We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
Leinster Minor titles  2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Leinster under 21 titles  2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Leinster Senior Titles 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

All Ireland Minor 2012

All Ireland u-21 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017

All Ireland Senior 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

This Phenomenal group a really doing the business! I mean how lucky are Dublin football to suddenly fall on such riches (excuse the pun) of talent! I know it is only a fad and will pass! :P

Yep, special time to be a Dub, along with club football going well too.

One of the reasons for this - https://www.buzz.ie/amp/gaa/long-read-how-dublin-breed-footballers-167510

Buttofthehill

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
Leinster Minor titles  2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Leinster under 21 titles  2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Leinster Senior Titles 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

All Ireland Minor 2012

All Ireland u-21 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017

All Ireland Senior 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

This Phenomenal group a really doing the business! I mean how lucky are Dublin football to suddenly fall on such riches (excuse the pun) of talent! I know it is only a fad and will pass! :P

Throw up Kerry's record too.not too shabby I'd guess.

Dinny Breen

Dublin's organic advantages

1. Population
2. Club championship and standard
3. Culture/tradition/heritage

Dublin's inorganic advantages

1. Finance
2. Home advantage

Marry the two and you get what you have. It's not as if they have fantastic infrastructure (a shithole for a stadium, no centre of excellence etc). You would expect to see massive growth in participation levels and new clubs growing by the dozen but you don't. Our money goes on developing their players first through their clubs and then their development squads and finally the elite support team Jim Gavin has assembled.

We are told this waa a great plan, every county should do the same, it's all spin and bolloxology.

Take away the money, home advantage and Dublin will still be competitive, that's the crux. Con O'Callaghan is a product of nuture and there is only dozens more on the way.

This is a national problem, a weak minded media will do nothing, afterall where is there biggest market?
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2017, 03:34:35 PM

1. Population

1. Finance
2. Home advantage

Marry the two and you get what you have. It's not as if they have fantastic infrastructure (a shithole for a stadium, no centre of excellence etc). You would expect to see massive growth in participation levels and new clubs growing by the dozen but you don't. Our money goes on developing their players first through their clubs and then their development squads and finally the elite support team Jim Gavin has assembled.

We are told this waa a great plan, every county should do the same, it's all spin and bolloxology.

Take away the money, home advantage and Dublin will still be competitive, that's the crux. Con O'Callaghan is a product of nuture and there is only dozens more on the way.

This is a national problem, a weak minded media will do nothing, afterall where is there biggest market?

I agree with all the above to extent. Dublin players and fans will agree with you that they want to play a lot more games outside of Croke park, Cluxton even said it in his speech on Sunday. Playing in Dublin all the time is an advantage which will be happily waived. Winning 4 out the last 5 leagues shows that Dublin can win anywhere in Ireland.

However, 5 current players father played and won All Irelands for Dublin = Natural sporting ability. Just like so many counties , to say players are products is not accurate.

mup

Quote from: Buttofthehill on July 19, 2017, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Its not a Dublin hate thread. Read the title.

It is so people like yourself can vent. Chill out man, more important things in life than the Dublin senior footballers have a good team once every 15 years.

People like me? People like me spend a lot of our time coaching kids. People like me spend a lot of our time in committee rooms. People like me spend a lot of our time setting up pitches for games. People like me give over a lot of our free time to try and give kids a chance no matter what their ability.

I'm perfectly chilled most of the time. But its grinds my gears when its dismissed out of hand that the fact that the Gaa have pumped millions in to Dublin Gaa has nothing got to do with their recent success.

Make light of it all you want. Calling posters 'people like me' is typical of the attitude of some of the Dub fans on here. Ever stop and think that it might be genuine concern with the way the Gaa is heading?

No? Didnt think so.

I'm probably taking this up wrong and I'm not directing this at you but I hate this insinuation that Dublin doesn't have this culture of people giving up their time to coach kids for the love of the game.im a primary teacher so I see first hand the level of volunteerism at schools level never mind clubs in Dublin.its not just a matter of throwing money at coaches. Dublin has at the very least the same level of volunteers who give up evenings,weekends,school holidays to coach kids.

