All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on July 23, 2017, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2017, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 23, 2017, 05:29:18 PM
Very interesting game.
We'll see Sunday what Ros are really made of.

We'll see what Galway are made of first..
No we won't actually. We're not good enough to beat Kerry & we know we're not.
We're not strong enough defensively to cope against that Kerry side.
Personally I don't think Roscommon are good enough to beat Mayo.
But sure we'll find out on Sunday.

You can think what you want. It didn't bother Roscommon before the Connacht final and it definitely won't now.

All the talk was of Galway winning in Croker this year, making an AISF. Well, now's your shot. Excuses before the fact have always been an ugly thing. I can only imagine what would have happened in the Connacht final if our team had bought into the accepted logic.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2017, 06:06:50 PM
Very interesting game.

You can think what you want. It didn't bother Roscommon before the Connacht final and it definitely won't now.

All the talk was of Galway winning in Croker this year, making an AISF. Well, now's your shot. Excuses before the fact have always been an ugly thing. I can only imagine what would have happened in the Connacht final if our team had bought into the accepted logic.
Excuses? Are you for real? Saying that we're not good enough to beat Kerry is an honest opinion not an excuse!
Are you simple?
You're changing the topic of this thread as usual when it suits yourself to avoid the subject.
It has its own thread ffs.
Anyone else have an opinion on the game that this thread is suppose to be about?

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on July 23, 2017, 06:28:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2017, 06:06:50 PM
Very interesting game.

Excuses? Are you for real? Saying that we're not good enough to beat Kerry is an honest opinion not an excuse!
Are you simple?
You're changing the topic of this thread as usual when it suits yourself to avoid the subject.
It has its own thread ffs.
Anyone else have an opinion on the game that this thread is suppose to be about?

Nice.

weareros

Funny enough as I commiserated with a few Galway supporters in the Galway Bay after the Connacht final, they said sure the last time this happened we won the All-Ireland. It's a bit similar in that we are playing Connacht opposition again and make no mistake, if we lose to Mayo on Sunday, the Connacht final win, a great as it was, will mean nothing. It will be considered a once off ambush, and we'll be relegated to third best team in Connacht irrespective of what happens in the Galway/Kerry game. And righty so. Galway's dismantling of Donegal has got the media swanning over them again, and they were brilliant in Sligo yesterday. In the lead up to the inaugural 1/4 final in 2001, there was sense of doom in Roscommon that we would not beat them the second time. And so it came to be. The scenic route had sharpened Galway, fixed their issues from Tuam, while Ros were flat and game was over at half time. Despite how yesterday's game ended, it was evident that Mayo's forward play was much sharper by a long shot yesterday than the games against Galway and Derry. The players they need to play well for them are playing very well - eg the O'Connors, AOS, Keegan, etc.. It will be an intriguing game, very much a team of young guns versus the hardened dogs of war. I believe we have players unlike 2001 who will not go into this game with the psychological burdens of believing they will always lose to Mayo, as it's a team largely made up of the U21 teams used to winning. But it will take the game of their lives. They are young, and still without the physical condition of the current Mayo team, or the big game experience in Croke Park. Bring it on.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on July 23, 2017, 07:28:05 PM
Funny enough as I commiserated with a few Galway supporters in the Galway Bay after the Connacht final, they said sure the last time this happened we won the All-Ireland. It's a bit similar in that we are playing Connacht opposition again and make no mistake, if we lose to Mayo on Sunday, the Connacht final win, a great as it was, will mean nothing. It will be considered a once off ambush, and we'll be relegated to third best team in Connacht irrespective of what happens in the Galway/Kerry game. And righty so. Galway's dismantling of Donegal has got the media swanning over them again, and they were brilliant in Sligo yesterday. In the lead up to the inaugural 1/4 final in 2001, there was sense of doom in Roscommon that we would not beat them the second time. And so it came to be. The scenic route had sharpened Galway, fixed their issues from Tuam, while Ros were flat and game was over at half time. Despite how yesterday's game ended, it was evident that Mayo's forward play was much sharper by a long shot yesterday than the games against Galway and Derry. The players they need to play well for them are playing very well - eg the O'Connors, AOS, Keegan, etc.. It will be an intriguing game, very much a team of young guns versus the hardened dogs of war. I believe we have players unlike 2001 who will not go into this game with the psychological burdens of believing they will always lose to Mayo, as it's a team largely made up of the U21 teams used to winning. But it will take the game of their lives. They are young, and still without the physical condition of the current Mayo team, or the big game experience in Croke Park. Bring it on.

Donegal are the worst team in D1 next year, indeed I'd safely say we're objectively better than them. I think even Cork might have worked them they've been playing that bad this year.

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
I believe the last year that Ros won their match following a Connacht final win was 1980. Surely it is time to do it again.
The psychology of this match will be worth a few points. If Ros can go for the jugular they must have a chance.

Jaysus, insightful stuff

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
One part of me fears we had ONE BIG GAME in us and 9 months to hone in on it.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.

That's what I thought could come against roscommon but the fact that it's mayo will counteract that imo

Lar Naparka

I believe the last year that Ros won their match following a Connacht final win was 1980. Surely it is time to do it again.
The psychology of this match will be worth a few points. If Ros can go for the jugular they must have a chance.
[/b]
Depends on whose jugular the are going for, doesn't it?
Going by their track record, it will definitely be their managers as they have a record second to none when it comes to given those gentlemen the bum's rush. McStay should be afraid, very afraid, if they implode as usual.
I mean Carr and Maughan were both army men and so was McStay and there's no reason to believe the sheep shaggers will treat him and different to the other two. :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Bejases Lar ye fairly shafted a few oul managers ye're selves obverse the years.
Remember Moran/Morrison and Holmes/Connelly....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 23, 2017, 09:05:32 PM
[/b]
Going by their track record, it will definitely be their managers as they have a record second to none when it comes to given those gentlemen the bum's rush. McStay should be afraid, very afraid, if they implode as usual.
I mean Carr and Maughan were both army men and so was McStay and there's no reason to believe the sheep shaggers will treat him and different to the other two. :D

Carr got 3 years and Maughan 2. Half a decade of the pair of them was plenty. McStay will get a third year. Very spiteful post, Lar. I can see the pressure is getting to ye already.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 23, 2017, 09:04:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
One part of me fears we had ONE BIG GAME in us and 9 months to hone in on it.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.

That's what I thought could come against roscommon but the fact that it's mayo will counteract that imo

We were planning that ''ONE BIG GAME'' around playing Mayo or Galway so it's hardly as if we haven't Mayo well scouted this year. The nine months rubbish might have made sense if it was Cork or Donegal (if you're a bit slow and think a D1 team isn't going to readjust its focus past early July) but not when it's the other team the whole process was planned around playing.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 23, 2017, 09:05:32 PM
[/b]
there's the Mayo class coming through
Kevin is well known and generally liked in Roscommon

Carr are Maughan were assholes though. Maughan ruined quite a few decent Roscommon players

Il Bomber Destro

From the Bunker