Does it make sense now to restart the game with a kickout ?

Started by seafoid, August 10, 2017, 11:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

They actually put the starting the games by puckouts rule on trial in direct response to the Colin Lynch massacre of 1998.

Franko

Quote from: rosnarun on August 14, 2017, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: Franko on August 10, 2017, 02:09:15 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 10, 2017, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 10, 2017, 12:58:12 PM
While we're at it, hurling should be started/restarted after half time with a puck out. There's no skill, value or spectator appeal in the beating-about-the-ankles method currently in use.

That was tried in the past and wasn't taken up. There's nothing wrong with the throw in ball in hurling.

+1

Absolutely no need for a change here.  There may not be much skill but there's certainly competition and spectacle.
There's a video on youtube of the throw in of the 1998 Munster final replay.  For something that's apparently not entertaining, it's managed to rack up 60-odd thousand views.

Football fans remember Hurling is perfect no need for any changes at any time . there no defensive tactics no cynicism and no sweepers no black cards needed  and no new counties need apply,
  now feck off back to your bogball

Indeed, it's not our fault it's not broke.  No matter how some would wish it so.

Hardy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 14, 2017, 12:42:00 PM
They actually put the starting the games by puckouts rule on trial in direct response to the Colin Lynch massacre of 1998.

I didn't know/remember that. Do you remember the outcome - why it wasn't adopted? I can't imagine why they concluded that the ugly spectacle of the throw-in was preferable to a puck out and contest in the air for possession.

Mayo4Sam14

there no defensive tactics no cynicism and no sweepers no black cards needed  and no new counties need apply,
[/quote]

Waterford disagree
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2017, 02:14:54 PM

I didn't know/remember that. Do you remember the outcome - why it wasn't adopted? I can't imagine why they concluded that the ugly spectacle of the throw-in was preferable to a puck out and contest in the air for possession.

Maybe they concluded that that your opinion is wrong (heaven forbid they disagree with Meath's premier, all seeing, fountain of knowledge) and that it's actually NOT an ugly spectacle after all!

Bord na Mona man

Yes, it was brought in for the league in 2000. The article is from 2000 and not 2007 as the time stamp suggests. https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2000/0124/147471-gaa2/

If I recall, people found it a sterile way to start a game. They enjoy the theatre of the throw in. It wouldn't be the Munster Championship without a bit of WWE stuff at throw-in.

What people might not remember is that the Lynch incident was made worse by the actions of the ref Willie Barrett. The midfield players were wound up like loonies ready for him to throw in the ball. Then Barrett spots some bit of argy-bargy out at wing forward, he starts marching over towards there to dish out a lecture. Think about the times you had the dog primed to go for a walk. He's whimpering/barking and dancing on the spot. And then you delay for some reason and he goes bananas.

By the time Barrett got back to throw in the ball, the pot had well and truly boiled over.

Franko

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 14, 2017, 04:22:42 PM

Yes, it was brought in for the league in 2000. The article is from 2000 and not 2007 as the time stamp suggests. https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2000/0124/147471-gaa2/

If I recall, people found it a sterile way to start a game. They enjoy the theatre of the throw in. It wouldn't be the Munster Championship without a bit of WWE stuff at throw-in.

What people might not remember is that the Lynch incident was made worse by the actions of the ref Willie Barrett. The midfield players were wound up like loonies ready for him to throw in the ball. Then Barrett spots some bit of argy-bargy out at wing forward, he starts marching over towards there to dish out a lecture. Think about the times you had the dog primed to go for a walk. He's whimpering/barking and dancing on the spot. And then you delay for some reason and he goes bananas.

By the time Barrett got back to throw in the ball, the pot had well and truly boiled over.

Dare I suggest, but would that be anything to do with the "competition and spectacle" element of it?

Hardy

Quote from: Franko on August 14, 2017, 02:33:01 PM

Maybe they concluded that that your opinion is wrong (heaven forbid they disagree with Meath's premier, all seeing, fountain of knowledge) and that it's actually NOT an ugly spectacle after all!

Maybe you should lie down for a while.

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2017, 05:19:55 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 14, 2017, 02:33:01 PM

Maybe you should lie down for a while.

Maybe I could ask a few inter county footballers to show me how best to do that.