Eir Classic GAA

Started by AZOffaly, August 10, 2017, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Anyone watching these? Brilliant stuff. I taped them all so far I think. Just watched the First half of Antrim Offaly in 1989. How did we lose that game? Maybe allowing Cloot go nuts had something to do with it.

Dublin Galway 83 is there. Leitrim Mayo 94, Clare Kerry 92, Meath Down 91. It's great to watch them.

Ball Hopper

Some good stuff on youtube as well under "PJ's Classic GAA Channel"

https://www.youtube.com/user/athbhriainabu11/videos

Main Street

That 1991  Meath Down game is still a nail biter.

Gaffer

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
Anyone watching these? Brilliant stuff. I taped them all so far I think. Just watched the First half of Antrim Offaly in 1989. How did we lose that game? Maybe allowing Cloot go nuts had something to do with it.

Dublin Galway 83 is there. Leitrim Mayo 94, Clare Kerry 92, Meath Down 91. It's great to watch them.

When are these programmes on?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

AZOffaly

Seems to be a bit erratic, like a filler. Search on the schedule for Classic GAA.

sambostar

Normally 9.30pm, I've watched a good few. Some notable changes from today's game even apart from the obvious change from 15-on-15 and once you get it just hoof it down the pitch as far as you can!

In the Down V Meath final there was only about 30 seconds injury time played. There were men down in the 2nd half a few times & also a raft of substitutions. Crazy to think you could just run down the clock by bringing on suns or staying down for some physio treatment. But it seems like simpler times - no complaints from Meath when the ref blew it up

AZOffaly

It's relatively recent, but the hurling has change dramatically as well. Even the shape of the hurleys is mad different. The varying degrees of 'helmetedness', with accompanying blood work is dramatic. Finally even the style of hurling is so different. Keep the ball moving, ground hurling was the order of the day. The ball only went to the hand if there was acres of space. Also a pile of batting down of high balls. Very interesting to see.

RedHand88

How do your get this channel? Is it a separate subscription? Don't have it in sky.

AZOffaly

I have the BT Sports package, and it comes with that.

RedHand88

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2017, 10:56:27 AM
I have the BT Sports package, and it comes with that.

Ah I see. Don't have that. Thinking of switching to bt internet to get those channels.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2017, 09:42:37 AM
It's relatively recent, but the hurling has change dramatically as well. Even the shape of the hurleys is mad different. The varying degrees of 'helmetedness', with accompanying blood work is dramatic. Finally even the style of hurling is so different. Keep the ball moving, ground hurling was the order of the day. The ball only went to the hand if there was acres of space. Also a pile of batting down of high balls. Very interesting to see.
Yeah, way the play zipped to different areas of the field was like pinball. I can see why players were reluctant to get the ball to hand in heavy traffic. You'd have the wrist worn off you.

AZOffaly

It was very entertaining too. You know sometimes when you see an old game of Football or Soccer, even Rugby, it seems very slow compared to the modern game. I think the hurling was actually a quicker game back then because of the way it was played. Helter Skelter definitely, and not exactly a possession based game :) but it was entertaining and exciting.

GaillimhIarthair

Mayo v Dublin from 2006 on tonight.

bogball88

Kerry v Dublin 2001 Semple Stadium tonight 9.30pm.

AZOffaly

Maurice Fitz sideline ball. Class.