We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Lar, that's a lot of nonsense and you know it. Il address those points later as some of us actually work in Dublin.... unlike our GAA players what..... will all the time off and money they have.

The obsession continues.

Esmarelda

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 20, 2017, 04:08:57 PM
Lar, that's a lot of nonsense and you know it. Il address those points later as some of us actually work in Dublin.... unlike our GAA players what..... will all the time off and money they have.

The obsession continues.
TheGreatest, can I ask you simply, do you think that Dublin is at any advantage, no matter how small, compared to other counties, due to the level of funding they receive relative to other counties?

ballinaman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 20, 2017, 04:36:15 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Mayo spending quite a bit too, if this is anything to go by.

U21 All Ireland winners and hurling team won the Nicky Rackard

Senior team played in Croke Park x 5 times. That's 5 overnight stays x 2 nights x 40-50 people approx.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on July 20, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Senior team played in Croke Park x 5 times. That's 5 overnight stays x 2 nights x 40-50 people approx.

Don't forget the massive mileage costs western teams have just to assemble the panel a few times a week for training.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 06:31:18 PM

Don't forget the massive mileage costs western teams have just to assemble the panel a few times a week for training.
True, 6-8 grand per player based in Dublin I've heard.

shark

These lists need to be taken with massive bucket of salt. What county boards spend on their senior teams does not correlate with what the senior teams spend, in many cases. I have first hand experience of outside money going directly to a county senior team to support their efforts, which the county board never saw and had little knowledge of.
The big jump in Mayo's spend could well be due to money like this actually being accounted for properly in 2016, when it wasn't previously.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on July 20, 2017, 03:53:25 PM
So how do you account for the Kerry team of 75-86 Lar?

Beating everybody out of sight and rampaging through Munster?
Valid point Butt, but I suspect you already know the answer.
Maybe you should throw in the Galway team of the mid-60s and the Kilkenny hurlers of recent times while you are at it.
Kerry got a nasty shock when Heffo's team came along and wiped the floor with them in the mid-70s. Heffo had the first half decent organised team at the time.
I mean I've seen players in Croke Park wearing different colour socks before Heffo came along.
Kerry went away, licked their wounds and came back looking for vengeance. To their credit, they found it.
The Dublin team of that time was as least as talented as the present side and the same could be said for the Kerry team of that era also.BUt apart from talent, a shrewd manager and a dollop of luck, Kerry had no other advantage over any other side.I believe that Dublin could have stayed the pace a bit longer but internal wrangling fucked 'em up. If you'll pardon my French.
As I keep saying the twin towers of Professionalism and Science give Dublin a distinct advantage over any other team in the land.
This is a genuinely talented side but so are several others.  If Mayo and Dublin had switched places in last year's All Ireland, would you accept that Mayo most likely would be the AI holders now?
It's money and what can be bought with it that is the making or breaking of any serious AI contenders nowadays. Dublin have more and have less overheads than any other county so the  chances are that it will perform better than any other country over a period of time.say, every 5 years or so.
I'd say the Blue Wave goals are correct; Dublin should win about 3 out of every 5. BBTW, luck as has been the case with Dublin in recent times plays a part too. Kerry had a few close shaves during the period of dominance you mentioned.
If I were a Dub, I wouldn't bother my posterior coming up with lame,excuses to try and justify my team's dominance over everyone else. Put it down to happenstance, positive karma, sheer good luck or whatever yer havin' yerself.
The fact is that the Blue Wave will capsize every other boat in sight for the foreseeable future.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: shark on July 20, 2017, 06:42:45 PM

These lists need to be taken with massive bucket of salt. What county boards spend on their senior teams does not correlate with what the senior teams spend, in many cases. I have first hand experience of outside money going directly to a county senior team to support their efforts, which the county board never saw and had little knowledge of.
The big jump in Mayo's spend could well be due to money like this actually being accounted for properly in 2016, when it wasn't previously.
Yup, you got it in one.
Remember the bizarre press release by Holmes and Connelly? It was evident that that particular statement had been cobbled together from a number of different sources- possibly because of legal reasons but whatever, the reason(s) t was very disjointed. If you recall, Connelly referred to a disagreement over travel arrangements with Noel Howley. THere was no attempt made to tie that row in with the players' decision to rebel so we were left guessing. Same can be said of an oblique statement by Connelly that all monies collected should go through the County Board (or something like that.) He was referring to a dispute over money collected at a fundraiser in New York but, again, there was no logical link to the players' unhappiness with their management.
I'd say Mayo are no different to any other county in this regard. not all money collected shows up in the official returns.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

TheGreatest

Don't go then. You can see the big attendances in the league whenever the Dubs travel, Kerry, Cavan etc. That's not an advantage to the Dubs that you have to travel to games. Build a bigger stadium, oh sorry I forgot the stadium got bailed out by Croke Park. Cluxton said in his speech on Sunday he hopes we get a few more matches away as we love our away days out.

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 20, 2017, 04:30:06 PM

The obsession continues.
TheGreatest, can I ask you simply, do you think that Dublin is at any advantage, no matter how small, compared to other counties, due to the level of funding they receive relative to other counties?

