We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Those facebook pages are facebook pages, that's it, they wont represent all Dublin fans, lots of fans don't give a crap about it and just want to go and watch the game and cheer on their team.

Some of those lads, like HILL16 Army only sprung up the last few years thinking Dublin are like Liverpool or United, They are not liked by the GAA, the Dublin county board or most Dublin fans, they are not grassroots with no affiliation to clubs. WhereasReservoir dubs are mostly club men or former club men. These are not and quite frankly its embarrassing so of the stuff they go on about.

Your man is 26 and immature. Has a go at everyone from the GAA to the Dublin county board, he feels he owed something.

Only thing I think is beneficial for all GAA fans that go to the hill is to get rid of that screen now, its served its purpose, the pitch invasion is dead in Croker Park.

Rant over.

RedHand88

Your man in charge of that Hill 16 army page seems to think he's the official voice of Dublin fans. Then when he relays false ticket information to 50k followers without waiting on official word and everyone laps it up it's the GAAs fault all of a sudden when it's not true.

TheGreatest

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2017, 01:00:01 PM
Your man in charge of that Hill 16 army page seems to think he's the official voice of Dublin fans. Then when he relays false ticket information to 50k followers without waiting on official word and everyone laps it up it's the GAAs fault all of a sudden when it's not true.

exactly, he jumped the gun and tried to blame the GAA and other parties. That's not good.

RedHand88

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 10, 2017, 01:20:51 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2017, 01:00:01 PM

exactly, he jumped the gun and tried to blame the GAA and other parties. That's not good.

In a desperate desperate bid to appear cool he has shot himself in the foot and is trying to shift the blame to an easy target, the faceless GAA.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 10, 2017, 12:53:59 PM
Those facebook pages are facebook pages, that's it, they wont represent all Dublin fans, lots of fans don't give a crap about it and just want to go and watch the game and cheer on their team.

Some of those lads, like HILL16 Army only sprung up the last few years thinking Dublin are like Liverpool or United, They are not liked by the GAA, the Dublin county board or most Dublin fans, they are not grassroots with no affiliation to clubs. WhereasReservoir dubs are mostly club men or former club men. These are not and quite frankly its embarrassing so of the stuff they go on about.

Your man is 26 and immature. Has a go at everyone from the GAA to the Dublin county board, he feels he owed something.

Only thing I think is beneficial for all GAA fans that go to the hill is to get rid of that screen now, its served its purpose, the pitch invasion is dead in Croker Park.

Rant over.

I'm not so sure about that part. The majority on there seem to spend their time taking the proverbial out of other counties. To me that's not the action of a real GAA person. We all love a bit of banter but some of the stuff said in there is downright nasty.

Lar Naparka

Rant over.
+1
The genuine Dub supporters are as sound as committed fans from any other county.
I know a false image can be projected when there's a big game in Croker when Dublin is playing. That's mainly because the Dub supporters tend to congregate on Hill 16 and the messers know they will get plenty of publicity there.
It's a pity that the antics of a small number can give the entire Dublin fanbase a bad name.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sid waddell

Quote from: mup on August 10, 2017, 03:30:20 PM

Rant over.

I'm not so sure about that part. The majority on there seem to spend their time taking the proverbial out of other counties. To me that's not the action of a real GAA person. We all love a bit of banter but some of the stuff said in there is downright nasty.
Why not?

TheGreatest

Gael85

Quote from: mup on August 10, 2017, 03:30:20 PM

Rant over.

I post on res dubs so dont where your getting the majority. It no different to fans opinions on here about Dublin. Obviously posters will be bias toward their county though most posters condemed Jonny Cooper and Connolly actions over the summer

Fuzzman

I go to a lot of games in Croker every year and meet all sorts of Dubs fans.
In my eyes there are a lot of fans who are now used to winning matches easily and not used to other teams getting in their faces to put them off.
Lots of them have never been at a game outside of Croke park and so they don't know that feeling where you're the away fans and are hugely outnumbered so you learn to keep your trap shut, even if you feel passionate about an incident.

The booing of free takers is one of my big pet hates when you play the Dubs. Some will say ahh it's up the free taker to have nerves of steel and it shouldn't really impact them but it definitely does have an impact on a players confidence. If he misses his first chance then right away the crowd will be getting inside his head.
Many Dubs will say it's no great advantage any more playing the top teams in Croker but if you have 60k+ booing you when lining up a tricky free kick it has a huge impact.

Of course the Dubs fans can get on their own teams back if things aren't going their way and hopefully we will see this in two weeks time but usually ye get the cheers for every pass after a certain stage of the game.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 14, 2017, 02:19:36 PM
I go to a lot of games in Croker every year and meet all sorts of Dubs fans.
In my eyes there are a lot of fans who are now used to winning matches easily and not used to other teams getting in their faces to put them off.
Lots of them have never been at a game outside of Croke park and so they don't know that feeling where you're the away fans and are hugely outnumbered so you learn to keep your trap shut, even if you feel passionate about an incident.

