Mcgeeney and a little bit about McStay

Started by sligoman2, July 31, 2017, 01:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

It would be great to get an opinion from the great Tony Fearon or some of the opinionated Roscommon contributors.

;) :D :D :D
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 01, 2017, 02:59:43 AM
It would be great to get an opinion from the great Tony Fearon or some of the opinionated Roscommon contributors.

Busy with August football.

sligoman2

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2017, 03:22:18 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on August 01, 2017, 02:59:43 AM

Busy with August football.
You can thank McStay for that..  my point exactly.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

McStay and McGeeney are well rewarded for their efforts unlike the many thousands of GAA volunteers who don't and wouldn't take a cent for their efforts. Both well able to dish out the criticism too, especially McStay from his paid position in RTE. I'd suggest that there are many more better placed for your sympathy.

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2017, 12:30:08 PM
McStay and McGeeney are well rewarded for their efforts unlike the many thousands of GAA volunteers who don't and wouldn't take a cent for their efforts. Both well able to dish out the criticism too, especially McStay from his paid position in RTE. I'd suggest that there are many more better placed for your sympathy.

In fairness to mcstay, he gave up his cushy RTÉ number to go out and prove himself. First with Brigids and now with Ross

Itchy

So will McGeeney survive that hammering?

Throw ball

Quote from: Itchy on August 06, 2017, 03:44:14 PM

Cannot see why not. Once Armagh got over Westmeath  I think he was OK for next year.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Itchy on August 06, 2017, 03:44:14 PM
they were lucky to get that far imho
westmeath should have beaten them
he'd be out of a job then

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2017, 01:14:48 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2017, 12:30:08 PM

In fairness to mcstay, he gave up his cushy RTÉ number to go out and prove himself. First with Brigids and now with Ross

He was still with RTE when he won the club AI.

Fairly found out today.

macdanger2

Good man, no response from you until after the fact  ::)

Maybe just beaten by a better and better conditioned team. Would be surprised if he doesn't make a SF with Ross before he leaves

Have any of the other football analysts proven themselves as managers?

smelmoth

Very interesting to note the comments of McGeeney post Saturday's debacle. The recurring themes are we don't have the players, don't have the history, the players bottled it, players didn't implement the game plan.

Surely the game plan, the man management in preparation and game management from the side line must also be questioned????

I suppose the things that differentiates the second category from the first is that the solutions to the latter are more obvious and more immediate

manfromdelmonte

couldn't believe how calm McStay and McHale were on the sideline today.
I'd have been going ballistic with all the off the ball stuff going on

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 07, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
couldn't believe how calm McStay and McHale were on the sideline today.
I'd have been going ballistic with all the off the ball stuff going on

Commentary said McStay was going mental with the referee about holding off the ball.

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 07, 2017, 07:33:46 PM
Good man, no response from you until after the fact  ::)

Maybe just beaten by a better and better conditioned team. Would be surprised if he doesn't make a SF with Ross before he leaves

Have any of the other football analysts proven themselves as managers?

WTF? I responded up the page to the initial poster and haven't been on since you posted. My views on McStay haven't changed, I've been pretty consistent.

Mayo must have done some training during the week to improve that much it terms of ability and conditioning. And without their best player last week too. Amazing.

If he had kept his cool on the sideline last week and moved Enda Smith in the first half he'd have made a semi final already.

LCohen

Quote from: smelmoth on August 07, 2017, 07:44:09 PM
Very interesting to note the comments of McGeeney post Saturday's debacle. The recurring themes are we don't have the players, don't have the history, the players bottled it, players didn't implement the game plan.

Surely the game plan, the man management in preparation and game management from the side line must also be questioned????

I suppose the things that differentiates the second category from the first is that the solutions to the latter are more obvious and more immediate

Totally agree.

Too much of that management team are there because of their playing career. Meaningful achievements in coaching and management are difficult to identify.

If there was a full clear out of our management team I don't think many if any counties would come looking for them. Denis Hollywood is included in that