I suppose their seems to be this attitude of the Dubs not having the same pride in the GAA as a whole in comparison to people from around the country.

If I insinuated that then its not what I meant. Of course there are hard working people at grassroots GAA in Dublin as there is in every other county. However it's a lot easier with the resources available within Dublin. How hard must it be for coaches in the likes of Westmeath to motivate kids after seeing their senior county team get a 31 point mauling at the hands of Dublin?

You might accuse me of being over dramatic but I see this being a huge national problem for the GAA within 10 years. They have been implicit in creating a super structure within their own organisation. They failed to foresee the problem with pumping millions into a county in the hope of raising the profile of the GAA in the capital. No doubt their 'plan' has worked for Dublin GAA but not for those outside it. No doubt it's a fantastic time to be a follower of Dublin GAA. Maybe just maybe those outside Dublin who are concerned about the GAA finances are genuinely concerned and not bitter as suggested by some Dublin fans.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2017, 03:34:35 PM

1. Population

1. Finance
2. Home advantage

I agree with all the above to extent. Dublin players and fans will agree with you that they want to play a lot more games outside of Croke park, Cluxton even said it in his speech on Sunday. Playing in Dublin all the time is an advantage which will be happily waived. Winning 4 out the last 5 leagues shows that Dublin can win anywhere in Ireland.

However, 5 current players father played and won All Irelands for Dublin = Natural sporting ability. Just like so many counties , to say players are products is not accurate.

Which is tied in with culture/heritage/tradition those young lads would have grown up with footballs trying to emulate their Dads, it's the very essence of nuture 1000s of hours kicking ball, being coached and corrected by an intercounty footballer, someone who understands what it takes, absolutely incalcable that kind of knowledge transfer.

Dublin and Kerry really have that tradition, a fantastic organic advantage, winning All Ireland's, Kilkenny in hurling as well and in 10 county sport that really stands out.
#newbridgeornowhere

manfromdelmonte

Laois and even Westmeath used to produce very good minor football teams.

now they cannot compete with Dublin and young talented lads in the county don't bother as they know the resources aren't in the county for a proper setup to compete and win a provincial title.
its not an even playing field in terms of how counties can develop players

Westmeath doesn't even have a training pitch or proper modern gym facilities.

TheGreatest

Here is some good insight into how the underage structures and development squads are run in Dublin by Shocko.

From September 2016y so probably posted before. https://www.buzz.ie/amp/gaa/long-read-how-dublin-breed-footballers-167510 

Would former inter- county players not coach underage teams in other counties? Probably not if they didn't get paid.......

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 04:15:15 PM
Here is some good insight into how the underage structures and development squads are run in Dublin by Shocko.

From September 2016y so probably posted before. https://www.buzz.ie/amp/gaa/long-read-how-dublin-breed-footballers-167510 

Would former inter- county players not coach underage teams in other counties? Probably not if they didn't get paid.......
there are arguments every year in rural counties about gear for U14 county squads or equipment for U16 squads
some lads involved with these squads often have to go off and find sponsorship to cover costs

Dublin don't have that issue.

Kilkevan

Thinking, as I do, that Gaelic football is a pure scutter of a sport, am I alone on this forum in not giving a bollix about Dublin?

mup

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 19, 2017, 05:51:51 PM
Thinking, as I do, that Gaelic football is a pure scutter of a sport, am I alone on this forum in not giving a bollix about Dublin?

And still you feel the need to comment.

Fear ón Srath Bán

You're on the wrong discussion board, ie, a troll.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Wildweasel74

I have no real problem with dublin but all 32 counties should get equal share of gaa funding no matter its population or no of the clubs! All are entering all-irelands on equal footing carlow; letrim; sligo; tyrone; galway; westmeath all are entitled to equal gaa funding! It may improve facilities which some counties like westmeath and poor home grounds like drogheda in louth are badly lacking

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 19, 2017, 06:22:45 PM

+1

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 19, 2017, 06:22:45 PM

It's a GAA discussion board, not a Gaelic fuball board
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU