You need to be able to run at pace and have power. Not all your players but enough of them.

It's no coincidence that the Galway hurlers finally made the breakthrough when they had a team full of big powerful athletes. Who were also well able to hurl. But the Galway footballers don't have the athletic ability of the Galway hurlers at the moment.

So I can't see a way Galway can win this bar some shenanigans with a tactical set up that negates Mayo's strengths. If the game goes up and down the pitch all afternoon then there is likely only one winner in the end. I think they could make it difficult for Mayo if they approach the game with a renewed intensity and work rate which you would hope to see after the last game but intensity and work rate have not always been there for Galway in recent years. Sometimes it's there. Sometimes it's not so it's difficult to rely on it. I think we'll have a good idea after the first 10 minutes whether they've turned up for this one.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 10, 2020, 02:18:25 PM
I think the big problem Galway will have against Mayo is there are at a distinct disadvantage athletically and intercounty football is increasingly about athleticism.
I said pretty much the same here already on that point but the key thing here as well is that those Mayo players also have the football in them as well to compliment that athleticism.

Tipperary 2016
Roscommon 2017
Monaghan 2018
Roscommon 2019

Lot of truth there, would disregard the Monaghan match as that was an odd game and situation. The idea that it sank them for the next match against Dublin doesn't ring true to me, Galway put in a performance that was fine in the 1st half of that Dublin semi-final but the execution in front of the posts was appalling, created plenty of chances and played alright. To fair the Dubs did in the second half what they do to most teams.
You could add in Mayo 2019 to that list, a terrible outing for Galway.

rosnarun

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 10, 2020, 02:14:46 PM
Why the sudden downbeat narrative about Galway , where has it come from , cause of a poxy league game in Tuam that Galway couldn’t be arsed laying a glove on the likes of mark Moran who has hardly played two full games yet .

More to this shite than meets the eye , Joyce is a shrewd ruthless business man irl , I suspect  he’s taken that into football management with him along with plenty of advice from Donegal jimmy . Anyone that thinks it will be anything like the Galway from the Tuam game is in for a right shock come Sunday afternoon.

Tipperary 2016
Roscommon 2017
Monaghan 2018
Roscommon 2019

The defeat to Tipperary is the hardest to explain, maybe Galway lost the run of themselves as in 2016 that was their first Connacht success for 8 years

Has been a good rivalry built up between Roscommon and Galway, played in the last 4 Connacht finals and shared 2 titles each, it's been the same in the pre season FBD.

Monaghan defeat was a dead rubber match for Galway as they were already into the All-Ireland semi final and in that semi final Galway was competitive 1st half only for Dublin to stroll to victory in the 2nd half the same happened for Mayo in the semi final last year.

Last year Mayo got off to a flying start 2-2 to 0-1 after 10 minutes from which Galway never recovered from. Prior to that match Galway beat Mayo in the championship three years in a row so Mayo will  feel they got the monkey off their back with that win last summer,   why that qualifier match wasn't played in Connacht is still a bit puzzling.
That was a very good tipp Team aand I would not write them off against Cork.Tipps biggest problem(apart from their own county board) is getting there best players togged out . they did so in 2016 and look like they have this year again. plus they are still arrogant tipp f**kers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

sid waddell

It was a very good team by Tipperary's historical standards of being a minnow

But in the real sense they were far from a top team

I think Galway will go full Jim McGuinness in this game because it is a tactic they have had success with against Mayo in the past, if they play an open game, Durcan and Keegan will kill them

Any time Galway play Mayo, they have to stop Mayo's running game as an absolute priority

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: sid waddell on November 10, 2020, 03:50:12 PM

I think Galway will go full Jim McGuinness in this game because it is a tactic they have had success with against Mayo in the past, if they play an open game, Durcan and Keegan will kill them

Any time Galway play Mayo, they have to stop Mayo's running game as an absolute priority
There is zero chance of PJ implementing such a game plan, that is absolutely not his football philosophy and never will be.............

galwayman

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 10, 2020, 04:10:16 PM

There is zero chance of PJ implementing such a game plan, that is absolutely not his football philosophy and never will be.............
I would usually agree with you on that but it has to be said we played a lot more conservatively against Dublin in the last league game.
With the gale force wind behind us we got a lot of bodies back.
Not enough men up front I thought at the time.
Wouldn't have happened most likely but for what happened in Tuam the week before granted.

Cunny Funt

Which McGuinness game?  Under his watch they conceded 4-17 to Mayo in one game.

Key for Galway in their last 3 Connacht championship matches and wins against Mayo was a well organised defence. Under Kevin Walsh Galway made themselves hard to score against and beat and all Mayo scored in those games was 0-12,1-11, 0-12

Now they have a manager that doesn't seem to have a big focus on defence and I think that will suit Mayo who I'd expect to score in the region of 18 to 20 points on Sunday unless PJ changes his game plan/system of play.