The booing of free takers is one of my big pet hates when you play the Dubs. Some will say ahh it's up the free taker to have nerves of steel and it shouldn't really impact them but it definitely does have an impact on a players confidence. If he misses his first chance then right away the crowd will be getting inside his head.
Many Dubs will say it's no great advantage any more playing the top teams in Croker but if you have 60k+ booing you when lining up a tricky free kick it has a huge impact.

Of course the Dubs fans can get on their own teams back if things aren't going their way and hopefully we will see this in two weeks time but usually ye get the cheers for every pass after a certain stage of the game.

Im sure your able to handle yourself coming from one of the most violent GAA counties.  ;)

its not Rugby. Boo away.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 21, 2017, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 11:04:26 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 21, 2017, 10:49:06 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 08:29:45 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 20, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 20, 2017, 04:36:15 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Mayo spending quite a bit too, if this is anything to go by.

U21 All Ireland winners and hurling team won the Nicky Rackard

Senior team played in Croke Park x 5 times. That's 5 overnight stays x 2 nights x 40-50 people approx.

Don't go then. You can see the big attendances in the league whenever the Dubs travel, Kerry, Cavan etc. That's not an advantage to the Dubs that you have to travel to games. Build a bigger stadium, oh sorry I forgot the stadium got bailed out by Croke Park. Cluxton said in his speech on Sunday he hopes we get a few more matches away as we love our away days out.

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 20, 2017, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 20, 2017, 04:08:57 PM
Lar, that's a lot of nonsense and you know it. Il address those points later as some of us actually work in Dublin.... unlike our GAA players what..... will all the time off and money they have.

The obsession continues.
TheGreatest, can I ask you simply, do you think that Dublin is at any advantage, no matter how small, compared to other counties, due to the level of funding they receive relative to other counties?

No, but definitely have advantages over other counties that have always existed, pool of players, resources, championship matches in Croke Park (which was always the case).

The majority of coaching money goes on Children, its not as if Cluxton is getting 100k for playing. Some people argue that some Dublin clubs have a bigger pool of players than some counties, which is true, so where do you think the money goes.

I can see both side of the coin, I really can, but I cant ignore is people moaning giving out and slandering every little tiny miniscule thing about Dublin. There wasn't much giving out when we getting laughed out of Croke Park by Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo. Who's laughing now.

Anyway the real GAA is the club and that's what most of you should be worried about is your club.

You could argue the 20 million, yes that's 20 million that Cork got from Croke Park for building their stadium, how much money will that generate for them over the years. Plus the training pitches beside, the Tyrone centre of excellence cost millions, the Clare centre of excellence, the new Kerry centre of excellence that will cost millions, the Kerry sponsorship, the wealthiest company ever to sponsor a team. The Croke park bailout of Kildare, the bailout of Mayo's stadium even with millions in the bank they still put the hand out. The Donegal money during the McGuiness era, the helicopters to training, some might say it was money that won it for Donegal.

There are some very good GAA in Dublin and they get disrespected at every turn.

Il post a post later from another forum in response to Spewan's Mcckenna's latest copy and paste hack job.

Okay I realise I am probably arguing with somebody who when they think of Financial Reporting they have an image of the hand counting 50 euro notes on RTE Six One News but I'll do my best!!!
Mayo County Board took out a loan of roughly 5 million euros with Ulster Bank & 5 million euros from the GAA to finance the refurbishment of McHale Park. They entered into a loan agreement that would have them repay the loan plus interest over certain amount of years. This loan as like all loans taken out by county boards was underwritten by the GAA HQ as a gurantor (bit like your parents did for your Leaving Cert Holiday personal loan this summer), intsead of using the asset i.e. McHale Park as collateral.
Now when the Mayo county board were struggling to make the annual repayment of the loan to Ulster bank GAA HQ decided to buy the loan off Ulster Bank so the Mayo Co Board would now repay the loan to Croke Park only.
Now here is the important part, to help the Mayo Co Board the GAA lengthened the term of the loan to reduce the annual repayments figure required each year but as a consequence Mayo will have to pay more interest on the Loan in the long run. So while Mayo Co Board will pay a lower annual loan repayment to help reduce day to day expenses they will be forced to carry the debt longer and WILL HAVE TO PAY BACK THE FULL AMOUNT PLUS INCREASED INTEREST OF ALL THE MONIES OWED ON THE LOAN!!!!

A bail out for example would be where the GAA took over responsibilty for and repaid the Ulster Bank Loan, leved all the other counties a charge to cover the cost of buying out the €10 million loan then charge Mayo a written down amount of say €3 million and the rest of the GAA membership carried the written down cost of €7 million as result of Mayo's mistakes!!

As fo Mayo having millions in the bank, if you look at their accounts they posted in 2015 & 2016 a Balance Sheet profit based on assets held similiar to the Balance Sheet profits posted by AIB & Anglo Irish Bank in 2007!!! Essentially in real terms Mayo take in just about enough money to cover the costs each year mainly by fundraising and increasing annual charges on the clubs plus the Chairde Mhaigh Eo season ticket.
They majority of the expenses are running the county senior & underage football & hurling teams along with the loan repayments compared to a tiny amount spent on coaching & development. The unequal expenses spend can be put down to the ridiculous mistakes made during the redevlopment of McHale park no doubt but also down to a smaller or non-existent it could be argued devlopment grant payments from Central Council!!!

I understand finance and accounting practices, im in the same game.

So why are spending so much on your senior team then if you cant afford it.?

Well we can afford it, just about anyway and the money spent on the team is money generated by Mayo Gaa members and sponsorship attained by Mayo GAA. Okay so the GAA agreed to the loan restructure but it's not as if the Mayo football team doesn't generate money for Croke park , no more than Dubs at the moment so it wasn't 100% a friendly gesture by the GAA to accept the loan restructure deal as they will come out on top in the end!!

I think the bone of contention for most non Dubs is the GAA realised the urban challenges Dublin faced 25 years ago in Football & Hurling and acted accordingly with the games development money along with a plan put in place by the Dub Co Board but with Dublin on strong footing now it is time for the GAA to realise the challenges faced by the rest of the counties!!

If the figures are true in respect of development grants form the GAA and Sports council then most Dubs could see why other counties would look on and wonder where this is all going to bring us??

For the GAA it is a no brainer, they have the proof that sustained investment in coaching and development of a counties underage structures is sucessful just look at Dublin as they stand today!!!

Outside of Tyrone and Kerry in football (with potentially Galway & Kildare also) where do we see a consistent developemt of talent at underage to challenge Dublin?

My own county Mayo can still produce the odd elite underage team but this is by accident rather than design as the money is just not there to sustain a 10 or 15 year plan!!

You could say why don't Mayo just cut the spending on the senior team but the majority of the funding for coaching at club and underage level comes on the back of the success of the senior team so it is a chicken and egg situation for the Mayo Co Board as it is I would guess in Roscommon,Leitrim,Clare,Cavan,Monaghan,Westmeath,Down,Armagh etc...

When the Dubs were struggling for success they had the GAA development money to kickstart the plans independent of the short term success of the senior football team!!

Paul Curran was half right when he wrote recently that counties need to invest in a longterm development plan rather than hire a big name county manager but without significant investment from the GAA as happened in Dublin then the counties only other revenue generator is a successful (in relative terms) senior intercounty teamwhich back most county boards into a corner!!

Mayo and Kerry are very similar in that both are rural counties where gaelic football is the main sport and have populations of 100k+. There are many counties in this bracket, the only real advantage I see Kerry having from other counties is that they are the sole football county in a hurling province and as such will always have a relatively straight forward route to the last 8, they know they'll be there every year without breaking sweat and can plan accordingly.

But as for underage teams, there is nothing really that suggests Mayo should be in anyway inferior than Kerry. If they're not as good as Kerry, then they are not doing things as well. Kerry are on for 4 in a row now but they were 19 years without one before they got the first of those current three in a row.

Dublin have all the advantages at the minute and I do believe this needs to be tackled but I think some people just use it as an excuse for failings.

If Tyrone, Mayo and Kerry can currently challenge Dublin now then why can't other counties like Meath, Kildare, Galway or Cork?

Tyrone currently do it with one of the lowest spends on their county team in the country. Dublin have always had the advantages but it is only when they got their structures right that they began to make use of those advantages.

Fuzzman

Do you disagree with me "The Greatest" and think being the home team and how they boo the free takers doesn't impact the players?

I'm curious what other grounds you've been to with Dublin in league games?
Compare how much easier it is for Cluxton to kick a 45 in the dying moments in a match compared to say Cillian O'Connor or Morgan for Tyrone.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 14, 2017, 02:52:20 PM
Do you disagree with me "The Greatest" and think being the home team and how they boo the free takers doesn't impact the players?

Compare how much easier it is for Cluxton to kick a 45 in the dying moments in a match compared to say Cillian O'Connor or Morgan for Tyrone.

The booing is an irrelevance with regards to Croke Park.

What is a much bigger advantage to Dublin is the way Croke Park plays, they are much more familiar with it than any side in the Championship and it is a completely different surface to any other provincial ground in the country.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 14, 2017, 02:52:20 PM

Home teams have advantages, its quite common in Sport. Making noise to try and put opposition off and intimidate is also popular in field sports. Its not tennis, Rugby (although seems only an Irish thing).

Look at some of the displays behind goals in American football, soccer, basketball etc. when a opposition free or conversion etc, its in a lot of sports. Creates atmosphere and I wouldn't apologise for it.

Relatively unknown to some on this site is that teams that lose are not as good as the teams that wins, Booing does not make a team lose, if your good enough etc.....