Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

A depressing day and a sobering day. Tyrone are a long way behind Dublin who just demolished our gameplan with relative ease. I was immensely impressed by them and have no complaints whatsoever and we were lucky that the margin wasn't greater. I think the analysis about what now for Tyrone is best saved for another day but I was very disappointed that we didn't press the Dublin kick out or at least try and push our defensive blanket further out the pitch. The Dubs pulled everyone back at times but at least they pressed beyond the 45 whereas we were far too deep. Sadly the game was over after the first goal and our lack of any plan B came back to haunt us. Well done Dublin, an exceptional team - when you are 10 points up and bringing on Flynn, McMannamam and Connelly with Brogan still on the bench then you know that things are fairly comfortable.

Favourite moment of the day was the great reception for Eric Lowndes. I didn't realise he was so highly regarded in Dublin.
That was never a square ball!!

balladmaker

Let today be the death knell for the blanket defence, and also for the stifling of a players natural ability and instinct in favour of a pre-programmed style of play.  The Tyrone version of blanket defence is dead, long live footballing talent and class!

Rois

Just in, utterly deflated.
The Dublin team is awesome. We all knew that Dublin had to have a bad day and Tyrone a very good one, and the opposite panned out.
On athleticism and skill, Dublin definitely deserve to win Sam.

JoG2

Quote from: Whishtup on August 27, 2017, 08:42:46 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 27, 2017, 06:18:20 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 27, 2017, 05:46:02 PM
Not a surprise but made worse by Tyrone having their worst game of the championship with unforced errors.  The eulogising by the commentators is nauseous.  The inbability of them to call out any Dublin cynicism is infuriating. Well done Dublin. Cannot see Mayo  living with this...

Ach houl yer tongue! 1 point separated Mayo and Dublin last year after 150 odd minutes. Take your tanking on the chin  and move on.

Dublin's patience and clinical finishing has improved much from last year.  They will spray the ball around the field for 5 minutes (sucking the life out of the opposition) until the chance comes to score if needs be. I cannot see Mayo living with this.
As for taking a tanking on the chin, this is hardly relevant as Tyrone were totally outplayed.  I'm allowed to call out sh1t commentating, though.

You can surely. Look, all the big hitters are as cynical as each other. When you watch it live, up close and personal, it's crazy.. Donegal under Mcguinness, Dublin, Tyrone, Mayo, much of a muchness. Probably the most cynical team I've seen recently was Dr Crokes against Slaughtneil in last years club final. The run of the mill cynicism isn't mentioned too often in fairness. Where Crokes called out on? Don't often hear any team called out on it. Now the crazy stuff, kung fu kicks, dropping knees and the like will be mentioned, how could they not, regardless of who it is ? I don't really buy into the whole 'Kerry media', 'Dublin media' etc... As for the u-google-izing, that's because Dublin are unbelievable to watch

On another note, many posters are saying this is the end of the blanket defence. Can't see it. Most teams playing the likes of Dublin will still use it as it's damage limitation stuff. Call it short sighted, defeatist, whatever, but that's the sad reality of it. 

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 27, 2017, 08:45:59 PM
Well, I'm not feeling bullish about Mayo's prospects for the final but I certainly am not bearish, if that's the word, either.
Unless I am missing something, Dublin haven't had a tough game since they lost the league final to Kerry, around six months ago. On the other hand, Mayo has been living on the edge since they managed to beat Sligo. They suffered a loss to Galway and were pushed to the limit in every other game until yesterday. Much the same routine as last year when they took the Dubs to a replay and the issue was in doubt until the last kick of the ball. Furthermore, very few would disagree that Dublin had a fair share of luck before coming out on top.
Anyway, that's history. Now Mayo has certainly improved since last year's final and it's hard to say whether Dublin are better or than they were back then.
A fairly reliable source told me that in between the Roscommon games, Rochford discussed tactics with some, if not all, players and the improvements was plain to be seen. I was also told that planting Aido on Donaghy was the players' idea.
Can't swear to this but my source is pretty reliable.
I'm more confident of a win now than I was a year ago but that's about the height of it.

Mayo are better but unfortunately so are Dublin. I still think last year was your chance but may he bet team win the final

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on August 27, 2017, 08:51:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 27, 2017, 08:45:59 PM
Well, I'm not feeling bullish about Mayo's prospects for the final but I certainly am not bearish, if that's the word, either.
Unless I am missing something, Dublin haven't had a tough game since they lost the league final to Kerry, around six months ago. On the other hand, Mayo has been living on the edge since they managed to beat Sligo. They suffered a loss to Galway and were pushed to the limit in every other game until yesterday. Much the same routine as last year when they took the Dubs to a replay and the issue was in doubt until the last kick of the ball. Furthermore, very few would disagree that Dublin had a fair share of luck before coming out on top.
Anyway, that's history. Now Mayo has certainly improved since last year's final and it's hard to say whether Dublin are better or than they were back then.
A fairly reliable source told me that in between the Roscommon games, Rochford discussed tactics with some, if not all, players and the improvements was plain to be seen. I was also told that planting Aido on Donaghy was the players' idea.
Can't swear to this but my source is pretty reliable.
I'm more confident of a win now than I was a year ago but that's about the height of it.
Fake news Lar.

