Who will stop this Dublin team from 4, 5, 6 or more in a row?

Started by Muck Savage, September 19, 2017, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

Quote from: TheGreatest on October 02, 2017, 09:04:36 AM
Stop them by cheatingly changing the rules of the game !
There's a bigger danger that they'll be suffocated under the weight of bulls**t that you are emitting.

Dublin are a great side. They have adapted to rule changes such as the "Mark" without any visible problems. They will adapt to the new kick-out rule too. They will be beaten eventually by a better team, retirements, injuries and a diminution of hunger that affects all winning sides. In the meantime, why don't you just enjoy them and be glad you don't support one of the weaker counties in the country.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 30, 2017, 12:39:33 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 30, 2017, 10:33:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2017, 11:14:58 AM
The first unbeatable team I was aware of was Kerry.

The first unbeatable team that I was aware of was Galway 1964/1966.  ;)
Unfortunately another great Mayo side ran up against them at that time and were generally agreed to be the number two team in the country. Jimmy Duggan who won a county senior club title with Claremorris in Mayo in 1965 declared for Galway after being overlooked by Mayo minor selectors.

Ye lost to Sligo in 1965 and in 1964 were hammered in the Connacht final after Galway had beaten us narrowly. Ye only beat us after a replay in 1966 and in fairness did run Galway to a point but if anyone can lay claim to the 2nd best team in the country argument in that era it's Sligo.

mup

If you are like this after winning the All Ireland then God help us all if you happen to lose one.

Never have I come across such whinging from supporters of a team who just won Sam.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 02, 2017, 02:24:45 PM
There's a bigger danger that they'll be suffocated under the weight of bulls**t that you are emitting.

Dublin are a great side. They have adapted to rule changes such as the "Mark" without any visible problems. They will adapt to the new kick-out rule too. They will be beaten eventually by a better team, retirements, injuries and a diminution of hunger that affects all winning sides. In the meantime, why don't you just enjoy them and be glad you don't support one of the weaker counties in the country.
I don't see a better team coming along anytime soon or indeed for as long as the All Ireland Championship is worth fighting for. Offaly is half bog and half hurling and the overall population is tiny, yet it won three All Irelands.
The Biffos were the best team around in those years and they won on talent alone as they didn't have the proverbial pot to piss in.
There's no way they'd win a Leinster , never mind a Sam Maguire and that's down to lack of money, first and foremost.
Dublin are a fine team but it takes money as well as talent to keep them where they are and no other county can ever hope to have the same resources. They have a population twice the province of Connacht so I guess they have less difficulty in fielding talent players than any other in the land.
Look, when you leave out the mutual bitching and recriminations that we've had since the last final, one fact stands out. Dublin's bench won it for them. They will always have a number of young fellas coming along and challenging for places on the team.
Mayo's first fifteen is as good as Dublin's but their bench is nowhere as strong. Established players will strive to hold on to their places.The competition for places on the team will be fierce year on year and I can't see the team losing its edge ever because of this.
And I'm not anti-Dublin either. Political and economic changes see it it that Dublin will keep growing in every conceivable way whereas the rest of the county will lag behind and the gap is steadily widening.
Mayo and any other county would do the same if they got the chance to do so.
BTW, if some don't support the weaker teams, the gap will grow even quicker and inter county football will lose out bigtime.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Have you ,or the GAA any suggestions as to how the playing field can be levelled?
If, as is likely,  the future is Dublin winning 19 out of 20 Leinster, 7 (at least) out of 10 All Irelands, 7 or 8 out of 10 NFL. ..... what's the point?
And don't tell me that appointing centrally funded coaches or GDOs  in Leitrim or Fermanagh will sort it all out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on October 03, 2017, 11:46:23 AM
Have you ,or the GAA any suggestions as to how the playing field can be levelled?
If, as is likely,  the future is Dublin winning 19 out of 20 Leinster, 7 (at least) out of 10 All Irelands, 7 or 8 out of 10 NFL. ..... what's the point?
And don't tell me that appointing centrally funded coaches or GDOs  in Leitrim or Fermanagh will sort it all out.

This is an issue much bigger than the GAA and one the GAA cannot fix. The (deliberate)* centralisation of so much commercial activity in Dublin is to blame. I was encourage to see Leo and co discussing the possibility of creating a new major city in the midlands or north west. It's 25 years too late and probably will be like most of what Leo does - sounds great but no follow through.

* I say deliberate because no effort has been made to the contrary. I think it suits politicians. They're not the ones stuck in crazy commutes. I don't know how anyone lives there.