Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

That game ended in 4th minute.I think.Mickey Harte's time is up.Tyrone are as far away.from Sam as ever.

Itchy

I think today was a great result for the GAA. Tyrone are the masters of mass defence and counter and an attacking team thrashed them. Now the GAA world must look at Dublin and realise that this tactic will not be good enough. I hope it's the death of this horrible style of football. No harm to Tyrone, they must now realise that there is no point coming with that game plan next year. The rest of the serious counties must now realise the same.

Wildweasel74

Mickey Harte been minicing Donegal style and took it to an extreme for nearly 4 years now, brutal to watch even for Tyrone people, but that team had forwards in Murphy, McFadden,and Mcbreaty, If Mickey Harte stays on as most Tyrone want, where is it going to go, there is not an all-ireland in this Tyrone team and plan B and C seems to be non -existent, 7 points down and still 13 men behind a ball, says it all really!

under the bar

Quote from: T Fearon on August 27, 2017, 07:06:43 PM
That game ended in 4th minute.I think.Mickey Harte's time is up.Tyrone are as far away.from Sam as ever.

In that case we will just have to settle for being the best in Ulster Tony!    What does todays result say for for Armagh?  😉

Zulu

Lets hope so but it was found out years ago. It was noticeable today that Dublin actually slowed down their attacks at times even when they had the opportunity for going at the Tyrone defence. They were clearly determined to play keep ball even when they didn't have to. This is why a blanket defence will never win an All Ireland again as good teams will simply recycle the ball, keep players wide and patiently pick holes in the defence. The other obvious ploy Dublin were engaging in was a refusal to take on pot shots or low percentage shots as they didn't want to give possession back to Tyrone. Instead they recycled and bored the life out of Tyrone.

rodney trotter

Some difference in the power and size of the Dublin forwards compared to Tyrones. A lot of Tyrone forwards are under 6ft. Mulgrew, Bradley, Sludden, O Neill , McCurry. Stocky players.

imtommygunn

A lot of teams are physically conditioned to take big hits but they fall down in the athleticism stakes. Dublin can take the hits and have mobiity everywhere. To be fair mayo have that in quite a few players too - higgins, boyle, keegan and doherty in the corner. Tyrone don't have that at all.

tonto1888

Hopefully that ends the myth that getting close to Dublin in the league means anything come an AI QF/SF or final

Itchy

Really looking forward to the final, should be a classic. I think Mayo will push Dublin all the way.

T Fearon

Under the bar,never mind Armagh I think Dublin's last two games are a shocking commentary on Ulster Football in general.I don't think Sam will be here anytime soon.

Wildweasel74

"But not once have Dublin "done a job" on a team in an All-Ireland semi-final or final."

Sorry Sid i think that been fixed today!!!

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2017, 07:23:27 PM
A lot of teams are physically conditioned to take big hits but they fall down in the athleticism stakes. Dublin can take the hits and have mobiity everywhere. To be fair mayo have that in quite a few players too - higgins, boyle, keegan and doherty in the corner. Tyrone don't have that at all.

Even the not obviously big Dubs can really plough on and take a hit without losing speed. Obviously then you have the likes of McCarthy who is a beast to stop.
Mayo would have plenty to find the gaps and are deceptively strong too.

Tyrone didn´t even commit to breaking the tackles and running straight to draw a foul or get through...that´s the worst thing.

Imagine what Tyrone players must be thinking now after going out with no real conviction.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

thewobbler

A few things from today.

Dublin did something very similar to what Kerry did to Donegal in the 2014 final. They completely mirrored their opponents' system of play and just did it better; indeed, much better. The early goal basically finished Tyrone as they're set up entirely as a counter attacking side, and from that moment in time were completely out of their comfort zone.

It was odd just how much better control of the basics - timing runs, fist passing, shielding the tackle, shot selection - Dublin had. This is a technically excellent Tyrone side but once one or two of them fluffed their lines, it spread like wildfire. Happens at club level regularly. Shouldn't happen in an AISF.

Dublin did play 14 men behind the ball most of the game. It's how they play. But when they attack, they do it with such precision and speed that people glaze over the fact that their gameplan is suffocate and destroy. Always in that order.

Where Galvin and his team deserve most credit though is for how they shadowed and nullified Tyrone's links players. Harte, Donnelly, Sludden and McCann were all held to just a few fleeting moments, and instead it was the likes of Hampsey and McClure on the overlaps, which with the greatest respect to that pair, was the main reason for poor decision making. They basically toyed with their opponents and got Tyrone to tie themselves in knots. It was pure Mayweather-esque from Dublin.

Can Mayo give Dublin a game? Maybe. The biggest difference with Mayo will be that when left one-on-one, their defence is physically capable, and will win 75-80% of challenges; they've never enjoyed a blanket in front of them and as a result know how to play a man. The other key difference is that Mayo will find a way to to either drive Dublin's short kickouts back, or force Dublin long. Tyrone didn't win a single Clucko kickout in the first half today. That's just wrong.

Tubberman

Quote from: under the bar on August 27, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 27, 2017, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2017, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2017, 06:22:12 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 27, 2017, 06:17:50 PM
Hats off Syferus, you were absolutely right. ;)

I don't take any glee in a proper GAA county being out-classed by a corporation with every advantage imaginable. In most other eras Tyrone would indeed be AI challengers with their current team.

Yes! But let's not say that to loud! Tyrone have been sheltered by narrow defeats to Kerry and Mayo from meeting Dublin. It's always easy to criticise how poor teams are against the Corporate monster until you play them in their home turf in Championship.

Mayo sees to be able to . You're not good enough and that's it. And thankfully we won't have to watch any of the crap you masquerade as Gaelic Football till next year

A somewhat classless post from a man who claims to have AI medals yet engages in bar-room taunts rather than showing the grace in victory shown by those who've really done it all.  ::)

The absolute bile he posted about Mayo last year and the year before isn't forgotten either - I suppose there'll be more of the same for the next 3 weeks
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2017, 02:21:54 PM
I'm hearing that at training they have been playing Aidan McCrory at 14.

Obviously you had some inside knowledge.