Playing that sort of game plan against Dublin in Croke Park is madness. You'll be eaten alive sooner or later....have Tyrone not even taken note of the Leinster championship or even the Monaghan 1/4 final? Setting up like Tyrone did today might give you a shot on a pissy day in Omagh in February but that's about it.
Not so sure about that. My buddy is a member of Breaffy club. You'd hardly expect anyone to put O'Shea on Paddy Andrews but it's a case of horses for courses.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

balladmaker

Also, what consolation is an Ulster Title to Tyrone tonight?  Shows the irrelevance of the provincial system.

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2017, 08:53:57 PM
A depressing day and a sobering day. Tyrone are a long way behind Dublin who just demolished our gameplan with relative ease. I was immensely impressed by them and have no complaints whatsoever and we were lucky that the margin wasn't greater. I think the analysis about what now for Tyrone is best saved for another day but I was very disappointed that we didn't press the Dublin kick out or at least try and push our defensive blanket further out the pitch. The Dubs pulled everyone back at times but at least they pressed beyond the 45 whereas we were far too deep. Sadly the game was over after the first goal and our lack of any plan B came back to haunt us. Well done Dublin, an exceptional team - when you are 10 points up and bringing on Flynn, McMannamam and Connelly with Brogan still on the bench then you know that things are fairly comfortable.

Favourite moment of the day was the great reception for Eric Lowndes. I didn't realise he was so highly regarded in Dublin.

Cult hero.
Great fans.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ringfort

I thought as a neutral it was shocking to watch. I can't stand this possession recycling stuff. Watching fellas boom over points with unerring accuracy doesn't thrill me either. I'd sooner a blood n guts club game, 1-9 to 0-12 type stuff with a healthy mix of the ridiculous and the sublime. The Dubs bore the fuckin life out of me. Fair play to them and all that. But f**k them. Making a balls of the championship since they went pro.

Zulu

It isn't good to watch but it's the best solution to the awful blanket defences. Hopefully, the better teams will now see that massed defensive tactics are useless and revert back to more conventional set ups.

lenny

Quote from: balladmaker on August 27, 2017, 08:59:03 PM
Let today be the death knell for the blanket defence, and also for the stifling of a players natural ability and instinct in favour of a pre-programmed style of play.  The Tyrone version of blanket defence is dead, long live footballing talent and class!

I agree and I think we'll see a cracking final. Both teams will go at it hell for leather and I have a feeling this could be mayos year. Dublin are an excellent team no doubt but I think the hunger could win it for mayo.

ONeill

Jeez I dunno what you're seeing. I saw Dublin on countless occasions having ALL players within their own 45, never mind half. Their version of the blanket is just more attractive.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 09:41:23 PM
Jeez I dunno what you're seeing. I saw Dublin on countless occasions having ALL players within their own 45, never mind half. Their version of the blanket is just more attractive.

Don't go ruining Zulu's point.

RedHand88

Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2017, 07:41:13 PM
A few things from today.

Dublin did something very similar to what Kerry did to Donegal in the 2014 final. They completely mirrored their opponents' system of play and just did it better; indeed, much better. The early goal basically finished Tyrone as they're set up entirely as a counter attacking side, and from that moment in time were completely out of their comfort zone.

It was odd just how much better control of the basics - timing runs, fist passing, shielding the tackle, shot selection - Dublin had. This is a technically excellent Tyrone side but once one or two of them fluffed their lines, it spread like wildfire. Happens at club level regularly. Shouldn't happen in an AISF.

Dublin did play 14 men behind the ball most of the game. It's how they play. But when they attack, they do it with such precision and speed that people glaze over the fact that their gameplan is suffocate and destroy. Always in that order.

Where Galvin and his team deserve most credit though is for how they shadowed and nullified Tyrone's links players. Harte, Donnelly, Sludden and McCann were all held to just a few fleeting moments, and instead it was the likes of Hampsey and McClure on the overlaps, which with the greatest respect to that pair, was the main reason for poor decision making. They basically toyed with their opponents and got Tyrone to tie themselves in knots. It was pure Mayweather-esque from Dublin.

Can Mayo give Dublin a game? Maybe. The biggest difference with Mayo will be that when left one-on-one, their defence is physically capable, and will win 75-80% of challenges; they've never enjoyed a blanket in front of them and as a result know how to play a man. The other key difference is that Mayo will find a way to to either drive Dublin's short kickouts back, or force Dublin long. Tyrone didn't win a single Clucko kickout in the first half today. That's just wrong.

Finally someone speaking a bit of sense, instead of the anti-tyrone guff.

You're right about the kickouts in the first half, I noticed too. When that was happening the writing was on the wall. We won 2 at the start of the second half thanks to colm cav but wides came our of them so it was pointless.

Bad day at the office all round. Onwards and upwards in 2018.

Zulu

All teams will get players back and the modern game means most teams will have 15 in their own half at times but Dublin and others don't set up that way, Tyrone do, and it was their downfall today. They would probably have lost playing any system but more orthodox formats would have given them a chance.