Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Used to see that flown at Cork games. Given the atrocities committed by Imperial Japan should we decry it's use as well?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

sid waddell

The confederate flag should be treated as a Nazi flag would be treated.

It's not a bit of craic.

I'd much prefer if Cork supporters flew the English flag.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: trileacman on August 15, 2017, 12:35:20 AM

Used to see that flown at Cork games. Given the atrocities committed by Imperial Japan should we decry it's use as well?

Yes because why jusy why? 😂😂 do cork not make flags
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trileacman on August 15, 2017, 12:32:09 AM
f**k people like to get offended by f**k all. I'm sure the millions of African-American langers were very upset by the Confederate flag at the game.  ::)

"F**k all?"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Flying the Confederate Flag feeds into the delusional Langer narrative that they're the 'Rebel County', totally obliviously to events in the wider world. The real question is: why do they still cleave to that ridiculously out-dated misconception -- my sock is more rebellious than they have been for many a year, dyed in the wool arch-conventionalists as they have long been! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mup

Quote from: trileacman on August 15, 2017, 12:35:20 AM

Not to mention those suffering the after effects of a days drinking and the extra spicy curry from the local Chinese Restaurant on the way home.

Taylor

People are actually going out of their way to be offended by things & now in the age of the Internet they can cry even louder about it.
Seriously, who gives a flying f**k what flag they fly at games?

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on August 15, 2017, 09:14:37 AM
People are actually going out of their way to be offended by things & now in the age of the Internet they can cry even louder about it.
Cool, I'll bring a Nazi flag to a match to see how this "point" bears out.

OakleafCounty

Criticising anyone for having a Confederate flag because white supremacists use it is like criticising people who fly tricolours or starry plough flags because dissident republicans identify with them. I think one of the main leaders of the Confederate army was Cork born and plenty of Irish men died fighting in that army and Cork fans have been flying it along with many others for decades offending nobody until now.

sid waddell

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 15, 2017, 09:33:24 AM
Criticising anyone for having a Confederate flag because white supremacists use it is like criticising people who fly tricolours or starry plough flags because dissident republicans identify with them. I think one of the main leaders of the Confederate army was Cork born and plenty of Irish men died fighting in that army and Cork fans have been flying it along with many others for decades offending nobody until now.
The confederate flag isn't merely "a flag that white supremacists use".

It is a racist, white supremacist flag.

The poisonous ideology of racist white supremacism is indivisible from it.

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on August 15, 2017, 12:36:41 AM

It's not a bit of craic.

FFS! Power to the people comrade!

newsflash kid, if people 4,000 miles away from the deep south raise a confederate flag at an amateur sporting event, it is not necessarily to support white supremacists, it might be, and I could be wrong here, be flown to signify the fact that the county they support are known as the rebels, rebels in fact, that predate the American civil war, were was the faux outrage before the liberal media decided the confederate flag was vile and evil? The confederate flag flying in Croke park has absolutely no ties to any American political agenda, tha should be enough but sadly it is not.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2017, 10:24:30 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 15, 2017, 12:36:41 AM

It's not a bit of craic.

FFS! Power to the people comrade!

newsflash kid, if people 4,000 miles away from the deep south raise a confederate flag at an amateur sporting event, it is not necessarily to support white supremacists, it might be, and I could be wrong here, be flown to signify the fact that the county they support are known as the rebels, rebels in fact, that predate the American civil war, were was the faux outrage before the liberal media decided the confederate flag was vile and evil? The confederate flag flying in Croke park has absolutely no ties to any American political agenda, tha should be enough but sadly it is not.
Yes, and should any Kildare supporters decide to don KKK-style hoods at a match, that would be purely because those hoods are the same colours as the Kildare team, and nothing racist at all should be read into it.

Or something like that.

The swastika symbol predates the Nazis by thousands of years. Therefore if I fly a swastika flag, it should not be assumed that it is tied to any political agenda.

Or something something.

thefont

This one isn't too hard lads surely? Times change - move with the times.

I've lived in America and would consider myself fairly informed on the nature of racial tensions there but being honest I never would have connected the confederate flag being flown at sports games with white supremacism - but now I do.

It was a bit of craic and no offense was/is intended but now it's over. It's no major blow to the ego to admit you were a bit ignorant about something when you come to know better finally.

To the 'pc gone mad' crowd, I think a look in the mirror is warranted.  What about the rangers fans flying orange order flags and the like at matches. Sure it's only a bit of craic, as it the Orange order itself. A nice day out and a bit of music, it's been going for hundreds of years and the world hasn't ended.

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on August 15, 2017, 09:16:49 AM
Quote from: Taylor on August 15, 2017, 09:14:37 AM
Cool, I'll bring a Nazi flag to a match to see how this "point" bears out.

Nice one. Let me know so I have enough time to grow the tache.

Dire Ear

If they can spell "confederate", they can fly it  ;D