No, but definitely have advantages over other counties that have always existed, pool of players, resources, championship matches in Croke Park (which was always the case).

The majority of coaching money goes on Children, its not as if Cluxton is getting 100k for playing. Some people argue that some Dublin clubs have a bigger pool of players than some counties, which is true, so where do you think the money goes.

I can see both side of the coin, I really can, but I cant ignore is people moaning giving out and slandering every little tiny miniscule thing about Dublin. There wasn't much giving out when we getting laughed out of Croke Park by Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo. Who's laughing now.

Anyway the real GAA is the club and that's what most of you should be worried about is your club.

You could argue the 20 million, yes that's 20 million that Cork got from Croke Park for building their stadium, how much money will that generate for them over the years. Plus the training pitches beside, the Tyrone centre of excellence cost millions, the Clare centre of excellence, the new Kerry centre of excellence that will cost millions, the Kerry sponsorship, the wealthiest company ever to sponsor a team. The Croke park bailout of Kildare, the bailout of Mayo's stadium even with millions in the bank they still put the hand out. The Donegal money during the McGuiness era, the helicopters to training, some might say it was money that won it for Donegal.

There are some very good GAA in Dublin and they get disrespected at every turn.

Il post a post later from another forum in response to Spewan's Mcckenna's latest copy and paste hack job.

imtommygunn

He meant the mayo squad have to stay in a hotel,not him,  which is a big expense dublin do not have...

Dinny Breen

Dublin's bandwagon support do not travel the diehards and players might like it to an extent but no chance the GAA will move them out of their home ground. 13k in Portlaoise compared to 33k in CP for Westmeath game. €€€€€
#newbridgeornowhere

ashman

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 08:29:45 AM

Don't go then. You can see the big attendances in the league whenever the Dubs travel, Kerry, Cavan etc. That's not an advantage to the Dubs that you have to travel to games. Build a bigger stadium, oh sorry I forgot the stadium got bailed out by Croke Park. Cluxton said in his speech on Sunday he hopes we get a few more matches away as we love our away days out.

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 20, 2017, 04:30:06 PM

The obsession continues.

No, but definitely have advantages over other counties that have always existed, pool of players, resources, championship matches in Croke Park (which was always the case).

The majority of coaching money goes on Children, its not as if Cluxton is getting 100k for playing. Some people argue that some Dublin clubs have a bigger pool of players than some counties, which is true, so where do you think the money goes.

I can see both side of the coin, I really can, but I cant ignore is people moaning giving out and slandering every little tiny miniscule thing about Dublin. There wasn't much giving out when we getting laughed out of Croke Park by Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo. Who's laughing now.

Anyway the real GAA is the club and that's what most of you should be worried about is your club.

You could argue the 20 million, yes that's 20 million that Cork got from Croke Park for building their stadium, how much money will that generate for them over the years. Plus the training pitches beside, the Tyrone centre of excellence cost millions, the Clare centre of excellence, the new Kerry centre of excellence that will cost millions, the Kerry sponsorship, the wealthiest company ever to sponsor a team. The Croke park bailout of Kildare, the bailout of Mayo's stadium even with millions in the bank they still put the hand out. The Donegal money during the McGuiness era, the helicopters to training, some might say it was money that won it for Donegal.

There are some very good GAA in Dublin and they get disrespected at every turn.

Il post a post later from another forum in response to Spewan's Mcckenna's latest copy and paste hack job.

To address I think you have a point but your use of "Spewan" makes you look a bit vindictive.

The centres you mentioned are being funded by Co Boards following massive fundraising campaigns and much of this through the diaspora .  They have to do this because largely the facilities in these counties lag behind the big urban centres . 

Every metric is now favouring Dublin. 

Population , facilities ,  economic development , club structures , etc ,  central GAA funding ,  croke park for league and champ games and huge corporate sponsorship.

10 {or more?)of the Mayo panel live in Dublin .  Think of the logistical difficulty there.

There is a huge gap here and it is growing

armaghniac

Quote from: ashman on July 21, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
To address I think you have a point but your use of "Spewan" makes you look a bit vindictive.

The centres you mentioned are being funded by Co Boards following massive fundraising campaigns and much of this through the diaspora .  They have to do this because largely the facilities in these counties lag behind the big urban centres . 

Every metric is now favouring Dublin. 

Population , facilities ,  economic development , club structures , etc ,  central GAA funding ,  croke park for league and champ games and huge corporate sponsorship.

10 {or more?)of the Mayo panel live in Dublin .  Think of the logistical difficulty there.

There is a huge gap here and it is growing

Nobody can reasonably deny any of this.
But we'll still be told that other counties are unequal, that it is only a phase, that it isn't Dublin's fault, yadda yadda yadda.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
Dublin's bandwagon support do not travel the diehards and players might like it to an extent but no chance the GAA will move them out of their home ground. 13k in Portlaoise compared to 33k in CP for Westmeath game. €€€€€

Did Kildare vote to get Dublin out of CP for early Leinster games.At least 6 other counties of the 12 want to keep Dublin there.