Dublin vs Monaghan, Saturday 5th August @ 6pm

Started by straightred, July 30, 2017, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2017, 12:02:13 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Can't see this team startin but how and ever:

http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273918

As far as I remember, the team that Monaghan normally release is just the team that actually started the previous game.

I'd expect a change or two, McCarron might come back in for Freeman while I reckon McCarthy will be kept in reserve again. If Jack could perform anything like he did against Dublin in the league then that would be very welcome!
It was smart move by Malachy to blood Freeman in a profile championship game that we were always going to win :)

3 years ago we played Dublin at a same stage, we were doing okay even if the Dubs were slightly edging the early exchanges, the Dubs were just beginning to motor when Walsh did in his ACL after 20 mins but played on and I think the two goals were scored his way
Nothing worse than an early knock out punch, never mind two of them.
I predict a closer game this time than that hammering :)

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on August 04, 2017, 11:08:28 AM
Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2017, 12:02:13 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Can't see this team startin but how and ever:

http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273918

As far as I remember, the team that Monaghan normally release is just the team that actually started the previous game.

I'd expect a change or two, McCarron might come back in for Freeman while I reckon McCarthy will be kept in reserve again. If Jack could perform anything like he did against Dublin in the league then that would be very welcome!
It was smart move by Malachy to blood Freeman in a profile championship game that we were always going to win :)

3 years ago we played Dublin at a same stage, we were doing okay even if the Dubs were slightly edging the early exchanges, the Dubs were just beginning to motor when Walsh did in his ACL after 20 mins but played on and I think the two goals were scored his way
Nothing worse than an early knock out punch, never mind two of them.
I predict a closer game this time than that hammering :)

Yup - those 2 goals so close together after the injury were the definition of a sucker punch in that game (I think one of the goals was definitely scored off Walsh and the other he was at least partially responsible)

twohands!!!

With McCarthy in midfield and McCaffrey in the forwards my first reaction to that lineup was are Dublin going more defensive?

Looks to be a bit of a peculiar starting 15 - wouldn't be surprised if it was a dummy one.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 04, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
With McCarthy in midfield and McCaffrey in the forwards my first reaction to that lineup was are Dublin going more defensive?

Looks to be a bit of a peculiar starting 15 - wouldn't be surprised if it was a dummy one.

Yeah, Jack Mc isn't much use on the front foot alright..

Cunny Funt

1-17 was conceded against Kildare. August bank Holiday weekend is normally a good time to go a bit more defensive.

ashman

Is James McCarthy the best player in the country ?

I think he certainly is Dublin's most important ?

Hound

Don't think its a dummy one myself.

Dublin's basic formation is three lines of 3 (so McCaffrey part of the third line), then Kilkenny at centre forward and the other 4 forwards interchangeable between the FF line and wing forward. Opposition will very likely play no more than 2 in FF line, leaving O'Sullivan free to sweep. Although occasionally COS will be given a designated man marking job, leaving others to sweep. All defenders free to get forward when opportunity arises, but equally if someone like Fintan Kelly makes a run goalwards, one of the forwards will be expected to track back.

With O'Callaghan and McCaffrey effectively replacing Connolly and Flynn, and Macauley gone from midfield, we are miles weaker in the air. But if Monaghan concede our kickouts, that won't be tested and our running game is arguable improved.

The one caveat to all of the above is whether we've someone back from injury that might be sprung, such as Macualey or Flynn. Gavin is saying everyone is fully fit, but there's no strong rumours of changes.

straightred

Great day of sport ahead. Kicks off with Celtic unfurling the league flag and then off to Croker for what should be 2 good games. If they're as good as last Saturdays double header I'll be well pleased.

I'm expecting tyrone and dublin to come through but I do think they'll be tight enough games. Monaghan have given dublin plenty of trouble since the 2014 blowout and they certainly won't be beaten before a ball is kicked (unlike many teams they play). Can't really make judgements on the lineups until we know what they really will be. I'd say monaghan would be happy with dublin's published team and in particular that dublin haven't gone for a target man full forward. I think monaghan have to start mccarron this week. I can understand holding mccarthy back to the 2nd half but they can't leave both of them off till then

macdanger2

oakleaflad

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2017, 06:01:30 PM
Sky sports arena available on mobdro now
Just me or is the stream very stop start? Anyone have any links to the game?

macdanger2

Quote from: oakleaflad on August 05, 2017, 06:06:45 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2017, 06:01:30 PM
Sky sports arena available on mobdro now
Just me or is the stream very stop start? Anyone have any links to the game?

Yeah, V poor

The Trap

Zulu